Memoir '44» Forums » Variants

Subject: Tigers that Roar Instead of Purring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing Memoir 44 with the Tiger Tank we thought it needed some modification of our own. For those who like their Tigers to purr instead or roaring, this is not for you.

Tiger Tank

Move = 0-2

Battle Dice = 4 (we thought 3 Battle Dice kind of week for the Tiger Tank and since we sometimes opt to replace an elite tank unit with a Tiger, this would add some consideration in our choice making).

Range = 4 (with this kind of range it compensates for its slow movement and we also believed that an anti-aircraft gun should have longer range than a regular tank). Some of us wanted to increase its range to 5 but reduce its firepower at longer ranges (like artillery). Since the tank is firing horizontally the majority of us agreed that a range of 4 would be acceptable

Armour Protection = no change

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still waiting for my Tiger expansion to arrive, so i can't comment from a personal experience perspective.

All I would say is that it would have been extensively playtested, so any change MAY unballance scenarios including Tigers. Unballance in the sense of what the scenario balance was INTENDED to be of course.

I will want to play quite a few scenarios before I even think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
House rules are more for players that are open minded and don't mind to tamper with the way things are. We like to try out new things, and for us, no rule is ever written in stone. If we agree that the changes are for the better, or improves the game for us, than so be it. We don't mind if the game is balanced or unbalanced because we are not competitive, we just like to play games because we enjoy it, and sometimes it's fun just trying to beat the odds. There is nothing wrong with losing, it's how you play the game. If we wanted to play a balanced game, we would stick to chess and even there, unless you are playing with an opponent who has the same skill as you, the game could be unbalanced.
When we play Memoir 44 with our Tiger Tanks, there is more a sense of dread about the game. The Tiger Tanks in our games can dish out a lot of punishment and take it as well. If I had to choose between an elite tank unit (4 tanks, battle dice 3, range 3) or our Tiger Tank (1 tank, battle dice 4, range 4, special armor rule) I would have a tougher time deciding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made it quite clear that I wasn't talking about a balanced game. Hardly any Memoir scenarios are blanced, and I have no problem with that because I always play for the enjoyable experience rather than the win. It was the balance of the scenario as set out that I CLEARLY referred to.

I also have no proplem about pimping games if I am convinced it is an improvement, as i have mentioned on other threads. Your comment about open mindedness is neither relevant nor accurate.

I just need to be convinced that a house rule is EITHER necessary or an improvement, as I said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
House rules are a personal choice for those who have already played the scenarios as is. You can't make house rules until after you've played the game/scenarios to see if a change would be good or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that's what I said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Paschal
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
here is my suggestion
2 Figures
Movement
0-2
Combat
4-4-3-2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that would be acceptable as well (not sure about 2 figs). Basically I just think that the Tigers are kind of weak the way they are. By giving them a movement of 2 (due to their and heaviness and unreliability) and a longer range and firepower (88 anti-aircraft gun)it would make them more aggressive and a better substitute if a player wishes to replace his elite armor unit with a Tiger. I wasn't exactly sure about changing the armor rule (apparently the T34 had thinner armor but because it was slanted it gave it better protection than the Tiger)but since the Tiger only has 1 figure it needs some kind of staying power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised at how well the Tiger rules evoked the proper feel. Although I've had some pretty short games of Villers-Bocage. In one the Germans played Armored Assault and won on the first turn. The Brits never played a card. In another 3 Tigers were dead by the end of the second turn. Of course that is a gunfight scenario roll early and roll often. Good dice rolling fer sure.

I've been buying 1/144 scale armor to use with M'44 so I do tweak it a bit with house rules myself. There are more than this but in a nut shell. Grenades only hit in Close Assault unless directed by a Tactics card.

Tanks with High Velocity Guns/Ammo (Tigers included) score hits on STAR Symbols versus Armor targets.

Many British Armored units after D-Day included one Sherman Firefly in each 4 tank troop. A Firefly could kill Tigers so the Germans made it a priority to locate and kill the Fireflies.

Thus an undamaged British Armored Unit gets the HVAP bonus, hits Armor on Stars, until it loses a figure. Then it becomes regular armor.

Tiger Is had about the same road speed and agility as the Pz IVs so I don't penalize them on movement. Tiger IIs I do cut movement to two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this variant very much.

Further, I think that regular German armor units should have an option to shoot one die at range 4 if they have not moved that turn and 4 dice during close assault/overruns against armor.

German cannons, munitions, optics, doctrine and training, and the historic record all seem to indicate to me that German armor had a distinct edge in their ability to shoot at a greater distance than their enemies could and with lethal results. As near as I can figure, each hex represents about 300 meters and each turn is about 10-15 minutes. The units are about battalion sized, with each figure representing about a company.

The scale of Memoir '44 forces a lot of abstraction, but there are myriad rules to cover all the different types of infantry. I find the one size fits all armor rules to be a real downside to an otherwise outstanding game.

British tanks (the Firefly excepted) were nearly universally pathetic in the main gun department. The vast majority were low powered 40 mm guns that could not penetrate enemy armor. By the same token, they had extremely good defensive armor (and moved rather slowly as a result).

American stuby HE firing 75 mm guns were nearly as pathetic and the propensity for the American tanks to burn because of gasoline engines was so well known that our Shermans were nicknamed "Ronsons", after the famous cigarette lighters. The anti-tank guns were open turreted, and thus the crews were exposed to both infantry small arms fire and shrapnel from air burst artillery. The guns with the HVAP rounds were barely adequate, but the open turret design was a big limiter. The Brass was still fighting WW I, with tanks as infantry support rather than tank to tank combat. They were stuck on the doctrine of having anti-tank units rather than engage in tank to tank combat. It took actual combat against the superior German armor and lots of dead GIs to finally crack through this stubborn (stupid) mindset.

Yet, except for "elite" units all having 4 pieces and the Tiger's unique double hit requirements, the armor are all treated exactly the same...and that just is not particularly accurate.

I love Memoir '44, but it wouldn't hurt to at least have some scenario rules to offer just a little bit of distinction between the various armor units that were fielded.

Winter Wars Expansion has excellent rules for Tank Destroyers that I use for Tigers when they shoot vs. armor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.