Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weetbix is an iconic breakfast brand in New Zealand and Australia. Kids grow up in new Zealand counting how many weetbix they can eat, and they have always included cards in their packets. 20 years ago these were lanscapes or cars or something like that. But in recent years they have sponsored the All Blacks, out national rugby team. And in conjuction with this sponsorship they have made cards featuring All Black rugby players instead.

Now sports cards in New Zealand are not a big thing and since NBA cards were banned in schools in the early 90s ( I remember not being able to find anyone to trade my Stoudamire (Damon not Amare) cards to by then). However last year there were ruby cards included in potatoe crisp packets and there was a real frenzy over them. This frenzy bodes well for the following of Weetbix Power Plays which is a collectable card game available only in Weetbix packets.

The game itself is a fairly simple mechanic that takes little in the way of strategic thought. Its a kids game probably targetted at 7-10 year olds that plays on the attraction of the All blacks. As a game it is not much. But I see it having some educational value for the kids in the target age group because the results must still be computed, even if they can't be influenced.

The art work is really good and I am picking these cards up where I can see them for the collectable element. There are space age looking graphics with true photographic players superimposed. The base sets, found in boxes issued prior to July also include a box to store the cards in which makes a nice addition and means any kid can collect a set. The cards of the star players such as Carter and McCaw come in late packs and come with special 3D Fx which I am yet to see but are promised on the website. I am looking forward to them.

This is a nice collectors item and I commend Weetbix for having a go at doing something new with their giveaways. After last years frenzy I expect these to be popular with kids and you might find yourself playing with a son or daughter. If so then enjoy the ride and ensure they learn the rules. Every opportunity is a learning opportunity for kids (as Tana Umanga would say on the TV ads) and this is no exception. This is no agricola but it is over with in five minutes and you've had some nice time with your kids. Just don't bring it out on games night!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.