Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Shields
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played a match where i chose to take merchant trolls at the end of a game for the vp's on the race choice plus i figured i'd get +1 coin for every region i occupied at turns end.

the rule book states: Collect 1 bonus victory coin for any Region you occupy at turn's end.

One of my opponent's argued that it would be a total of 1 victory coin where i think it is 1 per Troll region. his problem is with the word ANY and arguably it would have been more clear had the rules said EACH.... so some official ruling would be good so i can either gloat or apologize since the game was close. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely each. Merchant would be completely useless otherwise, as it only gives you two tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While using any instead of each is an unfortunate choice (translation error, perhaps) it clearly means each. The example of play on Page 5 shows Merchant Skeletons scoring a bonus for each area occupied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, merchant is pretty powerful as is, but would be horrible that way. Alchemist gives you 2 points a turn and more guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shields
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool... i brought up the same thing about the 2 race tiles you get with the merchants in combo with his take on the power and tried to impress upon him the inbalance.... so thanks for your input, pretty much backed up my argument....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a situation where common sense should have prevailed. Giving someone only 2 race tokens for a power that only gives you +1 vp total makes no sense. Most people can see that even Alchemist and Wealthy would be totally overpowered if that interpretation of Merchant's power were true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markos Evlogimenos
Cyprus
Limassol
Limassol
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Please clarify this:
Merchant -> each region you occupy
Which of the following is true?
1) Total regions his active race has
2) Total region his active race has conquered
shake

In the rules with the merchant skeletons it shows +1 for every region he conquered (option 2) but says occupied.
In my understanding occupied means (option 1).

In the forums people seem to agree that it's option 1.

If we get option 1. Merchant is way better than Pillage cause not only you will get points for anything you conquered you will also get points for anything you already have!

If its option 2 it would be similar to Pillage but you get points for every region u conquere not only for the non-empty ones... In this case Merchant makes sense. Because it gives only 2 extra troops instead of 5 that pillage gives.

So I'm starting to believe that the correct option should be 2 and not 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
kamimark wrote:
Please clarify this:
Merchant -> each region you occupy
Which of the following is true?
1) Total regions his active race has
2) Total region his active race has conquered
shake

In the rules with the merchant skeletons it shows +1 for every region he conquered (option 2) but says occupied.
In my understanding occupied means (option 1).

In the forums people seem to agree that it's option 1.

If we get option 1. Merchant is way better than Pillage cause not only you will get points for anything you conquered you will also get points for anything you already have!

If its option 2 it would be similar to Pillage but you get points for every region u conquere not only for the non-empty ones... In this case Merchant makes sense. Because it gives only 2 extra troops instead of 5 that pillage gives.

So I'm starting to believe that the correct option should be 2 and not 1.

Absolutely and totally Option 1. There is no language that states it is narrowed to what is conquered that round like the skeletons or orcs or pillaging.

---
How in the world does the OP's opponent even gather that "1 point for any region" would mean only 1 total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
allan wood
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
i played a game last night and on one of the final turns, we had merchant giants, and my friend wanted to use that and argued that it counted for the indeclined races. stating the rules say you get a bonus token for every occupied space you have. regardless of a race being active or not.

i believe that counting merchant with your indeclined race would be stupid overpowered and should only count for active race only.

but rules really dont go into much detail on it and would like a valued opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knockonwood wrote:
i played a game last night and on one of the final turns, we had merchant giants, and my friend wanted to use that and argued that it counted for the indeclined races. stating the rules say you get a bonus token for every occupied space you have. regardless of a race being active or not.

i believe that counting merchant with your indeclined race would be stupid overpowered and should only count for active race only.

but rules really dont go into much detail on it and would like a valued opinion.

When a Merchant race goes into decline the Merchant power goes away so it can't apply to an in-decline race, only an active race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
knockonwood wrote:

When a Merchant race goes into decline the Merchant power goes away so it can't apply to an in-decline race, only an active race.

No, he's saying Active Merchants claimed In Decline income.

Which wouldn't happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
knockonwood wrote:

Page 10 of the rule book under the heading "Special Powers" before it dives into each ability...

Quote:
"...In the description of Special Powers that follow, when we use the term "you" or "your", we mean the Race tokens of your race associated with this Special Power. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, this usually excludes any token In Decline from your earlier race..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really as simple as looking at which race the Merchant power was attached to. This question is not just specific to Merchant. Players forget the obvious so often--if I have Merchant Giants, then it's the Giants who have the Merchant ability. That's it. The declined race I had before had its own ability. Any power only ever works in conjunction with the race to which it is attached. As I've stated many many times on these forums:
The only thing your two races share in common is a bank account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.