Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Formula D» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Block Pit Road rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Eucker
United States
Cedar Grove
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was just wondering if anyone has played a game where the leader, in a close multi-lap race, has exited the last turn and stopped on the first space into Pit Road. Forcing the following players to line up behind on the track (possibly at great WP expense) or bypass the pit enterance. Just wondering how it might work.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not positive on the rule here, yet from my memory, when you are in "pit row" you can stop freely, without worry to WPs.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Eucker
United States
Cedar Grove
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tyvek wrote:
I'm not positive on the rule here, yet from my memory, when you are in "pit row" you can stop freely, without worry to WPs.

I was suggesting a driver "block" the entrance to the pits by stopping on the entrance space.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
You wanted the best, You got the best, The hottest band in the World..KISS!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a perfectly legitimate move (although not very nice for those following)
If the lead car enters the pit lane but only has sufficient move allowance to make the first pitlane space, the pit lane is effectively blocked.
You will note that most tracks have 2 squares adjacent to the pit lane, entry can be made from either.

Following cars would have to take brake, wear and possibly collision points to remain in a position to enter the pits or forfeit the chance. If this is at the end of lap 2 in a 3 lap race it would mean disqualification for not taking the required pit stop. Ideally the following cars should take note of the lead car and adjust their turn accordingly.
note;
If the lead car has exited a corner and moved into the pit lane whilst taking tyre penalties this is not allowed!and is an automatic disqualification. The rules state that a car taking tyre penalties cannot change lanes (other than the options given by the arrows in the last corner spaces) the car must continue straight ahead until all spaces are moved as required less spaces from brake points, if this fails to leave the car with an option to enter the pits on the next turn, thats tough and down to bad driving.

Hope this helps
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Eucker
United States
Cedar Grove
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank-you.
Is the requirement to pit after lap 2 of a 3 lap race one of those published tourniment (house) rules or is it part of Formula D or De?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
personally we play with the house rule for two lap races we have everyone brought together after they pass the finish line (or get out of the pit) and count their ranks at this point we put them back into the starting locations and begin the second lap like the first (except the black die roll) this seriously stops the runaway leader problem and makes for an overall more exciting race.

There is also a version of this house rule that lets everyone do a pit stop with this rule but we figured if you actually want to delay a turn for your pit stop to potentially lose a position in the restart why not
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Euckeric wrote:
Thank-you.
Is the requirement to pit after lap 2 of a 3 lap race one of those published tourniment (house) rules or is it part of Formula D or De?


That would be a house rule. I have occasionally seen cards cars do a three lap race without a pit stop. OK very occasionally meeple

Edit: Doh stupid typo not picked up by spellchecker because it is a real word
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
silverfox63 wrote:
Its a perfectly legitimate move (although not very nice for those following)
Hope this helps


A person willing to stoop to that level of turpitude in a game is the sort of person who would murder both their parents and then plead for leniency in court on the grounds that they are an orphan.

To address the question directly however, it is completely legal and I have done it myself several times - although I didn't have many any friends left by the end of the race.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
I have occasionally seen cards do a three lap race without a pit stop. OK very occasionally meeple


Hi Karlsen,

would they be special racing cards or a standard playing deck?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
Karlsen wrote:
I have occasionally seen cards do a three lap race without a pit stop. OK very occasionally meeple


Hi Karlsen,

would they be special racing cards or a standard playing deck?


Fixed now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't allow it be done in races I run. If it doesn't happen in racing, I try not to let it happen in Formula D. The way I handle it is you aren't allowed to use a lower gear for your entrance into the pits than you were using when you entered unless you are doing so to slow down behind a car already on pit lane. It is still possible for a car to occupy that first space on a legitimate roll, it isn't as likely that cars would stack up behind it.

Rick T.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Avatar
mbmbmb
While the rules are written to specify that WP for blocking are not applied in pit row, I would say that the spirit of that rule should apply to cars that are attempting to pit but cannot do so because of cars blocking the entrance.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Avatar
mbmbmb
DaFink wrote:
personally we play with the house rule for two lap races we have everyone brought together after they pass the finish line (or get out of the pit) and count their ranks at this point we put them back into the starting locations and begin the second lap like the first (except the black die roll) this seriously stops the runaway leader problem and makes for an overall more exciting race.

There is also a version of this house rule that lets everyone do a pit stop with this rule but we figured if you actually want to delay a turn for your pit stop to potentially lose a position in the restart why not


So the first lap is essentially just a time trial? Sorry, but I don't approve.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. DJ FancyLove
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
A person willing to stoop to that level of turpitude in a game is the sort of person who would murder both their parents and then plead for leniency in court on the grounds that they are an orphan.

To address the question directly however, it is completely legal and I have done it myself several times - although I didn't have many any friends left by the end of the race.



So what your saying is, we should be watching out for a person in Australia that's an orphan, who just killed his parents...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
emiel van marwijk

Zevenaar
Netherlands
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blocking on purpose in pitlane is not allowed in our games.
3rd gear is 'top'speed and players may shift down to avoid collissions, not any other reason then that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
emilio72 wrote:
Blocking on purpose in pitlane is not allowed in our games.
3rd gear is 'top'speed and players may shift down to avoid collissions, not any other reason then that.


There are no collision checks in the pitlane.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.