14 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: What's it like with two people? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Melchior
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm about to move to Singapore with my family and my wife and I have been looking for a good 2 person game that will interest both of us. This sounds like a good bet, but a lot of games that are playable with 2 players don't really work with less than three.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game works great with two. My wife and I play it that way and have enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays just fine with two.

You will find people here saying that the game sucks with only two players, but that is mostly because when playing the online version it is VERY hard to set up a 3- or 4-player game so you mostly play with two over and over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stonebraker

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with 2, 3, and 4, and the experience is pretty much the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hardin
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It plays just fine with 2 people.

I think it plays better with more.

- Lex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plays fine. My daughter and I have over 20 plays, and we have always enjoyed it and found it competitive. It's easy to keep track of the other player, so you know what you have to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play almost all of my games with 3 or 4 (mostly 4), but I have played a few times with 2. I find it to be a different experience with 2, but still a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem I find is that certain attack cards are far less worthwhile in 2-player games. If you're seeing 2 cards with the Thief, it's far less useful than if you get to see 6. But...some cards are less useful than others, depending on the setup and the strategies you choose. That's the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree attack cards lose a little punch with only 2, but it's still the same game by and large. I'd say it changes less with only 2 players than most other games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I find it very good with 2-players - have probably had 15 two player games in the last 3 weeks.

I probably enjoy the game a fraction more with 3 or 4, but it is certainly fine with two.

The most annoying thing about 2-players is that quite often you don't have enough time to shuffle your cards as your wait time between turns (which is never long even with 4 players) is even less with 2. But this is a minor annoyance only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Renaud
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it with any number. We played a lot of games with 2 and it plays perfect and it's quick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I am in a minority here, but I dislike the game on 2. I guess I'm pretty picky with games for 2, but with only 2 players there are a lot of games I'd rather play than Dominion. As the game is practically a multiplayer solitaire with some disrupting mechanisms, it's probably basically just the same thing as with more players - you buy cards to try to set up your deck as good as possible, but… I just find it dull and uninteresting on 2. The only good thing as a 2-player game is that it's fast, and sometimes i'll whip it out but I never find myself playing more than once or twice. If I have more time than that, I'd pick something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
I guess I am in a minority here, but I dislike the game on 2... As the game is practically a multiplayer solitaire with some disrupting mechanisms...

So you basically dislike the game with any number of players.

And I'll have to remember this phrase - "a multiplayer solitaire with some disrupting mechanisms". I wonder on how many games you can apply this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
I guess I am in a minority here, but I dislike the game on 2... As the game is practically a multiplayer solitaire with some disrupting mechanisms...

So you basically dislike the game with any number of players.

Nope. You misinterpreted the two sentences, they didn't link as strongly as you read them. I didn't mean "I dislike the game on 2 because it's a multiplayer solitaire", but "I dislike the game on 2. [end of statement] As it's a multiplayer solitaire, one might argue that it's basically the same thing on any number of players but… I just find it dull and uninteresting on 2."

I might have tried to be as clear in the original post, but I just fell into the "no intonation pit trap" of internet fora.

baba44713 wrote:
And I'll have to remember this phrase - "a multiplayer solitaire with some disrupting mechanisms". I wonder on how many games you can apply this...

Probably tons, especially in my collection. Most race-to-a-set-number-of -victory-points games where there is little direct interaction, I'd say. I like multiplayer solitaire games, even on 2. Just not Dominion. Something lacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.