Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H. S.
Germany
Nidderau
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question concerning commanding bots - I believe it is a free action that can be taken by a player additionally to his normal action.

Now, lets make an example: player A needs to do his action after the action of the bot. As such, he can not command the bot himself before his own action, as the action of the bot would finish his own action. Consequently, player B has to act before him only to command the bot for player A. Is this correct?

Next question: does commanding bots require line of sight to them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're overthinking it.

Bots are just there to fill in for a lack of players to fill vital roles. Personally, I play that as long as there is a concious player aboard the ship, then the bots act like additional players. Any player can control them, but since the players are all part of the same crew with the same objective, there shouldn't be any real conflict.

I don't consider commanding a bot to be an action at all. My justification is that the ship's communication system allows orders to be given from anywhere and that bots, despite their simple nature, are not idiots and will carry out their tasks with optimal efficiency on their own.

In other words, I treat bots exactly like players. Except that they aren't players, don't have HP, don't have all the abilities of players, and if all the players are rendered unconscious, the bots stop functioning.

It would be impossible to do much of anything with bots if LOS was required to command them. How could a pilot command an engineering bot to pump the engines from the helm, for example?

Bots are there to help fill out the crew when there aren't enough players. They're simplified NPCs to keep bookkeeping from getting too complex, and if all the players are incapacitated, the bots are useless. But in all other ways, I just treat them as players controlled by the consensus of the human players of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. S.
Germany
Nidderau
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what I tried once, and it works fine. But the idea that a certain player (or the captain of the ship!) provided for some interesting player dilemmas in my last game. Of course it would work also fine without this special challenge of determining the right order for the bots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest that if all the players were unconscious, 'bots would at the very least try to revive the crew --Science 'bots with their built in med-kits would seem to have that as a hard wired command in their AI.

And other 'bots would have contingency protocols built into their systems that would require them to do what is necessary to extricate the ship from danger. It then becomes a race to see if a crew member can be revived in enough time to take over command of the ship before the 'bots abort mission.

Just my .02 credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that's a bad idea at all. Especially if there are only one or two player crew members on the ship, since it's easier to end up incapacitated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that having a default command, like the science bot treating downed crewmember, would be an upgrade, not a default function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would depend on the level of difficulty you feel like imposing. But either way seems reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rule is that bots need to be told what to do and that tellign a bot to do doesn't even require an action on the part of a conscious player.

There is the bot upgrade "AI" from Pax Galacticum that allows a bot to function in the absence of direct commands.

Jeff Siadek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair Andrecheck
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I just picked up the game... Having read these... It needs to be commanded, but I don't see it as just turning off cause there is no one left, but, without AI it will just do what it was last told... So if you we're last alive and told it to Boost Engine! And not save Joe... When you KO and Joe isn't saved and your O2 runs out... Well... Lets just hope your clone "learns"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.