Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Clark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

So my group had our first session with this game last night. I was the only person previously who has encountered the game and that was over 13 years ago. The rest of the group was new. At the end of the game we ran into a snag, so usually that means I screwed up a rule.

Three of the four players ended up at the crown and one person lingured in the middle region. The three at the crown duked it out till there was just one. At which point the person in the middle region had aquired a poltergist follower (one move one space a turn) where the space next to him had a healer (stranger/place? dont recall). So the person at the crown would cast command (because the rules say you must cast command) and the person in the middle region would heal one turn, step the next space following, then heal following. So we had seemingly encountered an odd stale mate. Rereading the rules it doesn't appear you can "turn back" from the inner region once you enter the crown space. So they couldn't even fight it out. With no insentive for the player in the middle region to encounter the person at the crown till he was crazy buff the game just staled out. We decided we didn't want to wait three hours for the stalemate to resolve and declared the person at the crown the victor.

What are we missing here? Surely that sitation isn't intended? Can you turn back once you reach the crown or are you stuck there forced every turn to cast command? (I swore I read somewhere that the game ends once one person reaches the crown and there is only one lone survivor, implying you didn't need to be on that space, but I couldn't find it later).

Side note: it seems incredibly difficult to mess with the leader by attacking him since it's rare any given die move will end up specifically on that characters space. Is there an easier way to attack (other than spells) to try to bring the runaway back down a peg?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, the player on the crown can vacate the spot.

Also, nobody has to have even hit the crown for there to be a winner. As soon as the first person to step inside the inner region does so, a dead player no longer reanimates as a new character. Once that has happened, it's last man standing. If somebody steps into the first space of the inner region, steps back out the next turn, and nobody steps back into the inner region for the rest of the game, it's still the last player standing who wins.

There are a lot of situations in Talisman that aren't intended, but being that there's so many cards and spaces and combinations of the two, you're bound to hit a weird combo once in a while. When that happens, you've kinda got to house rule it (like you did) and move on.

EDIT: woo grammar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Clark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, I seem to have just answered my own question.

Page 20 4th ed. rules - once on the crown of command you cannot turn back. Additionally the crown of command is the trigger of the end not simply the inner region. this is my understanding from rereading page 20.

"When a character is on the Crown of Command space, a character does not move but remains there instead. Characters on the Crown of Command cannot turn back."

"Once a character has reached the Crown of Command , any character that gets killed is out of the game. Note that this rule stays in effect for the rest of the game, even if a character leaves the Crown of Command."

Ok, first of all, don't these rules counter each other? If you can't leave the crown of command, then how do you leave the crown of command?

Second, any ideas on then how to "house-rule" prevent the stalemate my group experienced?

Edit: these are the 4th ed. rev. rules as a point of clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IndyCC wrote:

Ok, first of all, don't these rules counter each other? If you can't leave the crown of command, then how do you leave the crown of command?

Once you reach CoC, you can't leave via normal move (no way in just base game). Reaper added Transference spell (swap places with another char in the same region) which could see you "leave" it, though not of your own choice. The latter part is there to leave the possibility open (and to confuse people ).

Quote:
Second, any ideas on then how to "house-rule" prevent the stalemate my group experienced?

Slap the pansy upside the head ? Seriously, it's down to play style. Around here, once someone hits CoC, others try to scramble up ASAP. Nobody cheezes out with Poltergeist healing crap. Then again, base + Reaper = 194 (IIRC) Adventure deck, with only Poltergeist.

You could also get Mesmerism and take his Poltergeist (requires Wand or Wizard/Prophetess/etc.). If sudden death (first to the Crown wins) doesn't appeal to you, increase the amount of damage Command Spell does dependant on the region: 1 life if in the Inner Region, 2 if in the Middle, 3 if in the Outer. 3 life doesn't solve the Good char + Poltergeist + Chapel + Healer (last two adjacent) crap, so could make the Command Spell cumulative, each successful casting pumps up the damage by one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One easy house rule for this stalematish sutuation is that a player auto-wins if they sit on the crown alone for 10 turns in a row. (or any number you like)

Actually, this sounds like a good idea to me; I think I'll institute this, myself; might make the endgame more tense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
What you need to realize is that this particular situation is VERY coincidental and will probably not be repeated again anytime soon.

Call it a draw, house rule more damage, or just quit. Not that big of a deal really. Talisman is more about the journey to the end rather than the actual end itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.