Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Gamehappy
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have been reading about the Battle of Britain in 1940ish.. Can anyone recommend a game that re-enacts the battle of Britain 1940 with good use of altitude …>
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27048
I use the example of” Duel In the dark” which has good graphics and a lot of fun with pieces. But I read it’s not a war-game per sea and as an old hex encounter man I’m not sure a good illustration (game)out there exists?

Lawrence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out The Burninig Blue.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17394
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this, but it's a bit out of date:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/14883

Another one:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11293

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malstrom wrote:

I have been reading about the Battle of Britain in 1940ish.. Can anyone recommend a game that re-enacts the battle of Britain 1940 with good use of altitude …>
I use the example of” Duel In the dark” which has good graphics and a lot of fun with pieces. But I read it’s not a war-game per sea and as an old hex encounter man I’m not sure a good illustration (game)out there exists?

Lawrence

RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940

I have only played the older solitaire version. This version also supports 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike E.
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is also making quite a buzz because it's three separate games in one: one solitaire game for playing the British, one for playing the Germans, and a third game for play f-to-f.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely. R.A.F. designed by John Butterfield and published by West End Games in 1986. It is the consumate soliataire game. It is engrossing and very challenging, and one could feel overwhelmed with the decisions at hand against the depth of the Lutwaffe attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, positively:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Russ
United States
Marshall
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BartowWing wrote:
Absolutely, positively:

RAF has certainly been getting good buzz lately. We've had many, many inquiries about it. I'm looking forward to checking it out!

Cheers,
Jason
www.wargamedepot.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Burning Blue

that game is awesome

www.airbattle.co.uk is the designers www site, its great too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian White
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like solitaire wargames, London's Burning is very good. And, as for your specific wish, you keep track of the altitudes of the raids and the RAF on the board, which affects your ability to intercept, combat advantage, and the effects of bombing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Over Britain is the game I want to play and like but haven't played it yet. It appears to be the most complex but seems to include a lot of goodies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Siso
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
Praise the sun!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Burning Blue with no kind of doubt.
Best simulation of the battle ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that this depends on what you want from the game.

The Burning Blue is a fantastic game that allows the players to get into the nitty gritty of planning the Luftwaffe raids and the RAF interceptions. It's detailed and it's chock full of history, but only the truly dedicated would ever use it to play out the entire campaign (there are campaign rules, but the focus is very much on playing out a day's worth of raids). The game is not solitaire friendly, as fog of war is a key element of the experience.

RAF/RAF II are the best games out there for running the whole campaign. The just published edition would be my clear preference, as it not only incorporates more recent research and assessment of the Battle, but provides a two-player experience and a solitaire Luftwaffe experience (the original only allowed the player to command Fighter Command).

I don't think that there's any real need to look beyond those two games at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris_Milne wrote:
I'd say that this depends on what you want from the game.

The Burning Blue is a fantastic game that allows the players to get into the nitty gritty of planning the Luftwaffe raids and the RAF interceptions. It's detailed and it's chock full of history, but only the truly dedicated would ever use it to play out the entire campaign (there are campaign rules, but the focus is very much on playing out a day's worth of raids). The game is not solitaire friendly, as fog of war is a key element of the experience.

RAF/RAF II are the best games out there for running the whole campaign. The just published edition would be my clear preference, as it not only incorporates more recent research and assessment of the Battle, but provides a two-player experience and a solitaire Luftwaffe experience (the original only allowed the player to command Fighter Command).

I don't think that there's any real need to look beyond those two games at the moment.

I'll agree with this 100%. I can't imagine playing Burning Blue solitaire at all. It is a great game but not solitaire.

London's Burning is just _too_ abstracted. Whenever I play London's Burning I always wind up saying to myself "Why am I not playing RAF?."

Battle over Britian is by the same designer as RAF from a long time ago (back in the SPI days.) I've only played it twice and that was over 20 years ago but I think it is accurate to say that it meets both criteria. That is, "not solitaire" and "why am I not playing RAF?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have an opinion on Fight for the Sky? I got it in a Math Trade some time ago, and can't make my mind up about it - haven't played it, but don't want to get rid of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If land, air and sea, give Britain Stands Alone a toss; great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf, if you decide to get rid of it, please let me know.

This is a good game but the bad news is that it is hard to come by these days. So I hate to recommend it only to see the fellow gamer go nuts trying to find it. But if you like the Battle of Britain, then this is one to find.

As Battle of Britain games go, this game probably doesn't compare in detail to say "The Burning Blue". Also "Fight for the Sky" only covers a certain time frame of the battle, however I rate this game high due to the game's simplicity and easy of play. And does a good job at catching the flavor of the period. This game is highly recommended for introducing new comers to historical games. Especially to the Battle of Britain period of history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want an extremely tactical game, with very detailed rules, check out Achtung: Spitfire!. You can play out the individual Battle of Britain dogfights with this game. Though it is not for beginners, it has good support online and if you can find someone to teach you it is not difficult to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
Don't think so

I've had a good read a the rules now, and I think it'll be hitting the table soon. The one pity is the counters - they're rather dark & lack contrast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malstrom wrote:

Lawrence

Lawrence, if you prefer a simple game like Duel in the Dark, then you should pick London's Burning. Out of print but not all that expensive ($35 max). While other games mentioned are better representations of the BOB, they are wargamers' games. At least London's Burning will let you deal with the actual aircraft, being badly outnumbered, pilot fatigue, and altitude (as you require).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
RayGuns wrote:
Don't think so

I've had a good read a the rules now, and I think it'll be hitting the table soon. The one pity is the counters - they're rather dark & lack contrast.

I know what you mean. Compared to today, games from the early 80's didn't have the best graphics for their counters. But their line of games had some good graphics for the time and fitting to the game.

Anyway, if you are ever up for a play by email game, let me know. I think an advanced game will work well as a play by email since the German player has to pre-plot their full attack for the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.