Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Hwang
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely ask "is this game for me?" kind of questions as I like to assert my independence of choice.

But this one, I'm quite torn.

Things about Silent War that tempt me are;

1. Thematic: I can feel that it will have story to it. Approaching lesser known territory with less than perfect capability. Someone's got to do it and let's hope for the best. All shiveringly tempting storyline waiting to unfold. I imagine that it will feel great to build up and improve your fleets, for the sheer survival and the ultimate victory.
2. Solo play: Self explanatory.

At the same time, things that tell me SW is not for me are;

1. Fiddliness: I loathe fiddliness. To put things in perspective, I found Ambush! to be fiddly and slow. I see that Vassal helps a lot but I love the tactile feel of chits. I'm very interested in wargames but my experience is limited to Twilight Struggle, BattleLore, Hammer of the Scots, Memoir '44. Probably Arkham Horror is the extreme end of fiddliness spectrum that I can endure for an excellent theme.
2. Speed: I saw the word "repetitive" often in SW forums. I like games that progress to climax with good speed, or at least games with momentum that gives you the sense of progress. Do campaigns provide that kind of speed?
3. Theme: I like especially Roman history and war history in general but was never really interested in naval warfare or submarines. Does SW appeal to fans mainly because of the details of submarine warfare, which would mean little to me? Or does the major attraction of SW lie in its system and playability?

Anyone with buyer's remorse or buyer's satisfaction that I can relate to?

Geez- it's a long posting. Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

For what it is worth, my opinion is this: this game is a solo and there are very,very few solo games around. If it suits a minority then why not cater for that minority ?
True, maybe the theme might not go down well with all solo players, but at least there is just one more solo game to add to a partially non-existent list of games (albeit, an expensive one ).
Solo variants do not always work well, so solo players invariably end up frustrated with the only option they have ie: play the variant or do not buy. Not much of a choice shake
My main gripe is that the solo games that are out now seem to have a war theme eg; Ambush and Silent War. Could it be that lack of imagination on the part of the designer of the game ? Maybe. The solo "Chainsaw Warrior" (a real oldie) had a zombie feel to it,but it realy was quite a prolonged boring game, imho.
Anyhow, soloists might take pleasure in Silent War and not necessarily because it is a submarine/war game but because they have no choices available to them.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
N├╝rnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
do yourself a favour and skip this game. do not even look at it's forums ever again. this game is definetly not made for you.

1. it is WAY more fiddy than say ambush! oder armham horror.... You need to deal with large stacks of counters...

2. Gameplay is definetly repetitive and a campaign is long as hell . You can play scenarios as well, but i think they are only a bonus, the heart of the game is the campaign.

3. The former... you need to be attracted by the hunt of the yamato to really enjoy this game. the system is fine as well but it'S not good enough to make YOU enjoy the game.

ps: just my 2 cents, no offense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dennis
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, but probably not for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Cooper
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silent War (SW) is probably one of the better solo games ever designed. Solo games come in two versions, overly complicated (Field of Fire) or overly simple like Rommel (DVG), SW falls somewhere inbetween. As with any solo game there are lots of dice rolling. It can be very short or very long, depending on your game. As a simulation it is an effective representation of the US submarine warfare campaign during WW2. Ambush was a great solo game but it was a stop and go game, as you had to refer to certain charts and such to see if there was any enemy reaction.SW is a more streamlined system I feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Silent War is a simulation first, and a game second. It is a mechanical number-cruncher, wherein you are the orchestrator. There are thousands of iterations of the same choices, but not a whole lot of strategy.

Having said that, I like the game, but will be the first to admit that it can get mind-numbing after a while, pulling the IJN out of cups, lining them up, picking a row, checking the modifiers, drawing the targetting chits, picking the targets, rolling the dice, cleaning it all up, putting the sub back on the map, and repeating that process another 25 times, before moving on to the next turn which - by some miracle of game design - will eerily resemble the previous turn to a remarkable degree.

This is not for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hwang
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your inputs.
I'm leaning towards skipping this one. I guess fiddliness and repetitiveness eventually tipped the scale.

(now I'm looking at B-17: Queen of the Skies... shake )

p.s. Gordon raised interesting point- most solitaire intended games are war themed. Hmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Repetitive - yes

Fiddely - no

Still sounds like it is not for you (but it is definitely for me). As was said, it is a historical simulation more than a game. I read Blair's "Silent Victory" a chapter at a time trying to keep in sync with the game. I've learned an awful lot about history and submarines, but I can understand why some might be bored with it. I loved it.

Oh, and long? - Oh yes, very. Took me about 200 hours to finish the campaign. Set it up and come back to it for an hour or two a day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shininiu wrote:
Thank you for all your inputs.
I'm leaning towards skipping this one. I guess fiddliness and repetitiveness eventually tipped the scale.

(now I'm looking at B-17: Queen of the Skies... shake )

p.s. Gordon raised interesting point- most solitaire intended games are war themed. Hmm.

B17 is even more repetitiive than Silent war...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.