Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Gunar
United States
Ringwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was just playing on BSW with the new cards from Intrigue. Sorry, but the pace of the game slows down to an agonizing crawl - which destroyed one of the charms of the original. It is like watching someone play solitaire and is boring as all hell.snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Vance
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be that people are still getting used to the new cards. Something similar may have happened when the original was put online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
GameWhore wrote:
I was just playing on BSW with the new cards from Intrigue. Sorry, but the pace of the game slows down to an agonizing crawl - which destroyed one of the charms of the original. It is like watching someone play solitaire and is boring as all hell.snore

How slow was it compared to the first games of Dominion you ever played? It's hardly fair to compare the length of first games with new cards to the 50th game with familiar ones.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried it yet... too busy traveling right now. Certainly I'm eager to play Intrigue, but from what I've seen of the new cards it does seem to create new opportunities for really long chains and that was one thing I didn't really like about the original game... Yes, it can seem impressive and good strategy to set up long chains, but man, that can get really tedious (even when you're the one doing it!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Birch
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will comment that it is taking longer but i know for me that is entirely related to learning the new cards. A few of the expansion cards i've started to remember their function and can play them much more quickly now. There seem to be new mechanics on BSW for many of the new cards. Many of them have options on how to be which may in the end require slightly more time than the original cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameWhore wrote:

I will heartily disagree. I played around 30 games with new cards and I didn't experience slower play *at all* let alone "slowing down to agonizing crawl". In fact, games seem to go faster since there are far less neverending Village or Lab combos.

Did you actually play more then a few games or are complaining after just one game with some guy who perhaps enjoys the glacial pace?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Having only played it F2F, I haven't either experienced a slowdown on turn. Well, there are some turns there are tricky decissions, but most of the time it works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like playing Dominion on BSW a little bit more now. The never-ending combos are a lot less frequent now as people are experimenting with the new Intrigue cards. The 3-pile depletion outcome occurs a lot now which I find refreshing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 3 four-player games with the new cards and I don't think the slow-down was that much. Yes, there was some, but since I was reading the new cards over and over I didn't mind the downtime too much.

Also my hand kept changing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clarke
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot disagree more strongly. Sure, the first couple games were slow as people learned how to work and integrate the new cards into their play style and deck building. And yes, some people play slower than others and some have different learning curves. But the cards; and choice of cards, are a fantastic addition to BSW! The Swindler, Baron and Minion can turn a game on its ear and provide for some unexpected results. I am thankful for decision and effort to add these cards. If you feel it still detracts from you pace of play, you can always use one of the many BSW options to either play aset or make one without the cards.

UPDATE - BSW has added brand new setup options that should address all your concerns!

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/Forum/index.php/topic,124263.0....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Plote
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main thing keeping me from trying to play Dominion on BSW again is that everyone got so mad at me the first time I played and wasn't going fast enough.

Definitely not a friendly environment to learn new cards or the interface in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc Nguyen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me longer to figure out the interface on BSW than actually deciding what card to buy. I was expecting the nobles/minion choice on the right side like all of the other cards. And come on, 2 greem buttons for Baron, who designed that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.