Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rural Alberta Advantage - Hometowns - Possible top ten contender for my end of the year list. Good ol' fashioned indie rock from folks who, as advertised, are from rural Alberta.

Richard Swift - Ground Trouble Jaw EP - This made my list of Things That Annoyed Me. 5 songs, three of which already exist on the recently released LP. The new songs are nothing special, but not bad either.

Deleted Scenes - Birdseed Shirt - Another possible top tenner, though top 15 might be more realistic. Reminds me a little of the Dodos if they stood a little further from their microphones, except for the track Got God ("Got God, got bored, lost God, stayed bored got drunk, found God, once again, stayed drunk"), which is pure O'Death.

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular - Got curious after seeing their awesome video for The Youth. The rest of the album doesn't hold up as well, but a pleasing purchase nonetheless.

Peter, Bjorn & John - Living Thing - I have never heard the song they recorded that was apparently unavoidable for a year after it was on Gray's Anatomy or something. Instead, I got curious after seeing their Nothing To Worry About video on the same show as that MGMT video. It's kind of a snoozer, but in the rare times when I'm in the mood for pseudo club-electro-rock from Euro wimps by someone other than Air, this'll do.

The Starlight Mints - Change Remains - They seem to lose a little energy with each album. It's still a decent record, but nowhere near as fun as Build On Squares 2 LPs ago.

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest - My first Grizzly Bear record (although I have and love the Department of Eagles album). I can see why people are going crazy for this album and I certainly appreciate how good it is. At the same time, I don't have an emotional connection with it yet.

Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer - It's another Sunset Rubdown album. Same lack-of-emotional-connection comment as above.

Dinosaur Jr. - Farm - Never listened to these guys before, though I've read and promptly forgotten their chapter in Our Band Could Be Your Life. It's solid guitar rock, though I need to be in the right mood for it. Will make good background music for the summer.

Future of the Left - Travels With Myself and Another - Hot damn, that's what I'm talking about. Some seriously kick-ass post-hardcore* here. I'll admit, I only checked these guys out because of good reviews by both Pitchfork and AV club and I'm glad I did. So far it's my third favorite album of the year behind Dan Deacon and Floating Action.

*I'm not entirely sure what "post" in musical genres mean. I think in terms of post-punk and post-hardcore, it's what punk and hardcore bands sound like when they finally learn their instruments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I spent an hour in Best Buy last week to kill some time, and almost wound up with a bunch of stuff I didn't really need, like Chickenfoot. Instead, I winnowed my selections down to two:

Tori Amos' new one -- Dang. When did Tori go from punky piano player to adult contemporary? She's still good, sure, but until she records another "She's Your Cocaine," I'm still going with From the Choirgirl Hotel as her last real album (though the collection of covers had some good tunes).

Incubus' Monuments & Memories -- The idea of Incubus covering "Let's Go Crazy" is better imagined than actually heard. And the unreleased tracks all sound sort of the same. I should have known that releasing a greatest hits album was an indication that they were on a slow decline. If you have all the studio recordings, you don't need this.

I also managed to watch Iron Maiden's Somewhere Back in Time on TiVo last week, and thoroughly enjoyed it. My favorite parts of the concert were the way that they collected songs played from locations around the world (Japan, Argentina, Mexico, Canada, etc.), and that wherever they were, folks of all ages (and there was at least one 11-year old in the mix) not only rocked out, but KNEW THE WORDS. Amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
MGMT - Oracular SpectacularI had a hard time getting into this. Sold it.

Peter, Bjorn & John - Living Thing[/q] I love PB&J (the first two especially) and this album sucks. I skipped their last album, because I heard it was a stinker, but this one was supposed to be a return to form. I couldn't believe how bad they are now.

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest This is my second favorite record of the year.

Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer I'm really liking this, but it isn't their best (Shut Up I'm Dreaming).

Dinosaur Jr. - Farm You really need to check out Bug, You are Living All Over Me and Green Mind.

Future of the Left - Travels With Myself and Another I like McClusky, but one album is enough. Is this more of the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Future of the Left - Travels With Myself and Another I like McClusky, but one album is enough. Is this more of the same?

Couldn't tell you as this was my introduction to the band. Judging from what I've read about them, they didn't stray far from their formula for this record.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Dinosaur Jr. - Farm You really need to check out Bug, You are Living All Over Me and Green Mind.

Am I the only one that loves "Where You Been"? I have to say, "Farm" left me cold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
sisteray wrote:

Am I the only one that loves "Where You Been"? I have to say, "Farm" left me cold.

There was some stuff on Where You Been that I liked, but it was a precursor to the dreadfully boring stuff that Dinosaur Jr. would continue to put out. I haven't cared about them for years until Beyond brought me back into the fold. I'm hoping Farm is to my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I spent an hour in Best Buy last week to kill some time, and almost wound up with a bunch of stuff I didn't really need, like Chickenfoot. Instead, I winnowed my selections down to two:

Tori Amos' new one -- Dang. When did Tori go from punky piano player to adult contemporary? She's still good, sure, but until she records another "She's Your Cocaine," I'm still going with From the Choirgirl Hotel as her last real album (though the collection of covers had some good tunes).

Incubus' Monuments & Memories -- The idea of Incubus covering "Let's Go Crazy" is better imagined than actually heard. And the unreleased tracks all sound sort of the same. I should have known that releasing a greatest hits album was an indication that they were on a slow decline. If you have all the studio recordings, you don't need this.

I also managed to watch Iron Maiden's Somewhere Back in Time on TiVo last week, and thoroughly enjoyed it. My favorite parts of the concert were the way that they collected songs played from locations around the world (Japan, Argentina, Mexico, Canada, etc.), and that wherever they were, folks of all ages (and there was at least one 11-year old in the mix) not only rocked out, but KNEW THE WORDS. Amazing.

shake Ike??!! First Sex & the City, now Tori Amos??!! Turn in your gender identity card at once! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up that Floating Action record on your recommendation.

Don't fail me, Erik.

New to me in June: Music

BIG UPS:

Foreign Born - Person to Person - It's catchy and melodic -- a sing-a-log front porch indie rock record. I love a good summertime feel good record. This should be this year's Plants And Animals for me.

Woods - Songs of Shame - After spinning this a couple times without having it stick, I picked it up again this month and this suddenly became one of my favorite records this year. It's a low-fi psych-twee record with great little earworms that dig in deep without you noticing. My wife hates his voice. I can't deny that he is really whiny, but I like it.

Franco Battiato - Sulle corde di Aries - In my quest to find fantastic Italian 70s music I discovered this. Real whacked out and beautiful, a touch of early electronic, traces of minimalist and new classical, with a touch of prog rock to make this cool but not too much to make it embarrassing.

Lucio Battisti - Amore e non Amore - I love his 1974 masterpiece Anima Latina. While this certainly isn't as brilliant, it still is quite good. The first song, Dio Mio No is the kind of happy psych-out track that I've been wanting to find for years.

Asteroid No. 4 - These Flowers of Ours: A Treasury of Witchcraft and Devilry - There are few Ride fans that don't think that Carnival of Light led the band in the entirely wrong direction. Clearly, no one thinks it more than these guys as they basically made the next great Ride album.

Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer - While not the masterpiece that Shut Up I Am Dreaming is, it is a rewarding album for drama-starved fans. I especially adore "Apollo And The Buffalo And Anna Anna Anna Oh!"

A.C. Newman - Get Guilty - Nothing too complicated here, just catchy little pop songs. It isn't The Slow Wonder, but it is still a fine release. I love Young Atlantis.

April March - Chick Habit - I've been revisiting (I admit not new to me) April March in a big way. I HEART this EP.

Wanda Jackson - Wanda Jackson - I love Rockin' With Wanda, it is a brilliant early rockabilly record, she has sass and style. This is a little bit more of a straight forward old country record, but I'm enjoying it.

Big Dipper - Supercluster: The Big Dipper Anthology - Well, if you like The Embarrassment, you really owe it to yourself to pick this up. It is a long compilation, and like many comps I think it starts really strong and heads in a direction that I'd rather they'd not stuck with. You really hear where they are going by the end, but fortunately everything on this is still worthwhile. If you are into Jangle pop, check it out.

Songs: Ohia - Didn't It Rain
More melodic song structures and less of the Ani DiFranco with a penis. Perhaps the best thing I've heard them (him) do, though not my favorite (The Lioness).

ON THE FENCE (though I could end up really liking who knows):

The Horrors - Primary Colours
Churning goodness. Here's what happens if you make Shoegaze music if you cut out all of the Dream Pop.

Outrageous Cherry - Universal Malcontents - While the last two records before this never attained the brilliance that all their previous records achieved, they were still rewarding. I'm just not feeling this one.

BIG DOWNS:

Dear Nora - The New Year - I heard about these guys in an interview with The Pains of Being Pure of Heart (whom I adore). They were listed in their influences right next to Black Tambourine (whom I adore). Guess what? This sucks. An boring girl whining with a four track.

Autofant - Family - It is cool that anyone can put out an album. Suddenly we are hearing things that we never would have experienced before. Unfortunately that also means that you get to hear a rehearsal session from some chumps in a basement after they took smoked a bunch of pot and played with their new synthesizer. This is real amateur stuff. I get it, you want to do bad jazz with outdated equipment, it's a gimmick that should work, but for the bad jazz part. The packaging really threw me off as they have close ups of cool plug in synths, I figured that at worse, I'd get a tepid Sonic Boom record, nope, nothing that good.

Le Orme - Felona e Sorona - I've been really getting into 70s Italian stuff recently. I picked up their first record (Ad Gloriam) years ago and loved it, then picked up their second and was a little disappointed. Where their early stuff was great psych garage rock, they started to get a bit more prog and I was feeling let down. So because of my new kick I decided to see if they put out another great record. Most reviews said that this was their best release, and I found it used, how could I not pick it up. It is real paint by the numbers prog rock. Really boring and uninspired. Well, they do everything that they are supposed to, except write exciting songs. that settles it. I'll stick to their early garage psych rock, thank you.

Mark Kozelek - The Finally LP - I'm a Kozelek appologist, but it isn't enough to compensate for this boring covers record. Send in the Clowns? Really? The only thing rewarding is his Low cover. This is the kind of album that should only come out after someone dies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.