Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been toying around with a game that uses a manual dexterity mechanic, and I'm curious how many other games use similar mechanics.

The Question:
What games involve tossing or throwing game pieces onto a board or tile whereby score is calculated from where or how the pieces land?

I started looking through the geek under "dexterity," but there are 213 pages of entries, and I fear that would take a good year off of my life. So I'm asking for your knowledgeable help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to look into this a little bit when I was working on Connect the Dots: Build and Destroy!, although I was more focused on dexterity games using dice (especially PnP games). One that comes to mind is Zen Flower Showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pass the Pigs is a game where you get points to both how they land and where they land in relation to each other.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elk Fest is a game that requires 'flicking' pieces to create a dry passage for your moose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More specifically...
Zen Flower Showdown is the kind of game I'm talking about.

But let me focus the search a bit more.

The game must involve throwing or tossing playing pieces onto a scoring area, and the score is determined by where the pieces land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, maybe this is also interesting: Cairo:
"Game about building pyramids. Your ship sails up and down the Nile, while you flick blocks, big blocks, and dice off the top of the ship hoping to get them to land at building sites. Then you can use blocks collected at the sites to build pyramids for more points, and the majority of blocks on a site gets the most points. Also, a die chooses which finger you have to use to flick the blocks. Kind of a golf/billiards/El Grande hybrid."

Gordon Lamont flicking a block
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb

Carcassonne: Expansion 7 – The Catapult is one such game but, the eponymous catapult is not strong enough; my kids can still retrieve the meeples.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam mossman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Clout Fantasy makes use of dexterity for tossing chips into a pseudo ccg style game. Not super fun though the element of chance (and skill) on the toss makes it fun in small doses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tosenkyo is a game about throwing fans
Dart Wars is "risk with darts"
Bretonenboule is one that I've been looking for (and cannot find)

Crokinole, Sorry Sliders, Tumblin' Dice are similar (depending on your definition of 'throw')

Kubb, cornhole, washers, horseshoes, bocce, and ladder golf (although outside the scope of BGG) also meet your criterion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crokinole seemed to be obvious.
Some Icehouse-games of the dexterity-category might match.

Maybe Paleo?

Oh, and while it fits your requirements, it is outside the scope of BGG: Jeu de palets.

bye
Wolfgang

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupAlright, thanks for your input everyone. This is all very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:

Carcassonne: Expansion 7 – The Catapult is one such game but, the eponymous catapult is not strong enough; my kids can still retrieve the meeples.

Jim
Est. 1949

Exactly Carcassonne Catapult. Of course I am waiting anxiously when they will release the Die Macher Das Catapult. That would be fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orrin Venn
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I still like 'Wadded paper balls at the wastebasket" and "Flicking playing cards into a hat."

Not to mention 'Spitballs at the Teacher"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:

Jim
Est. 1949

You obviously need to upgrade to Carcassonne: Trebuchet. Perhaps the onager or ballista would work as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Carcassonne: The Gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.