Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Bott
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking to create some discussion regarding Luck vs. Strategy in board games. In regards to Kill Doctor Lucky, what do you like or dislike about this game? Personally, I find that KDL has too much luck, and not enough interaction for my personal tastes. Some of my generalized thoughts on luck vs. strategy can be found at http://www.leggomyjuego.blogspot.com. Check it out, let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
KDL does have a lot of luck (I think that's the point...) but it does also have a lot of strategy. Not only in trying to catch the doctor alone, but in in the use of your cards.
Also bear in mind that this was always meant to be a spoof game, played for fun. The luck factor is more easily tolerated when the whole game is just played for laughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick C
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luck? well theres some.
But I'm not sure luck was all significant in boardagmes in general ensure my 1st 3 wins againts my gf. (Shes new to boardgames, and I wanted to test it out since i just got it.)

Note: Used a made up on the spot variant, 2 char each, seperate spike token collection but one hand a player. All other rules apply.

1st game, I started out with a hand of lots of failure cards and 2 move cards. I basically used the move cards to position to get more cards by being in the room when he comes, and with my failure cards, managed to 'outwait' and gained a strong hand, winning the game eventually.
My next starting hand was varied, I positioned him in a room with a weapon that gave bonus after a few previous attempts to wear down failure cards. Won by one failure point.
Last starting hand was FOUR weapon cards. Attempted to kill with wep cards twice, the 2nd one with a room bonus that clinched it. Used 3 move and 1 room card. Short game.

In each game, I adapted to my cards and play my strategy faster than she did. By the 3rd game, if I did not play my strategy quickly, I would likely have lost on the next next turn of my opponent. (She wised up quickly!)

Luck? Yea, but if you see your hand, look at the table and gauge the pieces, you can manipulate the game it if you know what you are doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.