United States
Ontario
Oregon
flag msg tools
bah bah bah bah....woof
badge
My...what big teeth you have
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Deals only be made during a Negotiation? I mean this from a technical point. What I'm trying to find out is regarding the Zombie. It says that as part of a Deal, he can release any player's ships from the Warp. Can he make this deal at any time, or just during a Negotiation that transpires during an Encounter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyjil wrote:
Can Deals only be made during a Negotiation? I mean this from a technical point. What I'm trying to find out is regarding the Zombie. It says that as part of a Deal, he can release any player's ships from the Warp. Can he make this deal at any time, or just during a Negotiation that transpires during an Encounter?

The concept of the "Deal", capital D, as it applies to Cosmic Encounter as a game mechanic, only takes place in the Reveal phase, after both main players play a Negotiate, or an Emotion Control Artifact is played. That's the only time Zombie may use his regenerative power on someone else - when he's a main player, and only on his opponent in the encounter.

Outside of the official deal mechanic, the only things you can trade or negotiate with other players are promises and threats, none of which are binding in the least. The reason for this is to keep the Deal mechanic useful, since the only way to engage in trade with another player is to trigger it as mentioned above.

Of course, the above is modifiable by additional mechanics granted by alien powers, artifacts, or Flares. I know of several (none in the FFG version, yet) aliens which allow for them to be involved as a third party in a deal (therefore requiring them to give or get something to be successful), and a card effect that lets a player immediately deal with each other player in turn order before continuing their turn.

However, the game mechanic of a Deal should remain inviolate otherwise, and therefore nothing should be exchanged outside of a Deal except words and mean looks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Nutt
United States
Ontario
Oregon
flag msg tools
bah bah bah bah....woof
badge
My...what big teeth you have
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that helps a lot. We were playing it right then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.