James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing with my Discworld retheme of Dominion, I also did Intrigue. Since people complained about the artwork, here's some replacement artwork by the inestimable Paul Kidby.

Sheet 1

Ankn / Harem: Not really sure how a harem generates money, but this represents the posh and moneyed side of Ankh-Morpork.
The Patrician / Nobles: The combination of influence (2 VP) and power (+3 Card / +2 Actions).
Ramtops / Duke: This represents all the little kingdoms and fiefdoms scattered throughout the rugged land of the Ramtops, including Uberwald. The picture is of Lancre. I'd hate to see the Terrain Effect Modifier on that castle.
Greebo / Minion: "Just between you and me, he's a fiend from hell." Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad. The +2 Coin is him in human form.
Assassins' Guild / Saboteur: Trashing cards in other player's decks was too good a match. The fact that you only trash their quality cards is icing on the cake.
Coven / Torturer: Three witches, +3 Cards. Unlike Headology / Witch, they have a choice between discarding and the Curse.
The Luggage / Trading Post: The Luggage's role: eating things in your way and (in the first book) holding rhinu or (in later books) some other service, like fresh laundry.
Quantum Weather Butterfly / Tribute: One of The Lady's pieces. They flap their wings and things happen, but you don't have much control over it.

Sheet 2

Death / Upgrade: Not only does Death collect the old, which makes room for the new, but he does it constantly and seamlessly (+1 Card, +1 Action). I think it's a great fit for this card.
Small Gods / Baron: Om bartered with the lives of his followers in Small Gods, so the gods can gain followers (gain a Village / Estate) aren't above forsaking their followers (the discard). Of course, you'll probably end up with a lot of Villages / Estates clogging your deck. Interfering gods.
Hex / Bridge: Hex has been used as a calculator, thinking machine, and even can cast magic. Within the framework of the narrative, he allows the wizards to do things they otherwise couldn't.
Pictsies / Conspirator: They provide muscle (+2 Coin) when the story needs it and work better in numbers.
Captain / Coppersmith: Coppers are worth more. Get it? Get it?!
Clockwork / Ironworks: The non-magical replacement for Imps, which make devices run better or possible in the first place.
Werewolf / Mining Village: As the other card (see Vampire / Feast) that trashes itself, this is other major undead species.
The Truth / Scout: Learn what's going on in your deck.

Sheet 3

The Guilds / Great Hall: It's an Estate that doesn't clog your deck, so this represents the Guilds, who quietly keep the city running (+1 Card, +1 Action), rather than disrupt the flow.
Tourist / Masquerade: I was tempted to use Maskerade, but Discworld opera (and theatre) is more like narrative causality: "This is the way the story goes because this is the way all stories like it go." Twoflower's trip and cultural exchange seemed a better fit for this card.
Canting Crew / Shanty Town: The beggars among beggars (+2 Cards if you have no actions).
Golem / Steward: Golems do what they're told (choice of 3 actions), and they do it well.
The Lords and Ladies / Swindler: Elves control others through glamour. What you see is not what you get.
It's a Million-To-One Chance / Wishing Well: But it might just work! The image is the gods playing games with humans. I believe that's The Lady in the back.
Gargoyle / Courtyard: The Watch employs gargoyles because they're patient on a stakeout. Maybe this turn, maybe the next, but good things will come.
Woof Bloody Woof / Pawn: A useful character, but not that useful.

Sheet 4

Shamble / Secret Chamber: Shambles (not to be confused with the Shambles) are magical devices you put together out of bits laying around (the action) and are their most potent when you really need them (the reaction).

This sheet also contains one card of the Great A'Tuin / Dominion set.
The Watch / Moat: It's what the Watch does: save the city from whatever is threatening it this week.

This sheet also contains the retheme of the Black Market and Envoy Promo cards, which I dub the Rincewind set:
Rincewind / Envoy: Rincewind knows how to get out of trouble (drawing 5 cards), but nothing really good ever happens to him (player to your left chooses one to discard).
L-Space / Black Market: When you really need to dig up something out of this world, there's L-Space.

This sheet also contains alternate artwork for a few cards:
Golem / Steward: A low quality image of Dorfl.
Assassins' Guild / Saboteur: The guild coat of arms and Miss Alice Band, who bears a resemblance to Lara Croft. I couldn't help passing on the joke.
The Silver Horde / Adventurer: A better quality image, but only of Cohen.
Clacks / Spy: This is an image of Chatley Heath semaphore tower, the Roundworld counterpart of the clacks. Besides the internet. The windows kind of look like clack shutters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just saying this about the whole set, "Captain Vimes would be proud".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daily Grind
Quote:
Ankn / Harem: Not really sure how a harem generates money

That would be the Ladies of Negotiable Virtue in a Discworld setting.

NB. I would buy this stuff in a heartbeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.