Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When a player places a tile in the mid-price or low-price car boxes, does he get to choose which mid-price box he uses and which low-price box he uses? To put it another way, does the player get to influence how many cars will sell at top dollar and how many will sell at the reduced price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the rules on Executive Decisions which explains why there is a high and low price for the medium and low market cars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The demand for mid-price cars applies to both mid-price boxes.

The demand for low-price cars applies to both low-price boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you both,

I understand the 2 price brackets for medium and low priced cars. (The grey disks reduce the price).

And I understand that the total in both boxes is the total number of cars of medium and low price that can be sold respectively.

I'm sure Im being a silly William, but I still don't quite understand: when I place my demand disk (say for medium priced cars) do I choose which price bracket? (ie normal or reduced?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
See this post:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3598825#3598825

specifically point #2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
genoan wrote:
Thank you both,

I understand the 2 price brackets for medium and low priced cars. (The grey disks reduce the price).

And I understand that the total in both boxes is the total number of cars of medium and low price that can be sold respectively.

I'm sure Im being a silly William, but I still don't quite understand: when I place my demand disk (say for medium priced cars) do I choose which price bracket? (ie normal or reduced?)

No you don't.

The total demand for medium priced cars is determined by all appropriate tiles. There are not separate tiles for "regular price" mediume cars and "discounted" medium cars. Then cars are sold back one at a time at the appropriate price and once the total number of medium cars are sold, you stop. Regardless of how many happen to be sold at regular price and how many happen to be sold at discounted price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have been ideal to have something like this for the mid- and low-priced cars:
| cars | cars |
| | |
----------------------------------------------------
| DEMAND TILES HERE |

But you can imagine that in your head
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, to clarify:

On page 8 of the rulebook there is a picture of the demand track. The middle price cars have 4 demand discs in them: a 5, 4, 4 and 3. Now I took this to mean 9 at the normal price, 7 at the reduced price. As such, my original question was to ascertain if the player gets to choose where to place his/her demand disc, ie normal price or low price. Now, if I read it right, 16 cars in total will be sold, but not necessarily the 9/7 split i thought. I took this to be the case originally, as the discs are placed in separate boxes. So in the example, it would theoretically possible to sell 16 cars all at full price?

I feel rather sheepish about asking again. Forgive my silliness, but can someone confirm that Ive got it right, or correct my misunderstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Correct. All 16 could be at regular price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
genoan wrote:
As such, my original question was to ascertain if the player gets to choose where to place his/her demand disc, ie normal price or low price.

No choosing ever, it seems to detail exactly what goes where and when from what I read at the end of page 7:

Quote:
In the first turn players will only have one demand tile each. These tiles should be placed in the mid-priced Sales box.

In the second turn each player will have two tiles. Of the two tiles that a player has the one with the higher value should be placed in the mid-priced Sales box. The lower value tile should be placed in the low-priced Sales box.

In the third and fourth turns the higher value tile should be placed in the low-priced boxes and the lower value tile should be placed in the mid-priced boxes. In the third and fourth turns one tile should be drawn from the bag and placed in the high-priced Sales box. In the fourth turn one tile should also be drawn from the bag and placed in the low-priced boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Snoozefest,

A picture paints a thousand words! Now I get it.

Thanks to all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial read through the rules confused me in this aspect as well. The example picture in the rules really makes you think that the tiles go in one or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dcorban,

Thanks, now I dont feel quite so silly.

Genoan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
genoan wrote:
dcorban,

Genoan

Don't ever feel silly about asking rules questions; that's what this site is here for. We always get them wrong and as Daniel says, the way it is presented in the rules (the picture) does cause some confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
genoan wrote:
dcorban,

Genoan

Don't ever feel silly about asking rules questions; that's what this site is here for. We always get them wrong and as Daniel says, the way it is presented in the rules (the picture) does cause some confusion.

Also -- and I don't know if other gaming groups do this -- but the people I play with have a tradition of finding out after we've played a new game once, twice, sometimes even three times, that we've missed or misplayed a rule. It's kind of like an initiation ritual for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
It would have been ideal to have something like this for the mid- and low-priced cars

A handling option I quite like is
- Postpone moving the distributors back into the large boxes until end of turn (still do the removal and loss cubes).
- Put the demand tiles in the distributor boxes.

Some people I was teaching the game to did this (the second part) and I was going to correct them, but then thought why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
It would have been ideal to have something like this for the mid- and low-priced cars:
| cars | cars |
| | |
----------------------------------------------------
| DEMAND TILES HERE |

But you can imagine that in your head

Dammit, I believe I played wrong last weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, is there *any* reason why they go into such detail in what I quoted above about placing your low tile here and your high tile there?

This topic makes it sound totally extraneous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
So, is there *any* reason why they go into such detail in what I quoted above about placing your low tile here and your high tile there?

This topic makes it sound totally extraneous.

Yes! Because there are 2 such boxes, and the low/high tile each person draws will go into one or the other group:
| mid-grade cars | mid-grade cars | low-grade cars | low-grade cars |
| | | | |
----------------------------------------------------------------------
| MID-GRADE DEMAND TILES HERE | LOW-GRADE DEMAND TILES HERE |
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Banin
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
so the only use for the low price box is to sell the cars from the grey disc factories? can i put a grey disc on a high level factory, only to sell extra cars, since the dont have low price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banin wrote:
so the only use for the low price box is to sell the cars from the grey disc factories? can i put a grey disc on a high level factory, only to sell extra cars, since the dont have low price?

No, you cannot. Reduced price markers can only go on cars where a reduced price is available (i.e., mid- and low-priced cars).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
No, you cannot. Reduced price markers can only go on cars where a reduced price is available (i.e., mid- and low-priced cars).

When the game was being explained, I just assumed that discounting moved you down one space, so a luxury car with discount would go into the $150 space. I also thought that two grey discount tokens moved you down two slots on that track. This was all explained before we started, but I liked my way better. It was after playing this game twice that I found it had gone through rather little development. I was not surprised. This game could use some work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
snoozefest wrote:
It would have been ideal to have something like this for the mid- and low-priced cars

A handling option I quite like is
- Postpone moving the distributors back into the large boxes until end of turn (still do the removal and loss cubes).
- Put the demand tiles in the distributor boxes.

Some people I was teaching the game to did this (the second part) and I was going to correct them, but then thought why?

That's an excellent way of managing the tiles to this game.

Great idea! For one, it's "cleaner" because the tiles won't intefere with the cars being sold (also taking space inside the value boxes). Secondly, it removes the slight confusion about TOTAL DEMAND (for both boxes). Lastly, it makes logical sense for the demand to be visually seen in the showrooms :-)

Also, by waiting to move the salesmen distributors until the very end (but still taking loss cubes and removing inefficient salesmen) makes things cleaner and gives a greater purpose to even having an "end of phase" action to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.