Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
We can see everywhere a lot of complaints about some powerful cards. But I also think that some cards kind of “disappear” among the others, and we draw them when they are useless. So I think about this variant rule.

Six cards are not shuffle in the deck, they are put face up in the table:

Rally
Sharp Shooter (both)
Short of Supplies
Call for reinforcements
Construct fieldworks

In his turn, a player can use one of these open cards, instead of playing some from his hand. When he is done, he marks the used card with a flag token (included for scoring campaigns). Each player can use only three of the six. When all of them are marked, tokens are removed and they become available again.

I haven’t tested yet, but I think this eliminate “luck factor” in drawing those cards, they become more useful and are fairly distributed to the players.

Very powerful cards I simply put out of the deck: All-Out Offensive, Counter Attack and Hit and run (both). This has been suggested many times.

I would like to know what do you think about this idea. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to give this a try. Post again when you've tested it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am impressed. Like most good ideas, it is very simple but effective.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just call this variant BC Hold-em

This would be interesting to try with any of the C&C games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well, I played twice this week. We liked it, but I'm thinking about a tweak.

First time, we did't use any card, but today we used four of them. My opponent chose Rally, Short of Supplies and Reinforcement, I chose only Field works. Very good to have these available.

I'm thinking about removing both Sharp Shooter from the open cards... they are not so good, my opponent was right when choosing 3 powerful cards quickly and leaving to me only 1 powerful and the SSs. To not create a hurry, it's better to play this variant rule with 4 cards. Then each side can use only 2 of them.

Next time I will try this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes, now it was very good, although have no time in this battle to use all 4 open cards. My opponent used Supplies and Reinforcement, I used only Rally.

Removed from game: All-Out ofensive, Counter Attack, Hit and Run and Sharp Shooter. Very balanced hands and good opportunities to use open cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.