Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
A few quick rules questions:

1. Several of the Status cards refer to 'Award Paragraph' (like Determined, I believe). What is this exactly?

2. A few things say 'After you have a successful encounter'. We just played that any encounter that left you still in the space and alive was successful. Correct?

3. Curious how others play 'options' from the paragraph book, where the player has to make a choice (like accept a proposed wedding or not). Do you read the whole entry with results before letting the player choose, or just give him/her the options and make a choice without knowing the consequences (which seems more fun)?

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about #2, but the Award paragraph is the bit at the end that awards your character stuff - eg, S1/D1/Treasure/Grief-Stricken. As for play options, I would never let the player know the consequences, that would completely spoil the fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely things like "Do you offer a bribe or not" the player should not know the outcomes beforehand.

As for #2, I haven't seen the new book of tales, but in the old edition, many statuses would go away if you got a "Q:S" result from a certain type of NPC. (Q:S standing for Quest Success) I don't know if there's a similar thing in place in the new game or not. If not, I'd say a successful encounter is just an encounter. But going to a city, drawing a card and having it be a city card, where you don't make a choice that turn, would not count as a successful encounter.

Edit: Actually looked at the rules, and I'd agree that "successful" = not dying.

Also, ignore that bit above that doesn't make sense with the new ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
3. Curious how others play 'options' from the paragraph book, where the player has to make a choice (like accept a proposed wedding or not). Do you read the whole entry with results before letting the player choose, or just give him/her the options and make a choice without knowing the consequences (which seems more fun)?

Page 12 of the rule book states

Quote:
When you are the Reader, you begin by reading only
the first part of the paragraph (before the list of skills,
etc.). Then, you read off the list of skills, etc. but don’t
read the text after the skills yet! The other player must
choose which skills (if any) he is going to use before he
knows what the results of his choice will be!

I added the bold but I would take this to mean any choice not just related to skills really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
A few quick rules questions:

1. Several of the Status cards refer to 'Award Paragraph' (like Determined, I believe). What is this exactly?

*****As Universal Head pointed out it is the stuff in the brackets giving out the awards.

engelstein wrote:

2. A few things say 'After you have a successful encounter'. We just played that any encounter that left you still in the space and alive was successful. Correct?

***I thought we explained that somewhere but it means having an encounter and you remain in the same place.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman wrote:
***I thought we explained that somewhere but it means having an encounter and you remain in the same place.

On page 5 under "Quest Cards":
Quote:
Some quests require
you to visit multiple locations, which you
mark with your character’s Quest markers.
To claim a marker requires remaining in the
space after you have an encounter there.

Also page 15 under "Game End":
Quote:
Once you reach Baghdad (and remain there after
surviving an encounter), you announce that you are
going to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis wrote:
Zman wrote:

On page 5 under "Quest Cards":
Quote:
Some quests require
you to visit multiple locations, which you
mark with your character’s Quest markers.
To claim a marker requires remaining in the
space after you have an encounter there.

Also page 15 under "Game End":
Quote:
Once you reach Baghdad (and remain there after
surviving an encounter), you announce that you are
going to win.

Yeah, we saw those. But the word 'successful' does not appear in the rules anywhere that we found, while it does on certain cards. And the discussion we had was whether getting kicked in the head by a beggar is a success or not

But I think Zev confirmed what we assumed.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
Yeah, we saw those. But the word 'successful' does not appear in the rules anywhere that we found, while it does on certain cards. And the discussion we had was whether getting kicked in the head by a beggar is a success or not :)

Ha! Good point. And yeah, searching the pdf didn't find "successful" either, so it's only implied by the above two statements. Maybe a good start for a FAQ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Maroney
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman wrote:
I thought we explained that somewhere but it means having an encounter and you remain in the same place.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.

We did talk about it, and I thought you had added it somewhere to the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question about "Successful Encounter" - usually it says "Remain in the space after a successful encounter".

There are some instances where you have to move somewhere else on the board right after the encounter. It sounds like that would not meet the requirements in that case then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.