Jan Vater
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the sample scenario card, it seems the good ole' Umlaut issue (i.e. those nasty little dots over some letters (the vowels a, o and u, when used in a sound shifting way in spoken German), so often encountered in German) has hit on the Jensens again.

It really is a minor quibble, goes without saying, but i can't help wondering why e.g. 'Sturmgeschütz' is spelled correctly with the diacritic above the second 'u', whereas it is lacking in 'Schütze' and 'Füsilier'? I can't imagine Chad or Kai (or John) being careless about details so i assume it"s the usual bad source problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you will write them personally to make sure things are as accurate as possible. They will surely appreciate your helpful editing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Vater
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really am curious where game designers look for their foreign language terminology. As a rule of thumb, most get it wrong anyway (do i hear someone say ASL?) and that's a pity, regarding all the painful research that must've gone into these games. So it seems the same old spoiled sources are used over and over again. Which actually creates a very own wargaming language, with words like Kreigsmarine (sic), Blitzkreig (sic), Liebstandarte (sic) or (personal favorite) Strumgeshuz (very sic).

On the other hand, these designs are made for the USA market and why bother about a tiny little diacritic, which is a curiosity to american eyes anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan, I am very interested in getting all the details correct. I am making a list of corrections as they come up. Thank you for your input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Vater
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kai,

judging from the few excerpts i managed to glance over, i'd say you actually got most details correct. Spelling of military terms has changed even in German over the decades, so some kind of line has to be drawn anyway. For example, the GD has been retitled as a 'Panzer-Grenadier-Division' in 1943, wheras the modern German army uses the term 'Panzergrenadierdivision' for their formations. So, it can be quite quite confusing to get the right term.

Regarding the GD, the following OOB terms were used from mid-'43 on:

Grenadier-Regiment Großdeutschland

Füsilier-Regiment Großdeutschland

Panzer-Regiment Großdeutschland

Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung Großdeutschland

Panzerjäger-Abteilung Großdeutschland

Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment Großdeutschland

Heeres-Flakartillerie-Abteilung Großdeutschland

Pionier-Bataillon Großdeutschland

Nachrichten-Abteilung Großdeutschland

Please notice the use of the so-called 'Esszett' letter 'ß', instead of the double s, which is unfortunately not part of ASCII and thusly quite unknown outside the German language area.

Hope this helps, if you need a helping hand in editing the german terms, just let me know,
Jan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, Jan. I've spent a great deal of time trying to figure out which letters in which words are supposed to have the umlaut. I'm close, but not quite there yet.

It's funny: I actually had the umlaut in "Füsilier" for the longest time. But then every time I would see the word online or in books the umlaut wasn't there so I took it off, assuming that I had been wrong to begin with.

As far as the esszett character, I believe that I dropped its usage in the game because only one of the various fonts that I use had it as a glyph -- so to maintain consistency throughout the components I've decided to stick with the English double ss.

In any case, I plan on posting a pdf of the near-final rulebook in the coming months. If you wouldn't mind going through it and letting me know where certain German words and terms need editing I'd be most appreciative, Jan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad, could you guys use the esszett on the boxcover?

I think it looks cool, but I also like d4s too......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Roger MacGowan will be doing the box art, I'm sure he could come up with an esszett character. I'll see what he thinks when the time comes, Robert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan, we care very much about the details you mention - getting the spelling and the orthography as correct as possible is really desirable. With Cyrillic, it's worse because there are a wide variety transliterations, not to mention which nation's applicable spelling is to be used.

Since we're focused on a German formation using German sources, it makes sense to maintain that focus and provide town, village, river names according to the German perspective. If we are long-lived enough in this series to have a solid Soviet source as the primary focus for a formation of interest, then I think it would be consistent and appropriate to use the appropriate transliterations for the same places (if we encounter them).

This is my feeling on the matter - it cannot govern Chad's ultimate decision. But I join with Chad and Kai to say - these things do matter. And thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very cool approach.

Americans are "bad" about not caring for this sort of thing... like thinking it makes a game look "Russian" if the name includes an "R" but they make the R "backwards,"... never mind that this letter in Russian is a "ya" sound. Etc. Etc.

If it helps, keep in mind how you expect to pronounce "fusiler." Without the umlaut, it's a "short" U, as in "mutt" or "butt."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Vater
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:

In any case, I plan on posting a pdf of the near-final rulebook in the coming months. If you wouldn't mind going through it and letting me know where certain German words and terms need editing I'd be most appreciative, Jan.

Kai, Chad, John,

i'd feel honored to lend a hand, goes without saying.

Just drop me a PM and i'll see what i can do.

Looking forward to see the results of all your hard work,

Jan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to be consistent with the german language :

if you want to use " Grossdeutschland" in the title, the rest should read as " Infanterie Division " ( or " Fusstruppe Division " ? ) , no ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. Grossdeutschland is a specific title; a proper noun. "Infanterie" on the other hand is simply the German spelling of the English word "Infantry."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK

" GREATER GERMANY INFANTRY DIVISION " would be a nice title for a game also, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
MidKentGamerUK wrote:
It'd be muchly appreciated if the game titles could remain 'Americanised' (ie no wee dots or giant lumpy S's) as it's a right royal pain in the plums trying to 'search' online game stores/eBay for games with them!

Ta ever so

You mean, like, "Fighting Formations?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MidKentGamerUK wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
You mean, like, "Fighting Formations?"

I mean, like, "Grossdeutschland" rather than 'Großdeutschland' - did that really need to be spelt out for you?

I meant "what's so hard about doing a search for a title like 'fighting formations.'" - did that really need to be spelled out for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Food fight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch out for similar issues in other languages, e.g. Polish - the beautiful Friedrich map has Polish Ł correctly but ended up erroneously dropping the diacritical marks from all other Polish letters (Ą, Ę, Ć, etc to A, E, C etc), so that (e.g.) Łódź ended up (mis)printed as Łodz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is of course published already, but one way to write 'umlauts' (umlaeuten?) is to type / use an 'e' after the original vowel that features the umlaut, so that a(umlaut) = ae, o(umlaut) = oe, u(umlaut) = ue. You can write words with these 'umlauted' letters this way if your keyboard doesn't support / allow typing the 'umlauts'. Either way is equally correct grammatically ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.