Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Battle Line» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Big Bulleted Battle Blueprint! (Please Add Your Own Strategy Wrinkles.) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This article had gotten pretty out of date, as I have been updating it periodically on my own site. So I erased the old version here at BGG, and now you can find the always-up-to-date version here.

Apologies for the inconvenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Big Bulleted Battle Line Blueprint! (Please Add Your Own Strategy Wrinkles.)

Thanks for an excellent "lesson". I needed that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put this up a while ago with a call for others to add their own strategy tips. But nobody has added anything!

Surely my list can't be complete, right? Am I really the greatest Battle Line player who ever lived?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, I'd posted this stuff long ago:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/155170/tips-for-beginner...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're the first player, you start at a disadvantage as the second player can be "reactive" with each of your plays. It's a good idea to try and play two cards on the same flag early, so as to reverse these roles.

ALWAYS keep more open spaces on your side of the flag line than your opponent--not just towards the end of the game. The only exception is if you have an incredibly strong hand to play out numerous high-number straights.

If you draw the Scout tactic card, play it quickly. I find The Scout more advantageous in early game as it's more valuable to help you plan future moves and less valuable when you are in need of one or two specific cards.

Draw a tactic card early (I usually do in the first couple draws). Having a tactic card in your hand during the early part of the game helps you make some of the tough decisions that come with early play. For example, if I have a blue and yellow 8 in my hand and my opponent has already played a blue nine, I would probably plan to use my blue 8 as part of a set of 8s...unless I'm holding a Leader tactic card, in which case, I'm definitely holding out for a blue 6, 7, or 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin and Shane: thanks for these excellent contributions. I've gotten some new concepts from both. The subtleties of this little game never fail to amaze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
Kevin and Shane: thanks for these excellent contributions. I've gotten some new concepts from both. The subtleties of this little game never fail to amaze.

I couldn't agree with you more. Thank you for your list too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rosenberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shane wrote: "if you're the first player, you start at a disadvantage as the second player can be "reactive" with each of your plays. It's a good idea to try and play two cards on the same flag early, so as to reverse these roles."

this is GREAT advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrose1 wrote:
Shane wrote: "if you're the first player, you start at a disadvantage as the second player can be "reactive" with each of your plays. It's a good idea to try and play two cards on the same flag early, so as to reverse these roles."

this is GREAT advice.

I thumbed the whole strategy report for that tidbit alone! ...not that the rest of the information wasn't excellent. Maybe I'll finally be able to win against the wife!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lessons for Battle Line....These are all things I have learned over my many many plays.

The tip below is really more a goal. Often, against experienced players, the reality of a game is that you will not have a majority of straight flushes and 3 of a kind....but you should be threatening them most of the game. You can win a flag with common flushes or straights, especially later in the game.

milomilo122 wrote:
At the end of the game, your formations should consist almost entirely of straight flushes and 3-of-a-kind formations. Rarely should you form anything else, and when you do, it should only be at the end of a game when you have no choice. (Note however: when playing without the tactics cards, there will be more opportunities for playing weaker formations)

Some time, I'll have to revisit here with more Tatics card tips. I've got some good lessons learned to share. (but I'm at work right now and must get back to it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added more bullets and modified others recently. I hope that this thing isn't buried too deep in the site to be seen, because it's one of my better contributions to BGG and it's gotten better lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone dalla Chiesa
Italy
Cassina de' Pecchi
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread, it honors a superb game. Thank you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe there is an error in your strategy and tactics advice.

The article states:

•The order in which you play cards to a flag matters, if one of them is a tactics card. Sometimes you need to keep the tactics card for last (for example, if your opponent could still play the Deserter card). At other times, you need to play the tactics card before the others, if playing the others would allow your opponent to prove that you couldn’t complete a formation without a tactics card (which is all she needs to do to win the flag).

This is in violation of the rule:

On his turn and before drawing his card from the deck, a player may claim one or more Flags. In order to do so, he must have a completed formation of three cards on his side of the Flag, and he must be able to prove that TROOP cards on the opponent's side of the Flag cannot beat this formation.

Tactics Cards are not Troop Cards. The rules define what are Troop Cards and what are Tactics Cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
I believe there is an error in your strategy and tactics advice.

The article states:

•The order in which you play cards to a flag matters, if one of them is a tactics card. Sometimes you need to keep the tactics card for last (for example, if your opponent could still play the Deserter card). At other times, you need to play the tactics card before the others, if playing the others would allow your opponent to prove that you couldn’t complete a formation without a tactics card (which is all she needs to do to win the flag).

This is in violation of the rule:

On his turn and before drawing his card from the deck, a player may claim one or more Flags. In order to do so, he must have a completed formation of three cards on his side of the Flag, and he must be able to prove that TROOP cards on the opponent's side of the Flag cannot beat this formation.

Tactics Cards are not Troop Cards. The rules define what are Troop Cards and what are Tactics Cards.

I think you're confused on this rule. If you read the next paragraph in the rules, it makes things more clear:

"If the opponent's side also contains three cards, the situation is obvious. If the opponent's side contains less than three cards, the claiming player must prove that the opponent will not be able to create a winning formation, regardless of what Troop cards the opponent might play. For this purpose, the player may use the open information from the layout to show that certain cards are no longer available. The player may not use any information from his own hand. Unplayed Tactics cannot prevent a Flag claim." (emphasis added)

Which is to say that PLAYED TACTICS CARDS CAN prevent a flag from being claimed because (1) why would the rule clarify that "unplayed" tactics cards can't prevent a flag claim if they can't when they're played too? (the rule would simply say "tactic cards cannot prevent a flag from being claimed"), and (2) played tactics cards are part of the "open information from the layout" as the rules state are what players must use to prove/disprove a claim for a flag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:

This article had gotten pretty out of date, as I have been updating it periodically on my own site. So I erased the old version here at BGG, and now you can find the always-up-to-date version here.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

What happened to the server? I can't pull up the strategy page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Jonsson
Sweden
Sköndal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, same here. Pretty bad idea to move the important part of this thread off-site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rita Chen
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tip for anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future: you can find an archived version of this article on The Wayback Machine at archive.org.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What search terms need to be used. "Big Bulleted Battle Blueprint" alone doesn't match anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran Quinn
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
copy and paste the whole URL as it seems BGG breaks it up.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140724010835/http://www.boardgamestrategies.com/blog/battle-line-game-strategy-tactics-big-list/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.