James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was rereading the Discworld series when I realized it had some similarities with Dominion. A lot of similarities, actually. That's what happens when you have a large, diverse world that parodies practically everything from fantasy and medieval times through the industrial revolution. Thus this retheme was born.

Disclaimer: I don't own the rights to any of the artwork, and they are used without permission. Most of it comes from Paul Kidby, who captures the essence of the Discworld so well. Most of it comes out of The Art of Discworld, but there's also The Pratchett Portfolio, illustrations from GURPS Discworld, cover illustrations, etc.

This thread covers the Great A'Tuin set, the rethemed cards from the original Dominion game. For the most part, I tried to match the original design of the game. The images are 200% normal (I hope; I had to display it at 107% to make it match up on my screen). The one change was to add a red border on the Action - Attack cards for more color.

Sheet 1

The Silver Horde / Adventurer: I mean, it's what barbarian heroes do: loot and pillage treasure and then spend it. There's an alternate artwork card on Sheet 4.
Hogswatch / Council Room: Happy Hogswatch! A present for you, and a big present for me. Makes more sense than a Council Room to my mind.
Apprentice / Festival: Apprentices in the Discworld, when they're worth writing about, are usually quite capable. Pictured here is Tiffany Aching, but there's also Mort and Eskarina Smith and Lobsang Ludd. Youth is just lack of experience, so they overcome using persistence and ability rather than bright ideas (no +Cards).
Give Me A Towel![*] / Laboratory: Philosophers, including Leonard of Quirm. Pratchett puts great store in people who think for themselves, but portrays them as not often the most practical. Same thing with this card. Hopefully the +2 Card will give you what you need and the +1 Action let you do something with it, but no +Coin to build it.
[*] Morporkian translation of the Ephebian word, "Eureka!"
8 / Library: It was just too good to pass up. Wizards have a thing about the number 7a, so here you draw up to one short of that. Finding a picture of the librarian in a magic circle (not an octogram, sadly) was icing on the cake.
High Energy Magic Building / Market: The part of Unseen University that actually does something. Compare with UU / Smithy below.
Making Money / Mine: Doing what Moist von Lipwig does best: turning old, broken things into new, exciting (and working) things. And making pots of money along the way.
Headology / Witch: Another obvious card. Compare with Coven / Torturer in the Intrigue set. With Headology, you still have a choice, just that it's the only option the witch gives you.

Sheet 2

Sausage-Inna-Bun / Bureaucrat: Typical Dibbler: he gets a little money, everyone else gets a little sinking feeling in their stomach.
Vampire / Feast: There are only 2 cards (so far) who trash themselves, so I made into the 2 major undead species. This one dies and comes back stronger than before.
Morpork / Gardens: The plebeian side of Ankh-Morpork, whose strength lies in its diversity. Makes me wonder if this would make a good card:
Quote:
Morpork (Victory) - Cost ?. Worth 1 VP for every 2 unique cards in your deck (rounded down).
Auditors of Reality / Militia: The Auditors don't want anything to happen, which is what the Militia does: put the brakes on the game.
Swamp Dragon / Moneylender: Feed them some copper and hopefully something good comes out of it.
Igor / Remodel: It's what Igors do: fix who you can, but if their time has come, use their parts to build others.
Unseen University / Smithy: The faculty have devolved into a pack of doddering old men, occasionally insightful (+3 Cards), but often not doing much (no +Action, +Buy, +Coin).
Clacks / Spy: Allows you to see what's coming in your deck and everyone else's and maybe do something about it. There's an alternate artwork card on Sheet 4.

Sheet 3

Thieves' Guild / Thief: Pretty straightforward.
Iconograph / Throne Room: This one took me some time to settle on, but the iconograph duplicating images seemed a good fit.
Narrative Causality / Chancellor: I was going to make the periodic table entry for Narrativium, but it wouldn't fit with the graphic design of the other cards. Witches Abroad said a good deal about the power of stories, so here's a picture of Granny Weatherwax and her sister, who featured in that book.
Cooler Heads / Village: To my knowledge, Pratchett has stopped short of this awful pun, but I couldn't resist. His clockwork helmet allows Detritus to think better than the average troll (+1 Card) and he's the Watch's muscle (+2 Actions).
Dwarf Bread / Woodcutter: Really, this is supposed to represent the general industry of dwarves, who are the finest craftsmen on the disc. At least, of rock and metal, maybe not wood ironically, given the original card.
Anthropomorhic Personification / Workshop: If you can have a Verruca Gnome, you can darn well have physical manifestations of whatever entities that govern 4 Coin cards.
Ook! / Cellar: Actually, I'm sure he'd prefer you not check out books at all, but I'm equally sure he'd ask you to return books before drawing more.
Death of Rats / Chapel: It's what the Chapel does, right? Prune the small, useless cards that are clogging your deck. I think it's a darn good fit.

Sheet 4

The Watch / Moat: It's what the Watch does: save the city from whatever is threatening it this week.

This sheet also contains the retheme of the Black Market and Envoy Promo cards, which I dub the Rincewind set:
Rincewind / Envoy: Rincewind knows how to get out of trouble (drawing 5 cards), but nothing really good ever happens to him (player to your left chooses one to discard).
L-Space / Black Market: When you really need to dig up something out of this world, there's L-Space.

This sheet also contains one card of the Fifth Elephant / Dominion: Intrigue set. Yes, I rethemed it as well.
Shamble / Secret Chamber: Shambles (not to be confused with the Shambles) are magical devices you put together out of bits laying around (the action) and are their most potent when you really need them (the reaction).

This sheet also contains alternate artwork for a few cards:
The Silver Horde / Adventurer: A better quality image, but only of Cohen.
Clacks / Spy: This is an image of Chatley Heath semaphore tower, the Roundworld counterpart of the clacks. Besides the internet. The windows kind of look like clack shutters...
Golem / Steward: A low quality image of Dorfl.
Assassins' Guild / Saboteur: The guild coat of arms and Miss Alice Band, who bears a resemblance to Lara Croft. I couldn't help passing on the joke.

Sheet 5

And the Money/Treasure, Victory, and Curse cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you going to post the coins and victory cards as rethemed artwork? Assuming I printed this up, the cards now won't match my Dominion coins, etc. I suppose I could sleeve the whole thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
Are you going to post the coins and victory cards as rethemed artwork? Assuming I printed this up, the cards now won't match my Dominion coins, etc. I suppose I could sleeve the whole thing.

Yes, though their design is nothing special as I'm already using most of the artwork available for the kingdom cards. They're pretty similar to those in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Death of Rats is broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Death of Rats is broken.

SQUEAK? EEK-EEK!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Death of Rats is broken.

Yes - but in this case this really fits the theme...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fifth Elephant / Dominion: Intrigue Set is now up here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is simply awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:

Here you go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks nice. Is there a reason why the points cards are 1/2/3 points instead of 1/3/6 as in the regular game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hakko504 wrote:
Looks nice. Is there a reason why the points cards are 1/2/3 points instead of 1/3/6 as in the regular game?

No, just poor quality control. Thanks for catching it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm receiving requests from people for a printable version, but I haven't done anything like that before. The cards are in powerpoint, not any fancy vector graphics program. Any tips? What's a good dpi for printing?

Thanks,
~James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started assembling a file for those who want to print their own set, including:

- Touching up the illustrations for color balance making the most of the 360 dpi resolution I settled on
- Card backs
- Enough victory and curse cards for up to 6 players, according to Dominion: Intrigue rules

If you have any requests (like having copper, silver, and gold looking like their respective colors rather than how they are in the original game), now would be a good time to say so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
If you have any requests (like having copper, silver, and gold looking like their respective colors rather than how they are in the original game), now would be a good time to say so.
So.

I mean, yes, it would be nice if the color are different on the coins so you can easily see if you have copper, silver or gold without having to read those pesky numbers

[edit] spelling [/edit]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hakko504 wrote:
I mean, yes, it would be nice if the color are different on the coins so you can easily see if you have copper, silver or gold without having to read those pesky numbers

I'll see what I can do; it may be beyond my image modification abilities in powerpoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rekz karz writes here:

rekzkarz wrote:
I love DiscWorld. I love Dominion.

You'd think I'd love this mod (and I HIGHLY respect whoever made this -- great work! Great card design, looks nice, etc), but I'm not a huge fan & not going to make my own copy b/c:

A few cards don't stick with the smooth flow of Dominion, ie Patrician (an Action/Victory card) which is quite powerful.

I don't really 'get it' with this mod, in general. What is the relevance of getting 10 ANKH Victory cards? Seems like it'd make more sense to have the entire DiscWorld as victory cards, and then give each 'region' a value catagory, and you collect a region -- ie '4x' could be a 6 point victory card, but a smaller area could be worth less (AnkhMorpork) could be a 3 point Duchy of some sort.

Lastly, having 12 identical copies of each type (which is the Dominion game tradition), you lose the beauty of all those unique characters. I'd like stacks of all same 'domain' but different characters & pics.

Then again, this would be a wild game in the 'token' version.

OK, I guess I'm not sure how I feel about this mod until I play it. Guess I'll be printing...

Last point: Flavor Text!?!? Why not squeeze in a *snippet from the man himself?

PEACE - rekzkarz.com

*and of course, it'd be an asterisked footnote at the bottom of the card.

You bring up some good points. Believe it or not, I did think some of these things over while making the retheme. In response:

Why 4X (or the Counterweight Continent, or most geographic regions) are not the generic victory cards: Actually, a number of reasons. First, Duchies and Estates are tied to the Duke and Baron cards, respectively, from Intrigue. I had to think of some way to relate them. Also, it would be clumsy if the wording on the Ramtops/Duke was "Worth 1 VP for every generic 5 Cost, 3 VP victory card in your deck."

Second, I made the victory cards generic because I want players to focus on the action cards, which I think is the heart of the game and where I put the most time. That said, I kind of like the idea of renaming the Province cards after various Discworld locales... if I can figure out the ones that I won't use later for the possibility of retheming Dominion: Seaside when it comes out.

Why 10/12 copies of the same cards: mainly, even if there were 600 different characters, items, locations, concepts to do every action and victory card individually, there isn't enough art. There aren't illustrations of Bes Pelargic, or the Temple of Om, or a Klatchian bazaar (which I was going to use for Black Market) that I know of. And even if there were, I'm not sure I'd have enough time to do that much image editing. However, if you're going to do this is chip format, then you won't be limited by images.

Flavor text: I was tempted. Really, really tempted. In the end, I knew I wouldn't be happy unless I found a good, relevant, while succinct quote for every card, but that might involve rereading the entire canon. While enjoyable, I didn't want to hold up the project because of that. Also, I experimented with the footnote. 1) It kinda screws up the visual appearance on something as small as a card, and 2) my prose won't be as witty as Sir Terry's.

That said, if you or anyone else has a quote they want used, I won't say no to the possibility of adding them.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'smooth flow.' Do you mean the Discworld name doesn't fit the card's function? Please clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hakko504 wrote:

I wasn't able to make gold, silver, and copper colored coins. However, for those who visually identify cards (I go by the title, so you'll have to help me here), how about these?

These are, of course, Discworld stamps. The black penny patrician for copper, the 2p Ankh for silver, and I'm still trying to decide between the 5p/10p Moporkia or 50p field of cabbage for gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops! Sorry for dropping the ball on this. I actually did this last month, but not got around to uploading it when I got some new games. Anyway...

1) The only new cards are the card backs:

2) Meanwhile, the biggest update is that I redid the card images. They're now 360 dpi printable quality. Since I had to redo all the images at the higher resolution, I took the opportunity to tweak the colors (some got washed out in scanning). The cards have also been reorganized to reduce the number of print jobs when making a set. I was unable to get the pdf to maintain image quality, so the full set plus printing instructions (how much of each page for a 2-6 player set) are available as a zip file (42.3MB, those image files are big!). The updates are posted offsite to respect BGG's image posting guidelines.

Just in time for Seaside, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once more into the breach, my friends. I'm attempting to retheme Seaside as well. If you have any people/places/cards you would like to see, please say so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
qxa qxa
msg tools
Discworld Polish re-theme edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
looks nice, but off course there is paper money now on discworld

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
qxa qxa
msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.