Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Kingsburg» Forums » General

Subject: New Scenario: Wheel and Deal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
For those interested, there's a new scenario for Kingsburg (designed by me) freely available at FFG website; click here to see its page or click here to open the .PDF file.
This time a bit of "role selection" is added to the game.
Have fun! meeple
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
looks good. Where did the picture come from? the expansion?

Some of the roles seems much more powerful than the others, at least at first glance, though I guess some are more dependent on luck than others.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really liking all of the scenarios that you're making for this game. Great work!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
looks good. Where did the picture come from? the expansion?

Yes.

Kamakaze wrote:
Some of the roles seems much more powerful than the others, at least at first glance, though I guess some are more dependent on luck than others.

I've tested it a bit, but a very rigorous playtesting would have required a lot more time (given how some roles vary in power based on the number of players, for example). I hope the difference in power is not too great. If your games should prove otherwsie, I'll be glad to hear your feedback.
Thanks for playing, in any case.
(...and if you're going to play this scenario just a couple of times, consider the ability to identify the "best" role to pick as part of the challenge! )

Eeeville wrote:
I'm really liking all of the scenarios that you're making for this game. Great work!

Thanks, my reward is hearing that the effort is appreciated!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very, VERY interesting scenario, Luca.
Again, you guys are showing how much extra efforts you are providing to fans of the game, free of charge. I really hope people are seeing how much added value you are providing.

This particular scenario is the most-impacting yet, with the most powerful modifications that would significantly impact the gameplay. I'm surprised it's not part of the expansion.

For any group that has gotten their fill of the standard gameplay, this would certainly provide a new tableau to try their hand at mastering.

The Aristocracy, Military, Secret Society, and Craftsman seem at first look to be on the stronger side.
Even though it would be hard to optimize (unless there is something in the expansion that allows someone to lower their die rolls), I really like the idea behind the Clergy - having little wealth but gaining in eternal favor (VP) is quite reminiscent of the Bible verse about
The Bible wrote:
"Harder it is for a rich man to enter the gates of heaven
than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle"

The Clergy may be poor (in dice pool, therefore resources) but they grant a nice VP effect.
So thematically brilliant! thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh - also it mentions that each player should place one of the building tokens "near" the roles on the card.

Problem is - there is no area on the card to really do that.
There is no easy-to-see line of demarcation between the 8 roles on the card.

Do you think a little table could be inserted to the left of the rules text to give a place to put the building tokens?

Wait - the building tokens are circular - would they be too large to fit on the scenario card?
How large is the scenario, printed out? (edit - the pdf shows 7" x 4.3")
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peasants ?
Peasants: and spot 5 w/stables and spot 6. How does it work?

I really like Artists, and I'm trying to figure out how to exploit Outlaws. Also, thanks for these scenarios Luca. You guys are awesome. I check BGG everyday for news on the expansion release. A lot of retail sites say July. Any info on that? Also, any more teasers ie. characters or events? Okay I'm done.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
The Aristocracy, Military, Secret Society, and Craftsman seem at first look to be on the stronger side.

As a side note, I had initially thought to copy the rule from Puerto Rico of "adding a coin to unchosen roles", but using "+2" tokens rather than coins (or to avoid a cascade of tokens: a "+2" token if the role is left unchosen for a turn, a VP - indicated by a penny or a bean or something - if unchosen for another consecutive turn, and then a gold, a wood, a stone... Possibly with some sort of scaling due to the number of players, since unlike PR here there are always 8 roles, so the unchosen are 6 with 2 players up to only 3 with 5 players).
But the text was already long so I cut that part.

reapersaurus wrote:
The Clergy may be poor (in dice pool, therefore resources) but they grant a nice VP effect.
So thematically brilliant! thumbsup

Thanks. I added some "flavourful" explanations here and there, but the text was already too long and FFG had to cut them (for example, the Outlaws getting their "free" help as the product of successful blackmail, of course done against the "weakest" Advisor not under the influence of anyone).

reapersaurus wrote:
Oh - also it mentions that each player should place one of the building tokens "near" the roles on the card.

Problem is - there is no area on the card to really do that.
There is no easy-to-see line of demarcation between the 8 roles on the card.

I'm afraid it was too wordy for FFG to put all of that in the template.
However, it is just intended to be a reminder of who chose what. You may use any system you prefer: wirte on paper or use 8 "role" cards a-la-Puerto Rico (it could be easy to create them with Strange Eons, for example)...

frog213 wrote:
Peasants: and spot 5 w/stables and spot 6. How does it work?

If you "double" (via Peasant) Advisor #5, you get his help twice. With the Stables, his help means 2 soldiers. Thus the total is an impressive 4 soldiers!
If you "double" (via Peasant) Advisor #6, you do a transformation and then the other (so you can use a product of the first one to fuel the second one).
Did I answer the question(s)?

frog213 wrote:
I check BGG everyday for news on the expansion release. A lot of retail sites say July. Any info on that? Also, any more teasers ie. characters or events?

I think FFG will post something when they think that the Stars Are Right (ooops, wrong game... I meant, when they think it is the right time. Hopefully soon. ).
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the detailed answering of curious fans' questions.
Luke the Flaming wrote:
As a side note, I had initially thought to copy the rule from Puerto Rico of "adding a coin to unchosen roles", but using "+2" tokens rather than coins (or to avoid a cascade of tokens: a "+2" token if the role is left unchosen for a turn, a VP - indicated by a penny or a bean or something - if unchosen for another consecutive turn, and then a gold, a wood, a stone... Possibly with some sort of scaling due to the number of players, since unlike PR here there are always 8 roles, so the unchosen are 6 with 2 players up to only 3 with 5 players).
But the text was already long so I cut that part.
That's an interesting idea - both the bribing to balance weaker roles, as well as the problematic scaling factor.

Of course it quickly gets fiddly and complicated - perhaps the simplest mechanic would be to add +2 tokens on unchosen roles, and then allow players to swap out multiple +2 tokens on some scale you come up with.
Perhaps 2 +2 tokens = 1 VP
3 +2 tokens = choice of gold, wood, or stone

Quote:
I added some "flavourful" explanations here and there, but the text was already too long and FFG had to cut them (for example, the Outlaws getting their "free" help as the product of successful blackmail, of course done against the "weakest" Advisor not under the influence of anyone).

I'm afraid it was too wordy for FFG to put all of that in the template.
However, it is just intended to be a reminder of who chose what. You may use any system you prefer: wirte on paper or use 8 "role" cards a-la-Puerto Rico (it could be easy to create them with Strange Eons, for example)...
I'm curious - what was the complete text you wanted to fit on the Scenario?
Because while FFG may use a restricting template, your BGG posts can be as long and sharing of details as you want. cool
Please - share with us all the text you thought might be beneficial to have in the Scenario. thumbsup

Quote:
I think FFG will post something when they think that the Stars Are Right (ooops, wrong game... I meant, when they think it is the right time. Hopefully soon. ).
Are you referring to the upcoming Faidutti game, Ad Astra perhaps?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
Did I answer the question(s)?


Yes, and thank you. I don't know why I thought it would function any different than influencing twice w/ the envoy? Maybe the way it was worded? These scenarios are awesome BTW. I thought you were done at 3, but here's #4.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers, both for posting these nifty little PDFs for one of our favorites games, and also for the Arkham Horror references in your post, Luca (unless "Stars Are Right" is referring to something else.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
Please - share with us all the text you thought might be beneficial to have in the Scenario.

Thanks for the support, but they were just a few bits of flavour (nothing you cannot miss ).

Mr_Nuts wrote:
Cheers, both for posting these nifty little PDFs for one of our favorites games, and also for the Arkham Horror references in your post, Luca (unless "Stars Are Right" is referring to something else.)

Thanks (yeah, those stars! ).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the scenarios. Looking forward to playing them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cornelius
United States
Alabaster
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the scenario Luca. Between the new expansion and these scenarios the game can be varied in so many ways! I look forward to any new scenarios you and Andrea can come up with in addition to any other expansions/games in the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rule for Clergy is not clearly stated. What do you mean by "definitive roll?"

Do you mean the total of the three dice plus the values of any modifiers used?

Or do you mean each and every total placed on an Advisor? (in which case you might get 2 VP three times).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Gronak wrote:
The rule for Clergy is not clearly stated. What do you mean by "definitive roll?"

The sum of your dice after you have used any effect to manipulate it (if you have any, like Statue and Chapel) and before you start to influence anyone (e.g. the total used to determine the turn order). Thus you can get at most 2 VPs per productive season via Clergy.
Have fun! meeple
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.