Modern Art» Forums » General

Subject: What's Your High Score (or the Highest You've Seen)??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Kilby
United States
California
flag msg tools
I just played the other night and scored a personal/group best of $712,000 after the fourth and final round.

What's the highest you've ever scored in this game. I'm wondering if this was an abnormally high score or not. Usually our games end with a winning score of about $400,000 to $450,000.

Please Post!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time we played the winner had over $800,000 (in a 3-player game). That's the highest I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Wow. The highest score I've ever gotten was in the $400,000s. Mind you, I've only played the game a half-dozen times or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've ever seen a score above about $475,000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Highest I recall was in the 470s, but I don't really keep up with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
700+ in a 4-player game. Actually nobody in my group has ever won with less than 500.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those crazy scores make me think your games either have everyone paying very little for their paintings, or the players other than the winner have very low scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kilby
United States
California
flag msg tools
Actually, the inflated score is probably better attributed to the number of cards that were played in each round, and the concentration of cards played in each Artist's column.

If I recall correctly, in 2 of the 4 rounds (I think the 2nd and 3rd) we had a total of 12 cards that paid out (the maximum) and in each case, those artists that paid out were repeat-placers (aka large value). So, in the third round we had something like 4 Karl Gitters (5 played, one of which was never purchased) in first place worth a cumulative value of 80 each, 4 Yokos worth 40 each, and 4 Kryptos worth 60 each. That makes it a total of 720 thousand paid out at the end of the 3rd round alone.

Also, the 4th round was rather fruitful because the artist distribution was so concentrated throughout (Lite Metal never hit the table), so auction values were high.

The second place guy boasted that he thought he had a record high total for our group and revealed about 550. Much to his chagrin, I collected on my paintings and counted out 712. I was pretty psyched. We were playing with a good group of 4 players that are all skilled gamers.

I'm guessing that with 3 players, in the same scenario I outlined above, the totals could top-out above 800.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The highest winning score I've seen is $585,000, which was my winning score from the very first game I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When inexperienced players play MA, they usually just keep playing out artists that are 'hot' to capitalise, and thus the game ends quickly, and scores are low.

With experienced players, each player continually conspires to cause artists that were looking like they would be worth alot to become almost worthless. In many rounds that I have played, each of the losing artists had 4 cards that are played. With such a large number of cards being played, it is inevitable that scores would be higher. It is rather unlikely that a winning score will be less than 500 if every player is experienced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
It sure would be nice if all game loggers used the full feature here at BGG. I looked through the past two months of logged plays (200ish game logs) and found only 25 credible recordings where the game score was noted.

It appears that 500 or more points are scored by the winner about half the time. The average winning score is just below 500 and the average score for any player at the table is just under 400. Number of players has only a slight effect on scoring--average is almost flat and top and bottom scores rise and fall a little, respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kilby
United States
California
flag msg tools
boing123 wrote:
When inexperienced players play MA, they usually just keep playing out artists that are 'hot' to capitalise, and thus the game ends quickly, and scores are low.

With experienced players, each player continually conspires to cause artists that were looking like they would be worth alot to become almost worthless. In many rounds that I have played, each of the losing artists had 4 cards that are played. With such a large number of cards being played, it is inevitable that scores would be higher. It is rather unlikely that a winning score will be less than 500 if every player is experienced.

I feel somewhat compelled to offer a rebuttal to two of your assertions: 1) that experience = high scores, and 2) that having "each of the losing artists [with] 4 cards [played] somehow indicates good gameplay.

Perhaps I'm reading your post wrong, but do you mean to say that the "losing artists" were artists for whom cards were played in a given round but did not place in the top 3? Or are you saying they place, but simply failed to place first in that round? If it's the former, then I would strongly disagree that this kind of activity is particularly conducive to generating a high aggregate score. If, however, it's the latter, then yes I think you would almost always see higher scores. Otherwise, it does little more than to move the pool of money around, and in those cases where the auctioneer buys his own painting and it fails to place, a great deal of money is getting sucked out of the game.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sean

IMO

1) High scores are not a direct consequence of experience, unlike efficiency games like Agricola. But a group of experienced players would tend to play in a more cut-throat style, leading to more cards being played, and thus a larger pool of money and higher scores.

2) No, having more cards played does not indicate good gameplay. It simply indicates that there is a group of experienced gamers who are each very close in skill, and thus play more cards to find ways to "cut one another's throat", e.g. trying to cause cards of certain artists to become worthless at the end of the round.

3) Sorry for being unclear. What I mean is that the top artist finishes with 5 cards (of course), and every other artist finishes with 4 cards. The result is that Krypto and Karl Gitter will be worth nothing. This can be an extremely deadly strategy. Imagine at the start of the last round, a few Krypto cards are played, the player who is leading at the moment bought 1 or 2 at high prices (due to accumlation of scores for Krypto from previous rounds, and leading player estimates at least a third-place finish for Krypto), then the rest of the players conspire against him by playing doubles of other artists in quick succession. The leading player may not (or may) be able to salvage the situation, leading him to suffer huge losses.

4) As a side point, buying your own painting is generally (though not always) a bad strategy. It very rarely happens in my group. Although on a few occasions, players have also implicitly conspired to refuse to buy a fixed-price card, thus causing the auctioneer to make a much smaller profit (or even a loss).

I've seen such implicit alliances (manifesting in many other different forms) emerge in many games to create highly tense and cut-throat scenarios. Chicago Express is another game that plays in a similar fashion (i.e. implicit alliances). I've found that MA is a game that is enjoyable only when you play with the right group of gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew of Mathematical Leanings

Modesto
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a score of 702 once, and seen 650+ a few times.

Typically for a 4 player game, I break it down like this for people I'm introducing to the game.

Sub-400: Sub-optimal play or just got royally screwed (sometimes both).
400-450: average score
450-500: Good score, sometimes will produce a victory
500-600: Great score, typically produces a victory
600+: excellent and rare score, typically produces lopsided victory with one or more player at the sub 400 level.

If the game ends with everyone under 450, you have too many people just pumping one-two artists . . . maybe to the point where a round ended without a 3rd place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that scale accords with my experience with this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.