Subject: Conquest Points, Combat cards/Reinforcement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello. I have a few questions.

Firstly, to acquire a conquest point from the planet you are on, do you have to have a base on the conquest area of the planet (not the mineral or gas area) OR as long as you have a base on any area of the planet, you automatically get the conquest point for that planet?

If I had a base on a planet, and got the conquest point..say later on in the game my base on that planet was destroyed totally, If i somehow got control of that planet again by building a base on it, could I get the conquest point again adding to my overall CP score??

Is it possible for someone to use a mobile order to take 1 unit to the conquest point of a planet and get the conquest point and retreat back to another planet (without building a base)?

If somehow a planet has a base on all areas and all of these bases are a controlled by a different team -- then do all players gain that planets conquest point?

ALSO, when you enter combat, say if I have a ultralisk vs a tank, and another battle with a zergling vs a marine, IF i play the carapace +1 health (reinforcement?) card in the ultralisk vs tank skirmish, and then the ultralisk happens to die, does this +1 carapace also affect the zergling in the next skirmish?

ALSO say if the combat card played in the ultralisk was something like if your frontline unit is a ultralisk gain +1 attack, if the ultralisk died or did not die, would this +1 attack be carried over to the zergling skirmish? If not , if the zergling was say another ultralisk, and during this skirmish another +1 ultralisk frontline attack card was played, would this ultralisk now have +2 attack from the earlier played card from the other skirmish, and the card played in the current skirmish?

Do both reinforcement and combat card abilities carry over to the next unit ONLY if that unit is displayed on or mentioned on the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting from the bottom:

Card abilities don't "carry over" between skirmishes. Each skirmish will have a card or two played to it. Those only apply to that particular skirmish. Splash damage is a slightly different case. Doesn't matter whether "the Ultralisk" dies or not. If you didn't play the Improved Carapace card in the skirmish in question, it doesn't apply to the other one.

You do not need to have a base on a planet to get the conquest point(s). If you have a unit in a conquest point area when you reach step 5 of the Regrouping Phase, you get the points. Note however, that in order to get any of the resource cards for any area, you DO have to have a base on the planet, (see page 15 of the rules). Your comment about moving in one unit and retreating doesn't make any sense, because if they retreated before the regrouping phase, they wouldn't have a unit in the conquest point area. You do NOT get the conquest point, even if you have a base on the planet, if you do not have a unit in the area. Conquest points and resource cards are handled differently.

And Conquest points are scored during the regrouping phase, and are scored each and every turn, with no "memory" of whether or not you held it in a prior turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for your explanation. I still am a little weary of the rule on page 32 that states
Quote:
Note: "Compare Attack and Health Values" is the only step where players check to see whether their combat card icons match their front-line units. Once the operative attack and health values have been identified, and any operative special abilities have been identified, they remain in effect as determined until the end of the skirmish, even if the matching units are somehow eliminated before the entire skirmish is resolved."

How does this remain in effect work? Once you draw combat cards and determine which unit dies, which abilities would still remain in affect after both matching units die, since this wouldn't seem to affect anything anymore since the skirmish is over? (other than splash damage or ...cloak..?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
fleetwood wrote:
Thank you for your explanation. I still am a little weary of the rule on page 32 that states
Quote:
Note: "Compare Attack and Health Values" is the only step where players check to see whether their combat card icons match their front-line units. Once the operative attack and health values have been identified, and any operative special abilities have been identified, they remain in effect as determined until the end of the skirmish, even if the matching units are somehow eliminated before the entire skirmish is resolved."

How does this remain in effect work? Once you draw combat cards and determine which unit dies, which abilities would still remain in affect after both matching units die, since this wouldn't seem to affect anything anymore since the skirmish is over? (other than splash damage or ...cloak..?)

I think the big one could be the "attack" value staying in play. I think there are some cards (maybe Spawn Broodling? I'd have to look) that can kill the opposing unit before the "remove casualties" step of the skirmish; however, if that happens, the attack value of the killed unit is still in effect until the end of the skirmish, even though the unit was "killed" early.

I'd have to look at the cards to see if this is a valid scenario for this interaction, but I think it may be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
sigmazero wrote:

I think the big one could be the "attack" value staying in play. I think there are some cards (maybe Spawn Broodling? I'd have to look) that can kill the opposing unit before the "remove casualties" step of the skirmish; however, if that happens, the attack value of the killed unit is still in effect until the end of the skirmish, even though the unit was "killed" early.

I'd have to look at the cards to see if this is a valid scenario for this interaction, but I think it may be.

You don't mean major and minor "attack" values written on the cards do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EMELT
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also of note is that some cards last only the duration of the skirmish they are played into. Like Imporved Carapace.

A battle is composed of one or more skirmishes.

So something that happens in one skirmish doesn't usually have an effect in another skirmish, even if those skirmishes are from the same battle. They are considered separate. That imporved carapace you were talking about would only count in the skirmish that it was specifically played in, and not in any others from the same battle. You would have to play another (separate) carapace card to a different skirmish if you wanted to have that effect apply to the unit in that one other skirmish.

There are some cards however that will affect all skirmishes of a battle. These are usually activated at the 'start of a battle'. These would be things like the terran 'Scanner Sweep' or the zerg 'Parasite' for all your queens in a battle. Also, event cards like 'flawless defence plan' would have an effect on each of your skirmishes for that battle.

But most of the time the cards you will play only affect just the skirmish that it is specifically played into, and not have any effect on any other skirmishes happening at the same time from the same battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.