Recommend
25 
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: "I tell it like I see it."* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
I think this statement is another way of saying: "The social constructs that we as a society have established over hundreds of years that require me to be civil in mixed company is not sufficient for me, so I will be rude and direct and excuse it with a pithy statement."





* See also: "I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking."
22 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Corollary: "With all due respect" never precedes a respectful statement.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wharton
United States
Thomasville
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like "The fact is...", followed by opinion.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drudiusmaximus wrote:
I like "The fact is...", followed by opinion.


That's funny, because when I say "In my opinion, ..." it is followed by stone cold facts.

devil
30 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
"I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking."


Then there's a related "Only Mark could say that" Sometimes he says what everyone one is thinking and people laugh at it or roll eyes, but if anyone else said it there would be hurt feelings (no you don't know Mark, so don't bother trying to remember him)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An * in a thread title gets a thumbsup from me.










[size=6]* This is not actually a foot note, merely the reference to the symbol used for a foot note. Move on.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem inherent within the thought behind someone saying "I call it like I see it" is that it doesn't clearly state what that person thinks about the quality of their own vision.

One might be saying it in a self-depreciating way, as sort of an IMHO-style disclaimer.

Or one might be saying that their vision is acutely sharper than average, and that others might see clearly too if they got a pair of me-colored-glasses.

Both seem to discount emotion or bias involved in the statements which follow. Surely, most of these same folks will not speak like an NPR journalist--reserving judgement for the listener.

Rather, they are usually quick to make absolute statements about ethereal things, based upon emotional responses (even if buried psychologically) and not mere visual reporting.

A more credible way to say that would be:

"I say it how I interpret it..."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
On a related note, I seem to have six bosses at work today. Three people have come up to me today -- from the IT director to the department head of a program to the campus registrar -- effectively telling me how to do my job. The IT guy came in saying, "You need to adjust your testing schedule for this afternoon because I need to install some furniture in the lab," when I think he should be saying, "Can you adjust the testing schedule for this afternoon? I need to install some furniture in the lab." The campus registrar tells me, "You can't wait until Friday to sign off for these students," when I think she should have said, "I don't know if you know the procedure for giving students their degrees, but if you wait too long to process their end-of-school paperwork, then they have to wait an additional two weeks to get their diplomas. Can you process these earlier in the week?" The department head tells me, "You have to be here to proctor this student's test tomorrow," when I think she probably should have said, "Will you be free tomorrow at noon to proctor this student's test?" This is all aggravating, in part because (a) the test schedule is essentially written in stone first thing in the morning, (b) no one ever explained the end-of-school paperwork process to me, (c) I won't be available tomorrow because I have a meeting, (d) you're not my freaking boss, and (e) asking a question of me is much more tolerable than giving me an order.

This is all in addition to the fact that I report to the Campus President, the Campus Director of Education, and the Director of Libraries for different aspects of my job. I'm just glad that I'm not prone to migraines.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
On a related note, I seem to have six bosses at work today. Three people have come up to me today -- from the IT director to the department head of a program to the campus registrar -- effectively telling me how to do my job. The IT guy came in saying, "You need to adjust your testing schedule for this afternoon because I need to install some furniture in the lab," when I think he should be saying, "Can you adjust the testing schedule for this afternoon? I need to install some furniture in the lab." The campus registrar tells me, "You can't wait until Friday to sign off for these students," when I think she should have said, "I don't know if you know the procedure for giving students their degrees, but if you wait too long to process their end-of-school paperwork, then they have to wait an additional two weeks to get their diplomas. Can you process these earlier in the week?" The department head tells me, "You have to be here to proctor this student's test tomorrow," when I think she probably should have said, "Will you be free tomorrow at noon to proctor this student's test?" This is all aggravating, in part because (a) the test schedule is essentially written in stone first thing in the morning, (b) no one ever explained the end-of-school paperwork process to me, (c) I won't be available tomorrow because I have a meeting, (d) you're not my freaking boss, and (e) asking a question of me is much more tolerable than giving me an order.

This is all in addition to the fact that I report to the Campus President, the Campus Director of Education, and the Director of Libraries for different aspects of my job. I'm just glad that I'm not prone to migraines.

You can't post that much information in Chit Chat without starting a new thread and putting a warning label on it for people who do suffer from migraines.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
On a related note, I seem to have six bosses at work today. Three people have come up to me today -- from the IT director to the department head of a program to the campus registrar -- effectively telling me how to do my job. The IT guy came in saying, "You need to adjust your testing schedule for this afternoon because I need to install some furniture in the lab," when I think he should be saying, "Can you adjust the testing schedule for this afternoon? I need to install some furniture in the lab." The campus registrar tells me, "You can't wait until Friday to sign off for these students," when I think she should have said, "I don't know if you know the procedure for giving students their degrees, but if you wait too long to process their end-of-school paperwork, then they have to wait an additional two weeks to get their diplomas. Can you process these earlier in the week?" The department head tells me, "You have to be here to proctor this student's test tomorrow," when I think she probably should have said, "Will you be free tomorrow at noon to proctor this student's test?" This is all aggravating, in part because (a) the test schedule is essentially written in stone first thing in the morning, (b) no one ever explained the end-of-school paperwork process to me, (c) I won't be available tomorrow because I have a meeting, (d) you're not my freaking boss, and (e) asking a question of me is much more tolerable than giving me an order.

This is all in addition to the fact that I report to the Campus President, the Campus Director of Education, and the Director of Libraries for different aspects of my job. I'm just glad that I'm not prone to migraines.


Tell these people to stop giving you orders.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
Avatar
mb
This reminds me of my favorite one of these: "I'm just saying."

You say whatever you want but add, "you can't hold any of this against me because I'm only just saying it... that's all."

It gets even better when someone continues to try and defend his position by repeating it with various inflections. And those who use it seem to think that it is sufficient to prove some sort of point.

A: "That Jackson was kinda crazy."
B: "That's not nice... and so soon."
A: "I'm just saying."
B: "But it's mean"
A: "But, no. I'm just saying."
B: "still"
A: "I'm only saying. That's all. I'm just saying."
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
amwiles wrote:
You can't post that much information in Chit Chat without starting a new thread and putting a warning label on it for people who do suffer from migraines.

I've already posted two threads today, and I didn't want to step on erak's toes by making an outlined list of the things that are bugging me today.

Sorry about the migraine, though.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm. move away.. slowly....

Just saying.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
amwiles wrote:
You can't post that much information in Chit Chat without starting a new thread and putting a warning label on it for people who do suffer from migraines.

I've already posted two threads today, and I didn't want to step on erak's toes by making an outlined list of the things that are bugging me today.

Sorry about the migraine, though.


You know I was totally joking, right?

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
amwiles wrote:
You know I was totally joking, right?

Just playing it safe.

Dang. That probably gave you a migraine for reals. Sorry again.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowe_PI wrote:
Corollary: "With all due respect" never precedes a respectful statement.


"I'm not a racist but...." always precedes a racist assertion.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my faves:

"I don't mean to be blunt, but......." - precedes saying something blunt.

"If you forgive me for saying so,....." - also precedes something rude that the speaker does not want forgiveness for or is/will be sorry they said it. If you were truly sorry/ashamed, you would hold your tongue and NOT say it!!

"Pardon my French." - a way to utter a 4-letter word where it is not appropriate and to suffer no consequences.

"I don't mean to pry....." - before you actually do pry/ask something personal.

"I'm sorry to bother/interrupt you......" - if you really were, you wouldn't!


I find that these phrases are devoid of meaning and are just wasted sounds in our ears. No one who uses them actually means the words literally at all.


PS: Psssst Isaac!! June's not over yet; I'm still reading, so I can't tell you what I've read in June until tomorrow!!!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
"I'm sorry to bother/interrupt you......" - if you really were, you wouldn't!

I disagree here. Often, I am truly sorry that I have to interrupt someone, but sometimes there's just no way around it, and I really need to tell them something, or I really need help from them that can't wait. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to catch certain people who are always busy, and one must interrupt them in order to get work done.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With all due respect, the fact is no one's going to read this thread anyway.

Hey, I just tell it like I see it.
11 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Suzie is [insert slanderous gossip], bless her heart"

Because saying something like "bless their heart" makes it OK?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
"Suzie is [insert slanderous gossip], bless her heart"

Because saying something like "bless their heart" makes it OK?


I suppose it depends on the content of the slanderous gossip, and who's saying it...

"Suzie is as easy as the TV Guide crossword, bless her heart!"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Aarontu wrote:
"Suzie is [insert slanderous gossip], bless her heart"

Because saying something like "bless their heart" makes it OK?


I am fascinated by the phrase "Bless her heart." It's not common in my region of the country, but how I've seen it operate is exactly like what you say. "Bless her heart" allows you to make some sort of slanderous statement, . . .

. . . but it goes down real easy-like. cool



I've never heard it said that way. My mother-in-law says it quite frequently, and she says it when she has empathy for someone.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
"Pardon my French." - a way to utter a 4-letter word where it is not appropriate and to suffer no consequences.


And it's hardly ever French!


"Bless your/his/her heart." is Southern for "What an idiot."


Edit: Unless my mom says it. She says it when she has empathy for someone.
8 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
"Pardon my French." - a way to utter a 4-letter word where it is not appropriate and to suffer no consequences.


And it's hardly ever French!


"Bless your/his/her heart." is Southern for "What an idiot."


Edit: Unless my mom says it. She says it when she has empathy for someone.


Quit, you're making me laugh too hard.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Southerner: I tell you what.
Yank: ...What?
Southerner: I just told ya.*

Thank you, Bill Engval.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.