Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious as to how you fine BSG-playing folks would classify this lovely game. Is it Ameritrash? Is it a Euro?

I ask because I found myself unable to neatly pigeon-hole it when describing it. On one hand, it's got plastic miniatures and lots of chrome, sees a fair amount of dice rolling, takes hours to play, and oozes theme. (Heck, it IS a FFG after all.) On the other hand, its mechanics revolve around action selection and tight resource management, and it has no player elimination.

It's hard for me to name another game that seems so neatly to straddle the two genres.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
United States
Clay
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I vote Ameritrash for the reasons you listed: dice, miniatures, theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG is one of those games that resists labels, and shows them to be un-useable at times. fwiw, after 3 years here at bgg, I'm still not sure WHAT the definitions of either Ameritrash or EuroGame are. I have a good feeling about what they are, but not the words to describe it.

So, in that sense, BSG is a lot like Risk, but with Werewolf thrown in.

Gerry.

(and now I'm off to my next hex-n-counter game: Twilight Seafarers of the Cataan Imperium "Dreadnaught for sheep?")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typhon wrote:
I ask because I found myself unable to neatly pigeon-hole it when describing it.

As a man who cares little for pigeon-holing, I salute BG for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mostly AT, but partly euro. There's no player elimination which is predominant in AT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a hybrid, a pleasing mix of both Ameritrash and Euro a trend that is constantly increasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghosthack wrote:
It's a hybrid, a pleasing mix of both Ameritrash and Euro a trend that is constantly increasing.

Yep, give me your euros and we shall bling them up mad stylez!

I for one like this evolution in board games. Take the best features of Euros and ameritrash and blend them. .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it to be 100% ameritrash. It's nothing without its theme and is based almost entirely in the metagame. Lack of player elimination does not make it euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the best frakkin' game of the last 3 years, is what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrenoK wrote:
I find it to be 100% ameritrash. It's nothing without its theme and is based almost entirely in the metagame. Lack of player elimination does not make it euro.
regut the theme and the core mechanics are still there. In such a situation, people don't have the benefit of knowing what the game was.

Let's take another case.... if Pandemic (the base game) had an opposing/traitor element to begin with, then most would say playing with a traitor is the only way to go and the game without a traitor is just some "warmup game".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
fwiw, after 3 years here at bgg, I'm still not sure WHAT the definitions of either Ameritrash or EuroGame are. I have a good feeling about what they are, but not the words to describe it.

I define them by who defends or decries their existance. If Mr. Skeletor, franklincobb, or any of the previously banned members like a game, it's Ameritrash. If anyone else likes it, it's Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
Sphere wrote:
Typhon wrote:
I ask because I found myself unable to neatly pigeon-hole it when describing it.

As a man who cares little for pigeon-holing, I salute BG for that.

I could stuff pigeons in holes all day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
The guy who created (Corey Koneitzka) said that he was very much inspired by German Board Games that can "boil a complex idea down to a simple elegant mechanic" (or words to that effect.

So the simple answer is that it is an American style game with Euro influences.

I see you're a new member. Welcome to the 'Geek! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
GerryRailBaron wrote:
fwiw, after 3 years here at bgg, I'm still not sure WHAT the definitions of either Ameritrash or EuroGame are. I have a good feeling about what they are, but not the words to describe it.

I define them by who defends or decries their existance. If Mr. Skeletor, franklincobb, or any of the previously banned members like a game, it's Ameritrash. If anyone else likes it, it's Euro.
They got banned? I wonder what happened there? Without them around, who will define Ameritrash games? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ackmondual wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
GerryRailBaron wrote:

They got banned? I wonder what happened there? Without them around, who will define Ameritrash games? laugh

I am not sure about franklincobb but MrSkeletor has a running tally of the number of times he has been banned. But I was actually referring to Him-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named as "previously banned members."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick King
United States
Berkeley Lake
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It has one classification: Awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why must everything be labeled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Why must everything be labeled?
I think it's important to distinguish games like Apples To Apples as party games, Candyland as kids games, Monopoly as "god awful", and BSG as a semi-co-op game for one. For some folks, all of these categories may as well blend in with each other seemlessly. For others, labeling them is an important way to tell us just what a game is from the proverbial 50,000 ft view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100% Delicious Ameritrash!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(funnier in person)
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
GerryRailBaron wrote:

I am not sure about franklincobb but MrSkeletor has a running tally of the number of times he has been banned. But I was actually referring to Him-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named as "previously banned members."

Voldemolt?... er... damn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YearoftheCat wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
GerryRailBaron wrote:

Voldemolt?... er... damn.
Or perhaps M. Night Shamalan's The Village
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.