Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Julius Caesar wins the day for the Romans!

Mike (mdr003) and I had another evening of Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #2 – Rome and the Barbarians last night. Unsure how far through the scenario book we’ve gotten, we started at the rear and made our way backwards. This had us start in Britannia with the Britons trying to repulse the Romans.

This scenario was a blast with the Romans pushing hard on their right flank, crossing the river and challenging the ramparts. We traded formations back and forth, and every time the rampart was lost, the Britons repelled the Romans back.

Crossing the river and the very steep hills slowed the Romans and were major considerations in this scenario.

The Romans began to move their left flank forces into the middle as reserves and the Britons followed suit. But eventually, the battle on the Roman right flank was tied at 5 formations routed a piece, when the Britons made one last big strike eliminating two more Roman units (one trapped in the river) and the Roman army was routed!

The Romans lost two of the next three scenarios and the Barbarians were up 3-1 on the night.

Then came the scenario where the Romans were facing a massive line of Barbarian Chariots. Now, charging chariots into the Roman medium infantry seemed suicidal, so I sent my chariots in to hit the archers in front. Unable to break either unit, the Roman Medium troops came forward as the archers melted into the background.

I was a bit stuck with how to break through the Roman line, especially with being dealt the best hand ever:

This was actually my opening dealt hand. I moved my units with a center-2 then picked my cards up again for the picture, as I thought this hand was just too funny

Well, lacking any surprises, the Romans eventually whittled down my chariots and won 6-5.

Continuing our trek backwards through time, Julius Caesar himself joined the Roman side. JC was invincible as my horse and chariots would evade, only to be set on again the following impulse. I drew JC forward then surrounded him with 4 units. The first strike whittled him down, but was destroyed by the battle-back. The next Chariot attack did minor damage but held its ground and allowed the third attack (medium horse) to finish off JC’s troops. But the wily commander evaded death, and retreated through my damaged chariots back to another unit. soblue

With my left flank mostly depleted, JC continued to chase my horse around and with my only leader dead, led the Romans to a comfortable 6-3 victory.

The final battle again saw JC and the 10th legion fighting the Germanic Tribes. This was fine Roman planning as they out-weighed and began with terrific formation spearheaded by the 10th with JC right behind. I surged against the 10th and failed to deliver a single hit with my two units, and I was soon behind.

I sent in a few bands to attack JC, at which Mike scoffed “So, you just want to give the battle away”. Well, the first auxilla delivered a few hits and was repulsed (but not broken) and JC’s infantry were overrun. A moment of moral victory was found when JC himself died to a German sword as his legion was routed. But the victory was short lived, as the 10th continued to prove unstoppable. Twice in the battle they eliminated a full-strength Warrior unit with a single blow (and avoided the battle-back). shake Attacks on the 10th were futile and at the battle’s end the 10th only had received a single casualty after being attacked not less than four times.

A rally saw my right flank retake shape, but the 10th did not care how strong their opponents were, and instantly eliminated any enemy they faced.

The battle finally ended at a respectable 7-5.

So, Mike “won” the night 4-3 as the Romans. It was a great evening and I did get to stick his nose in it when I trounced him 6-0 once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised and disappointed by your session report.

I have met you and you seemed like quite a reasonable, well balanced and likable person and yet in this report you seem to rejoice in the victory of Barbarian over Roman. You seem to writing in such a way as to indicate that you actually wanted the Romans to lose.

It is a sad day when one such as yourself writes in such a way as to show no respect for the Romans, their way of life or for their military invincibility.

"What have the Romans ever done for us?" I have heard asked. Well we all know the answer to that and you should be ashamed to think otherwise.

Thank goodness that Julius Caesar was there to save the situation.

And you should also know that the Victors are always the ones to write the history afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
All right. But apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine,
public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system, and public
health... What have the Romans ever done for us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
All right. But apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine,
public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system, and public
health... What have the Romans ever done for us?

They gave us law and order - before the Romans came it was really dangerous walking the streets at night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but the Britons gave us Monty Python.. so you are convicted on your own testimony..whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.