Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Mooney
United States
Keizer
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been shoddily forming a gaming group for the past few years, it has largely been hit and miss.

I used to run poker nights and could get lot's of guys coming over. Board games, different group of people.

What makes a gaming group STINK? (I will have another post on "What makes a gaming group GREAT?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Mooney
United States
Keizer
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too short of times for game play. Only one game get's played (like Arkham) that will take all of the time, instead of having side games for others to play that aren't into ONE game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Mooney
United States
Keizer
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor sportsmanship == sometimes linked to poor beer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
A poor group is either unable to or does not play interesting games in interesting ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KIDS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
No one shows up.
Less than one other good sport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Whitfield
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People that constantly check their text messages under the table and are apparently in a hurry to go do something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
When the #1 goal of even one of the members is something other than having fun, you run the risk of having a group that stinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
A poor group is either unable to or does not play interesting games in interesting ways.

Damn, JC beat me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Bean dip- or bad pizza... :yuk:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have much experience on this end of the spectrum but here's my list:

1. Not enough regular members to get a meaningful group together on a regular basis. There are always people that can't make it to a gaming session. The more people you have the better off you'll be.
2. Not enough time set aside for a gaming session. The longer the session the more people you can attract from longer distances. If it's only a 4 or 5 hour gaming session you won't get people intereted enough to make the trip.
3. No regular place to meet. It helps a lot to have a regular spot so you get people to show up by word of mouth.
4. No regularly scheduled game times. This goes with #3 above. If you plan regular gaming sessions you are more likely to get people to plan ahead so they have it on their calendar well in advance.
5. Not enough variety. If the group is big enough there should always be a game that a newcomer can get into that doesn't have a steep learning curve or specific strategies that need to be learned over several plays.
6. Having food, drink and toilets available is a definite plus if you're planning an all day affair.

There are probably a lot of other things I haven't touched on but, as I said at the top, I am fortunate not to have an experience with a group that "stinks".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No wargamers!cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AP.

Surprised it hasn't shown up before. Different degrees cause different degrees of stink.

At no point should you take 40 minutes to resolve your turn in BANG!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's one thing that drives me batty about my current gaming group is that everyone wants to play the same game - that is, if there are 5 of us, we all have to play the same game together. If there's 7 of us, then we have to find a game that can handle 7.

I would love to split things up a little sometimes - what's wrong with a 4 player game over at that table and a 3 player game at this one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found a few things that really hurt a gaming group. None of these are absolutes, but they all have the potential to really mess up the dynamic.

1. Limited time
2. Conflicting schedules
3. Staggered arrival times -- ever have a game night where you only have, say, 4 hours to play, and people keep showing up 20 minutes apart?
4. People who care about each other's lives outside of gaming. Really eats up the gaming time, plus they get distracted during the games.
5. Parenthood. Can prevent gamers from showing up, but can be even worse when they bring the kids. Kids need attention. Kids want to participate.
6. Significant others who do not game, but have to be included anyway. "Well, so-and-so brought so-and-so, so we have to play Apples to Apples again."
7. People who just have different tastes in games.

In short, there are many things that can really just drain the life out of a gaming group, though many of these can be overcome in the right circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Morris
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iPhones at the table. If you're using them as a dice roller or as a score tracker, then fine. Using them to text your girlfriend, search for stuff or just play video games just pisses me off.

Turn it off or at least just stop futzing with the damn thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
KIDS

Huh?

Not with the right ones and good parents!cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinwho wrote:

4. People who care about each other's lives outside of gaming. Really eats up the gaming time, plus they get distracted during the games.

Yeah, damn those gamers who actually care about something other than gaming. Who needs friends? All that matters is that no one steals the "family growth without room" space from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What makes a gaming group STINK?

The apocrine glands, which are concentrated in the underam, anal and genital areas release pheromones. In conjunction with bacteria, these areas can produce scent which is noticeable. There is a condition called bromhidrosis where the body odor is oppressive. It actually lingers past the person's presence. I have witnessed a check out girl frantically spraying the lane with air freshener after a lady with bromhidosis passed through. I was 4 people behind her and it still reeked.
If someone in your group has bromhidrosis, you may need an intervention. That person will not just need a deodorant, but will need to shave body hair from the underarm, anal and perianal areas. I would recommend keeping the room cool as well!cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Kameoka
United States
San Gabriel
California
flag msg tools
mb
Games you like are never played and games you hate are always played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think by kids, he may have meant 2 year olds. I love the little critters but they don't mix with boardgames... AT ALL!! Sorry Rik, you're invited to gamenight only when you get a baby sitter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've seen and from what I've been told, all groups go through ups and downs. Just stick with it - tis better to have gamed and lost than never to have gamed at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my list, mostly in order, too, from worst to least offensive but still problematic:

1. People who don't show up OR not enough people for the actual gaming group (this usually comes down to priorities - never try to shoehorn someone into gaming if it's like several notches down the priority list - like below bowling but above sorting their sock drawer).

2. Distractions - phones, text-messaging, TV, etc...even kids can be a big distraction at times if they're not expected to be in attendance as players.

3. Bad sports/whiners

4. Extreme personalities - Rules Lawyers, Uber-Nerds, Know-it-alls, hippies (lol).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wright
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-tees
Teesside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy Leechs

People who use other players to advise them on their move.
No advice is impartial and unless you fail you never learn forcing the cycle to repeat game after game after game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
People who are mysteriously gone when their turn comes around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.