Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

B-17: Queen of the Skies» Forums » General

Subject: How to run a multi-plane mission? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
I want to run a mission consisting of nine planes flying to the same target together. This will represent one plane from each of the three squadron positions (High, Middle, Low) and each of positions within the squadron (Lead, Middle, Tail).

Here's what I have so far:

1) For weather rolls, I will have one roll over the target and one roll for landing. If there are planes out of formation that hit the target late or land early/late, I will just roll when the first plane hits the target or lands and stick with that.

2) I will roll for the fighter coverage quality (Good, Fair, Poor) per zone and stick with that for all planes that are in formation. Each plane out of formation will get it's own figher coverage quality roll.

Once the roll is established for the zone, I will make the M-4 Fighter Cover Defense roll per wave per plane. So, two planes in Zone 4 will both have the same quality of coverage (ex. Good) but Wave 1 for Plane 1 could be 3(2) and Wave 1 for Plane 2 could be 1(0).

3) Mission Bonus/Ace Status - I don't know what to do for this. I am planning on running a mission to La Rochelle (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment) which only shows up on the 11-25 mission table. However, I'm sure that not all crew members would be on 11+ missions. Similarly, there would probably be some ace gunners amongst the crews.

I guess I could randomly generate a number from 1 to 25 to indicate what mission each crewmember is on. I could also assign a percentage chance that a gunner is an ace but if I did, that should probably tie into his mission number as well.

I'm open to comments/concerns/suggestions.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the next phase of the addiction.

Instead of flying 9 planes spread out over three squadrons and beginning at a Mission 11 target or whatever, start with a single squadron say of ten planes, and fly 6 on a mission at a time in one box. Begin at Mission 1 and proceed.

Resolve all 6 planes in one zone before moving on to the next zone. This allows moving a plane into the lead or inheriting the tail end charlie position should one of those planes fall or lag behind.

Fighter cover (poor, fine, good) and flak (light, med, heavy) are rolled once for the squadron as it enters the zone. Any stragglers get their own rolls.

You can either assume that replacement planes and personnel are freely available when needed or set up some kind of system using die rolls to replace/add aircraft and or personnel.

I gamed a 10 mission campaign over the Xmas holiday last year before I found BGG. Haven't flown any more missions yet in it. I wanted to go back and write up some squadron reports for here, but just don't have the incentive to try and rebuild the missions from my records (minimal kept). I think I'll just start over and fly new missions, the story telling will be fresher then.

As for aces and bonuses etc... After 10 missions no one in that squadron has bonuses (due to rotation of aircraft through the missions) nor have they made ace yet, well technically I did have one engineer make ace early in the 8th mission but was KIA with the crew later in the mission from a explosion in the bomb bay.

Whether you only go for one mission or start a multi-plane campaign it will be fun.

Look forward to a writeup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kjamma4,

Quite an ambitious endeavor! You will have some fun playing this campaign. I did a similar campaign a few years ago using the B-24 variant. You will be replacing planes on a regular basis so naming crewmembers could become a full time job. I will place my comments after each tick point below.

kjamma4 wrote:
I want to run a mission consisting of nine planes flying to the same target together. This will represent one plane from each of the three squadron positions (High, Middle, Low) and each of positions within the squadron (Lead, Middle, Tail).

I’m with Dave on this one, I would run a single squadron of 6 to 9 planes and rotate their squadron position each mission. This way you are running a single Bombardment Squadron. Doing the layout you described could be very time consuming. You will be adding 12 Me109s per wave due to the tail and lead rules. If you roll a wave with 5 enemy fighters and have no friendly fighter cover to drive them off that is 57 E/A. Not to say this didn’t happen during WW2 but you could roll this a few time on you trip and then your task will be a daunting one.

kjamma4 wrote:
Here's what I have so far:

1) For weather rolls, I will have one roll over the target and one roll for landing...

This sound good, I would keep this as is.

kjamma4 wrote:
2) I will roll for the fighter coverage quality (Good, Fair, Poor) per zone and stick with that for all planes that are in formation. Each plane out of formation will get it's own fighter coverage quality roll.

I believe the rules state that even the planes out of formation use the fighter cover assigned for the zone. I might modify this rule to just lower the quality of friendly fighters by one instead. For instance Good becomes Fair, Fair becomes Poor and Poor becomes None. This represents the majority of the fighters staying with the main bomber group and a few brave lads going to protest the lame duck.

kjamma4 wrote:
Once the roll is established for the zone, I will make the M-4 Fighter Cover Defense roll per wave per plane. So, two planes in Zone 4 will both have the same quality of coverage (ex. Good) but Wave 1 for Plane 1 could be 3(2) and Wave 1 for Plane 2 could be 1(0).

I like this, it would make the situation I outlined in my first comment statistically impossible. Plus, this is more realistic. Even if a squadron was picked out by the Luftwaffe for destruction not every bomber had the same number of fighters attack it.

kjamma4 wrote:
3) Mission Bonus/Ace Status - I don't know what to do for this. I am planning on running a mission to La Rochelle (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment), which only shows up, on the 11-25 mission table. However, I'm sure that not all crewmembers would be on 11+ missions. Similarly, there would probably be some ace gunners amongst the crews.

Even though you are flying a mission from the 11-25 mission cart does not mean that there are new aircraft flying on it. But you are correct in setting up a die roll for determining what mission every one is on if you are just flying one mission to see the outcome. If this is a beginning of a campaign I would look at it as a new Group to the theater and start most of the crews at zero, with the exception of the lead planes as described below.

Here is what you can do for this situation. Assuming you keep the layout you described above, basically you will be flying a pared down bombardment Group with three Bomber Squadrons aloft. The Group would have been lead by a Major or a Colonel so he would have the +1 landing mod. If you place a Colonel in the left then put a Major in the right seat. That way you get the +1 even if one is incapacitated. This plane would be in the Middle squadron. In the lead plane I would place a Captain in both the bombardier and navigator seat. These two men would both get their respective 11 mission bonuses too.

Now the other lead aircraft in the two other squadrons could be Captains who would have the 11+ mission bonuses. May be roll a D6 and on a 1-4 you get a Captain and on a 5,6 you get a Lieutenant for you pilot. If you roll up a Captain then you will have a Lieutenant in the right seat. You could roll for Captains for the High and Low squadrons lead Bombardiers and Navigators using a 1,2 you get a Captain and 3-6 he is a Lieutenant.

Just remember there will only be one Colonel in the Group, in reality only one in the air for the mission. Similarly there would only be one Major in the Group. I’m not real versed on the historical make up of all the crews in the air war over Europe, but this is what I have gleaned from my reading and playing in most of the online campaigns at some point over the past four years.

kjamma4 wrote:
I guess I could randomly generate a number from 1 to 25 to indicate what mission each crewmember is on. I could also assign a percentage chance that a gunner is an ace but if I did, that should probably tie into his mission number as well.

As for Aces I would keep them to a minimum. As Dave pointed out they are not all that common and the will eventually be eliminated due to combat injury.

kjamma4 wrote:
I'm open to comments/concerns/suggestions.

Thanks.

Good luck with your mission (campaign) you will have fun!
Jim P cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
StocktonDave wrote:
Welcome to the next phase of the addiction.

SO TRUE, SO TRUE

Jim P cool

PS Good Points Dave!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:

Here is what you can do for this situation.

I took your advice regarding the status of the crews. The Lead bomber in the middle squadron has a pilot, co-pilot, bombadier, and navigator all on their 11+ mission. I did not roll randomly for them as I assumed they would all be veterans if they were leading the group.

Rolling randomly, this exact situation happened for the High Lead and Low Lead. I don't know if that is historically accurate, but I always let the dice fall where they may.

jasta6 wrote:

As for Aces I would keep them to a minimum. As Dave pointed out they are not all that common and the will eventually be eliminated due to combat injury.

Here's what I did about this: I gave every non pilot and non co-pilot crew member a base 1% chance to be an ace. For the dedicated gunners (ball turret, port waist, starboard waist, and tail), I gave them another 1% chance. Then, for the twin guns, I gave an additional 1% chance. So, the bombadiers, navigators, and radio operators had a 1% chance to be aces. The engineers, port & starboard gunners had a 2% chance, and the ball and tail gunners had a 3% chance. I also ruled that if you came close to making your roll, you had one kill for every % you missed your roll.

The radio operator on the High Tail plane started with 3 kills.

The port waist gunner on the Mid Lead plane started with 4 kills.

The tail gunner on the Low Tail plane is the only ace with 5 kills (I was extremely pleased with that roll)

I have been doing one zone at a time and completing the entire zone for all nine planes. I am currently working on the fourth plane in Zone 4!

[EDIT: thumbsup and for your help]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kjamma4,

Quote:
I took your advice regarding the status of the crews.

This is quite historical as they usally put the most experiance airmen in the lead plane. The Mission lead would get the higher ranked and most qualifed people placed aboard. The Pilots of that perticular plane would take the right seat and the copilot would usally take the tail gun to observe how the the bomber stream was holding together.

I like your set up here.

Quote:
Here's what I did about this...

I like this system. It give a slight chance for gunners to be aces and I really like the nearmiss rule for partial ace status. This way you may have a few crewmembers turn into aces durring the mission. And going to "La Rochelle" you might just do that.

Good luck and I cant wait to read your write ups

Jim P cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.