Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week I started this test as a way to see if I could use Yahoo mail to build a mailing list for upcoming game release and related game give away in this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/417865

I appreciate the response, getting more entrants than I expected, from around the world!

I just sent a follow up email to everyone that entered. If you entered but didn't get an email (or got one in your SPAM folder) then please send me either an email or a geekmail to let me know. If it can through fine then no need to do anything.

If you would like to enter the contest just send message to the email address in the original thread linked above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So what have I learned in this test?

I picked Yahoo Mail because it seemed to have the best interface to take inbound emails and add them to contacts. It didn't have great capabilties to easily categorize contacts, but I felt that wasn't as neccessary, and wasn't supported by other free mail programs either.

Inbound processing via Yahoo Mail was a big plus, and works well

But when I went to send messages via Yahoo Mail, I ran into a significant issue, one that Yahoo doesn't document at all! For privacy issues I wanted to BCC everyone, but Yahoo limits the number of BCC reciepents to 10 per message. And on top of that they prevent you from sending to more than 20 BCC reciepents per hour! I had almost 100 people sign up, and had to send out the test "newsletter" across 10 different messages across 5 hours.

Yahoo Mail limits on BCC reciepents make it unsuitable for use with outbound newsletters to large distribution groups.

Finally SPAM. Interestingly I have only gotten 2 spam mails so far, since the mouseover I used wasn't effective against spam bots I was suspecting to get more. Perhaps over time I will get more but for now its very manageable. I suspect that many of my messages are ending up in people's spam folders though. I copied myself on one of the messages and it came into my own folder as SPAM.

So in conclusion the test was effective, I think people are more likely to simply respond to an email address than sign up for a yahoo group. But going forward I will need to find a better way to get the newsletter/announcement of winners out.

The search for an outbound newsletter program is ongoing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you taken a look at Mailchimp?

With a free account, you can make a sign-up form, manage the member list and compose & send newsletters. Don't know if that covers all your wishes, but it covers the basics really well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyckyd wrote:
Have you taken a look at Mailchimp?

With a free account, you can make a sign-up form, manage the member list and compose & send newsletters. Don't know if that covers all your wishes, but it covers the basics really well :P

Looks interesting.

Its only free up to 100 subscribers, and $10 a month (at least) above that. Since I plan on sending newsletters out at most once a month I don't think its worth it for me.

They do have pay as you go pricing, about $.03 per email that might be good for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.