Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have a couple of questions that popped up when playing with my girlfriend yesterday (she beat me soblue ) She was controlling the Mordor minions and I was the Free Peoples.

- In one battle, she played that card that allows you to get any card from the discard pile and instead. As the Shadow's card is resolved first, she then went on to choose one, the one that says that the FP's card is ignored. As I have played 'retreat', I suppose we did it right and I was unable to retreat?

- Gimli vs Orcs: this battle happened sometime mid-game. Both characters seem to have opposing resolutions. We played it that Gimli defeats the Orcs.

- Frodo was happily strolling through the mountains (without his ever faithful companion Sam, as he had fallen in combat) , when there comes a shadow minion wanting to enter in combat. That's when the fate of the ring was decided, and Middle-Earth lost. We still played cards, but I lost in combat. Can Frodo use his ability and retreat when attacked in the mountains?

PS I find this game a bit 'obscure', as the rules are really simple, but it's the interactions between cars, characters' abilities, location, etc. what can make a straightforward set of rules complicated.
Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the original version, not deluxe, but I think the answers are the same:

Echtalion wrote:
- In one battle, she played that card that allows you to get any card from the discard pile and instead. As the Shadow's card is resolved first, she then went on to choose one, the one that says that the FP's card is ignored. As I have played 'retreat', I suppose we did it right and I was unable to retreat?

Correct.

Echtalion wrote:
- Gimli vs Orcs: this battle happened sometime mid-game. Both characters seem to have opposing resolutions. We played it that Gimli defeats the Orcs.

Gimli does defeat the Orcs. (In my copy, that is explicitly stated in the rules entry for Orcs.)

Echtalion wrote:
- Frodo was happily strolling through the mountains (without his ever faithful companion Sam, as he had fallen in combat) , when there comes a shadow minion wanting to enter in combat. That's when the fate of the ring was decided, and Middle-Earth lost. We still played cards, but I lost in combat. Can Frodo use his ability and retreat when attacked in the mountains?

No, Frodo can only retreat sideways, and this is prohibited in the mountains. (Again, this is explicitly stated in the 'Frodo' entry of the rules in my original version.)

Echtalion wrote:
PS I find this game a bit 'obscure', as the rules are really simple, but it's the interactions between cars, characters' abilities, location, etc. what can make a straightforward set of rules complicated.

I'd say abstract rather than obscure, but would agree that the possible interactions are complex. That's probably why the game remains fresh after many plays, and why I think so highly of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of the character texts conflict, and you really need the FAQ (found here on BGG I think) to keep them straight and know which one overrides which other. But it's a really fun game all the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand what you say about character interaction. However the "rule" that every Fellowship character ability resolves first (except for the Warg) and shadow text cards resolve first makes it really simple in my opinion.

The thing I keep forgetting is that you can only have one char in the mountains >.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghosthack wrote:
I understand what you say about character interaction. However the "rule" that every Fellowship character ability resolves first (except for the Warg) and shadow text cards resolve first makes it really simple in my opinion.

The thing I keep forgetting is that you can only have one char in the mountains >.
Ah, but the warg only resolves first if the fellowship's power doesn't activate until after the fight begins. Aragorn, for example, can attack the warg sideways.

Anyway, yeah you can break it down to a few rules, but it's still a lot to remember (and easy to get wrong) unless you play it frequently.

Now the mountain rules I remember fairly easily. One per space; no sideways movement, no matter what your special power or card says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Ah, but the warg only resolves first if the fellowship's power doesn't activate until after the fight begins. Aragorn, for example, can attack the warg sideways.

True, I think it's the only exception (unless I'm forgetting any variant character), but I simply reasoned that if it already happened the Warg couldn't really stop it.

Anyway, that was my reasoning to keep me from checking the rulebook every 5 minutes and it's worked so far (I only got the game about for about 2 weeks ago).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the back of the rule book for the deluxe edition it has an excellent list of rulings of how all of the character's text's interact. After over 65 plays I've never had a question the rules itself doesn't answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
ghosthack wrote:

Anyway, yeah you can break it down to a few rules, but it's still a lot to remember (and easy to get wrong) unless you play it frequently.

Now the mountain rules I remember fairly easily. One per space; no sideways movement, no matter what your special power or card says.

Actually, the Flying Nazgul could attack sideways, if he starts his turn in the mountains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echtalion wrote:
wmshub wrote:
ghosthack wrote:

Actually, the Flying Nazgul could attack sideways, if he starts his turn in the mountains.
Another exception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.