Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was just idly flipping through the game components the other day while putting it all away, and when I got to the monster cards I got to thinking about what monsters my group rarely encounters in RtoL. Eventually I actually took the time to go through the Rumors, Encounters, Spawn Cards, Minions, and Reinforcements to see what monsters appear in the game and which don't.

The result? I could find only basic type of monster that doesn't seem to appear, so I'm posting here to see if I've missed something. That monster is the un-named version of any basic or master copper/silver Giant. I can't find a single instance where a copper or silver un-named giant (master or basic) can appear in Road to Legend. Can you?

The only time "regular" giants appear in RtoL is in the Keep of the Titan, and the heroes can only run that at gold level, thus only encountering regular giants in gold or diamond form. Every other giant from a rumor or legendary area or whatever is named.

If I've missed something let me know. Also let me know if I've overlooked another "regular" monster type that cannot appear in the campaign...I was pretty thorough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knarr
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giants CAN appear as bronze or silver monsters, since monsters don't automatically upgrade with the campaign (in contrast to Lts.), but must be upgraded for CT.

So, if you happen to meet "normal" giants on gold level they might still be on bronze level. Also, don't forget that named monsters also use the same stats as their current normal leveled equivalent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hadn't forgotten the named thing. Named monsters usually (if not always? I think always?) have some sort of additional powers/life/whatever on top of the standard vanilla card though, so I'm not counting named monsters as appearances of the "regular" monster.

I had totally forgotten that the monsters don't auto-upgrade though. That then, is the only way bronze/silver un-named Giants can appear in the game. The Overlord player must be the Titan, and must not upgrade the Giants, and the players must reach the final level of the Keep. Encountering an un-named Bronze or Silver Basic or Master Giant in Road to Legend is thus a rare and special treat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.