Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

For a long time I have been considering jumping into train games. I consider myself mainly a heavy gamer, in general and a wargamer in particular. But I try, and like everything.

For some time I consider Railroad Tycoon which was ready available at my FLGS, but the "toy factor" and the "hugeness" of the board stopped me from buying it.

Age of Steam was also under my radar. But, the different editions (how many are there, two or three?) and the fact that I had to order it from abroad stopped me from buying it.

Last of all, I also consider the 18xx games. I think (and this is just out of nowhere) that the 18xx are the "real" train games as people understand them, but many factors kept me from buying into them. The main factor was the large quantity of 18xx games out there. I couldn't really know if the games were published, DTP, P-and-P, do it yourself, expansions....

Finally I have bought (and liked) Steam. But this let me wondering whether this game was a "real" train game. Can you help me?

What are the differences between this series of games and Steam (the only one I know). Are they all similar but with only minor rules change? Are they completely different? Are they similar (constructing tracks, delivering goods) but different in the rules? What is the "share titles" part?

Thank you for your help!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you looking for in a railroad game? Do you want more business flavor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill,

I am not looking for something in particular. I am happy with my acquisition of Steam and I am looking forward to play it with different groups, but, I have been very curious in the last year as to what did train games had, and I want to know if they are all very similar or they are completely different.

I think that AoS and Steam are very similar, but what about the 18xx. Are the differences like the differences in ASLSK 1 to ASLSK 2 and to ASL (ASLSK 1 being Steam, ASLSK 2 being AoS and ASL being 18xx) or are they more like ASL to CC:E (completely different games).

And now that we are at it, what are this differences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 18xx games are a completely different set of games. Although there are superficial similarities (hexagonal tiles of track, connecting cities and towns, trains that can run (initially) between 2 destinations and then more as you upgrade, how you actually deal with these things is completely different. If Steam is a game that is a bit like juggling 3 balls at once, 18xx is like juggling a flaming club, a knife and an elephant while balancing on a unicycle and whistling Dixie. Even more different than the step from SL to ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stanley
United States
Nacogdoches
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to agree with Richard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Age of Steam Family (AoS/Railroad Tycoon/Steam) was developed from the Early Railways Series(Lancashire Railways, New England Railways, Australian Railways). Volldampf more or less is a part of the ERS. What separates the two is that the AoS family allows you to build track where you wish rather than claiming track routes. They all share qualities with each other, but certainly result in very different gaming experiences despite significant similarities.

The 18xx system feels quite different to me. Outside of the fact that you lay track in both 18xx games and the AoS family I find nothing else similar to the two systems.

In AoS/Steam you:
*Run one company efficiently for points.
*Opportunistically deliver from a limited amount of available cubes.
*Own your own track.
*Upgrade trains to allow for longer deliveries. It is the key to winning, but not essential to continue playing. Upgraded locos cost you more every turn.
*Bankruptcy comes when you drop below 0 on the VP track.
*Auction turn order and the right to special powers (or objectives) that you can get from turn to turn.
*Income based on track links
*Straightforward track.

In 18xx you:
*Can control multiple companies and will own parts of companies, all running independently from each other (sometimes intentionally inefficient).
*Win by having the most capital through cash on hand and in the value of stock.
*Earn from fixed deliveries that can be upgraded in value through the course of the game.
*Don't own the track you build rather you can reserve stations in the cities that track builds to (potentially blocking people from running through them).
*Money that companies make is not your own.
*Train capabilities will be upgraded but older trains will rust (disappear). If you have no trains you must buy more expensive trains that your company may not be ready to buy. If the company can't buy it, you must pay out of your pocket, selling stock if you must, going bankrupt and eliminated if you can't. This is what people talk about as the "Train Rush".
*Auction Private Companies in the beginning of the game that can give you income and special powers indefinitely.
*Income based on Cities.
*More diverse track options ("Y" junctions)

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
The 18xx games are a completely different set of games. Although there are superficial similarities (hexagonal tiles of track, connecting cities and towns, trains that can run (initially) between 2 destinations and then more as you upgrade, how you actually deal with these things is completely different. If Steam is a game that is a bit like juggling 3 balls at once, 18xx is like juggling a flaming club, a knife and an elephant while balancing on a unicycle and whistling Dixie. Even more different than the step from SL to ASL.

So you don't like 18xx then Richard?

To answer a question asked by the OP, there are a number of different printings of Age of Steam (the number depends on who you ask). They are all the same game although the components vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone! This was exactly what I was looking for with the post!!

I see that AoS/Steam/RRT are very similar games. Like Martin Wallace Waterloo, and MW Waterloo revisited, and the Completely Renamed MW Waterloo.

18XX is like a Richard Berg Waterloo.

Now I'll have to get a cheap, easily available (in Spain) 18XX!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Thank you everyone! This was exactly what I was looking for with the post!!

I see that AoS/Steam/RRT are very similar games. Like Martin Wallace Waterloo, and MW Waterloo revisited, and the Completely Renamed MW Waterloo.

18XX is like a Richard Berg Waterloo.

Now I'll have to get a cheap, easily available (in Spain) 18XX!!!!

Not to derail this thread too much, but 18AL is a fantastic compact intro game that still plays well for experienced gamers that just don't want to put in the long hours. Best of all it is a print & play game so you can make it yourself in your home without having to wait for one to be made, or pay high prices (with high shipping) to track one down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Pessina
Italy
Vimercate
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than this print & play version, which of the 18xx game series would you raccomend to begin with?
I love steam and AoS in general, but I'm quite interressed in "something more" :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Prometeo wrote:
Other than this print & play version, which of the 18xx game series would you raccomend to begin with?
I love steam and AoS in general, but I'm quite interressed in "something more" :)

Please read this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prometeo wrote:
I love steam and AoS in general, but I'm quite interressed in "something more"

If you don't mind waiting 9 months for a game, you should check out Deep Thoughts stuff. But keep in mind you could actually make a baby in the time it takes to see one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.