Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greig Goodfellow
Canada
Allanburg
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just a comment though someone in the know could respond. Am playing game for first time live,via vassal,and am enjoying very much. After one particularly enjoyable reaction event play I discovered my overwhelming air and naal support did not gain a single bonus to my defenders in a ground combat. I saw rule afterwords but am mystified why an attacker can get +4 but the defender gets no bonus for this? Any ideas as to why my defense gets no bonus here? May be a question for designer, or perhaps it has been discussed before.
Thanks Greig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Juno44 wrote:

Just a comment though someone in the know could respond. Am playing game for first time live,via vassal,and am enjoying very much. After one particularly enjoyable reaction event play I discovered my overwhelming air and naal support did not gain a single bonus to my defenders in a ground combat. I saw rule afterwords but am mystified why an attacker can get +4 but the defender gets no bonus for this? Any ideas as to why my defense gets no bonus here? May be a question for designer, or perhaps it has been discussed before.
Thanks Greig

First you are playing the game correctly. EoTS handles logistics in an abstract, but historically restrictive manner. What is being simulated is only the offensive player has loaded in sufficient quantities of bombardment shells and bombs. The defender is opposing the assault with fighters (air to air) and ships (surface to surface/ air to surface) but does not have sufficient quantities of ground support munitions on hand for sustained support, which takes planning vice reaction. So, the defender can cancel the attackers bombardment and air support DRMS by contesting naval superiority and air superiority respectively.

I am glad you are having a good time playing the game.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb
If your example is an invasion by sea, ground troops may only land if the attacker "wins" the air/naval battle. The winner is the side with the most air/naval factors surviving.

So in your example, if you reacted with "overwhelming" air/naval forces, the invading ground troops would not even be able to land.

If your example is ground combat caused by ground units moving overland, never mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig Goodfellow
Canada
Allanburg
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for quick reply Mark, I understand now where this concept is coming from. The downside was that I had enticed my opponent into attacking my poor defenseless guys and sprung a huge air/naval intercept at him. Just kidding. Randy, absolutely correct, this was a land battle in a coastal hex to which the attacker brought no navy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.