Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Race with a three year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: children [+] Family [+] Cool! [+] RftG [+] [View All]
My wife and I have been playing RftG at every opportunity recently. We both love it. She has the highest score between the two of us, 70. My three year old son is intrigued to put it mildly. He tries to get his hands on the cards at every opportunity. The Space Marine is his favorite. Every time I get the the game out he starts with "Play daddy's game? Play daddy's game? Play daddy's game? Play daddy's game?" ad infinitum. So I finally broke down and accepted his challenge. I figured I'd just give him some cards and let him draw when he wanted and play cards when he felt like it. Then we'd count up the scores at the end.

I chose Epsilon Eridani as my home world, he chose Terraforming Robots as his, and we were off. I was a little surprised when he loudly declared "I choose 'velop!", and confidently played a 5 cost military world. I silently applauded his strategy of going with 'velopsettle. I chose explore and drew a couple of high value military cards. This fit my strategy quite nicely. I felt that I needed to get as many worlds in play as I could because I would have at most 12 turns. Problem was I needed to get some military strength built up.

"I choose 'splore!" he said and thumped down the Drop Ships that I so desperately needed. I drew a fistful of novelty detritus.

"I choose 'velop!" and out came New Galactic Order. AARGH! My military strategy wasn't going to work if he had all the military. We did another 'velop and a 'splore and even a "stettle". I finally got my military foot in the door and started laying down. He 'splored another 6 cost development and I knew I would never catch up.

Suddenly he had 11 cards on the table. This was my last turn. All I could play was Empath World so I went with it. I looked up and... he was producing! He was putting cards face down on every card in his tableau. Now I had time but I had to hurry. I frantically explored, settled, settled, explored, developed, settled - hoping I had time to get my tableau completed before he finished producing. Then he stopped and looked up. "Look Daddy, goots!" My strategy at this point was clear and simple: Whatever happens, DON"T CHOOSE CONSUME! I tried to sneak in Lost Alien Warship...but suddenly everything came to a halt as he drew one more card. He sucked in his breath. He cried excitedly. This card was not destined to become a lowly "goot". This card deserved a spot front and center. This card would be the crowning jewel of his tableau. He played his twelfth card...the Space Marine.

"Over?" He asked. I had a sinking feeling as he gathered up his cards and gave them to me to score....28

I finished with 26
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Carlton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ROFL!

Now if they'd only bundled a three year old inside TGS instead of all that complicated robot stuff.

On second thoughts, that would probably be very illegal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noun Sequitur wrote:
I chose Epsilon Eridani as my home world, he chose Terraforming Robots as his,

Good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thron
United States
Caldwell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite post in recent weeks. Thanks for this, it made my morning bright and cheery before heading to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybee they could pack one of these with each?
http://www.genpets.com/features.php

(NOTE: The above is *not* real and is in fact part of a very elaborate art display by Canadian animatronics artist Adam Brandejs.)

Jasta wrote:
ROFL!

Now if they'd only bundled a three year old inside TGS instead of all that complicated robot stuff. :p

On second thoughts, that would probably be very illegal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
molnar wrote:
Noun Sequitur wrote:

Good choice.

He originally chose the green Consume: Trade action card as his home world. Then he saw Terraforming Robots, asked me what it was and I read it to him. He said "WALL-E!" and laid it down. I'm glad he changed his mind or I would have really been in trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, my wife plays RftG like this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brought chuckles... Please write more. What other games can he play? =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Horvat
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
Transitive and inversely well-founded frames spell FUN! http://yudkowsky.net/rational/lobs-theorem
badge
Scary, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the best session report I've read so far. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blakeley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does he give lessons?

Or will he be writing a strategy guide instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noun Sequitur wrote:
molnar wrote:
Noun Sequitur wrote:

Good choice.

He originally chose the green Consume: Trade action card as his home world. Then he saw Terraforming Robots, asked me what it was and I read it to him. He said "WALL-E!" and laid it down. I'm glad he changed his mind or I would have really been in trouble. :)

Haha, I keep ruining this by thinking about ways to actually legitimize the three-year old's actions. Maybe an optional Consume:Trade phase 4 each turn? I'm pretty sure a three-year old would break me if that were possible...

Good report though; I never read these normally, but this one brought a smile to my face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks to all for the kind words. We try to include him in our activities as much as we can, so yeah...there's always a story to tell. I often feel like the dutiful bard documenting the hero's every adventure in epic poems for the entertainment of grandparents, in-laws etc.

And that's not counting the terabytes of photos his mother takes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carlson
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noun Sequitur wrote:

And that's not counting the terabytes of photos his mother takes.

I believe that is a genetic trait that can finally manifest itself with the advent of digital photography, LOL.

Great post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.