Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules Addition #1

Earlier today I was writing out the answer to this gentleman's question (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/419700), when it suddenly struck me. I could see a way someone might be able to subvert the intent of both the variant set up scenarios and historical German front allocations.

As it is, there is nothing preventing a German player from simply pulling out all units from the EFT box, thus undoing the very reason to play with historical variants in the first place.

Fortunately, it can easily be solved before any rules lawyers abuse this oversight. Add the following final paragraphs to each section indicated below:

15.4.1 PLAYING ONLY TO THE LAST MAN!
Only five (5) BPs worth of units may be removed from the EFT box per Season.

17.4.2 RANDOM SET UP CAMPAIGN — Variant Official Military Plans
Any forces in the EFT box at start must remain there throughout 1914. In 1915 and thereafter, up to five (5) BPs worth of units may be transferred from the EFT box per Season, as usual.

17.12.2 OPTIONAL GERMAN WEST FRONT “REINFORCEMENTS”
The units placed in the EFT box must remain there until released in Turns 7 and 8.

30 Juin 2009
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the change. I wonder if there should be a Western Front Transfer box also in TTLM!, and you only score VPs if the units are there. Because in the joint game, it takes 3 moves to get a unit from one front to the other (western map -> EFT box -> WFT box -> eastern map) while with TTLM! alone, you get those VPs once they move into the EFT box.

Also, should there also be a complementary rule saying you can't transfer more than 5 BPs worth of units to the EFT box per Season as well? Or maybe transfer 5 BPs total? I'm reminded of the note made in the rules how the EFT box is not to be used a Strategic Reserves! card. But say if the Germany player keeps 5 BPs in the EFT. During his impulse, he plays some Offensive card to move them to any area, and he could replenish the EFT with 5 BPs pulled from elsewhere on the map over the course of the season. So effectively he has a 2-impulse Strategic Reserves!, though capped at 5 BPs per season. Seems a bit more flexible than the Entente strategic movement, which is limited to their supply sources. But maybe this was intended? You know more about how troop movement were historically carried out.

Sorry for all the rules lawyer-y gaming.

By the by, I've started making a Cyberboard module of your game. I don't have a printer, so this is how I play. Is that okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I like the change. I wonder if there should be a Western Front Transfer box also in TTLM!, and you only score VPs if the units are there. Because in the joint game, it takes 3 moves to get a unit from one front to the other (western map -> EFT box -> WFT box -> eastern map) while with TTLM! alone, you get those VPs once they move into the EFT box.

Originally, AAC! was to have been released within a year of TTLM! I still have hopes that I will be able to make AAC! somewhere down the line, which is why I kept the EFT box. Rusty told me that the EFT box would cause endless headaches, so I knew what I was in for.

Imagine that AAC! was in existence and you're playing both games at once. Here is how the transfer would happen:
TTLM! PT1 = western map -> EFT box
AAC! PT1 = EFT box -> WFT box
AAC! PT2 = WFT box -> eastern map

So as you can see it's actually a two player turn affair if you burn an offensive or pass move on the eastern front.

Quote:
Also, should there also be a complementary rule saying you can't transfer more than 5 BPs worth of units to the EFT box per Season as well?

I have never seen someone toss more than 5 BPs per Season into the EFT box. If a German player is so flush with units that he can even imagine doing such a thing, the war is already over. I see no need for a limit.

Quote:
Or maybe transfer 5 BPs total?

This would conflict with variant set ups where 25 BPs of units start in the EFT box, so no.

Quote:
I'm reminded of the note made in the rules how the EFT box is not to be used a Strategic Reserves! card. But say if the Germany player keeps 5 BPs in the EFT. During his impulse, he plays some Offensive card to move them to any area, and he could replenish the EFT with 5 BPs pulled from elsewhere on the map over the course of the season. So effectively he has a 2-impulse Strategic Reserves!, though capped at 5 BPs per season. Seems a bit more flexible than the Entente strategic movement, which is limited to their supply sources. But maybe this was intended?

Not 2 impulses, but rather 2 Seasonal turns. That's acceptable and not nearly as flexible as the Entente (who can do it in a single player turn).

Again, if you feel that you are so flush with units that you can maintain a grand strategic reserve like that cycling it back and forth, well you're probably well on the way to winning decisively anyway.

Quote:
Sorry for all the rules lawyer-y gaming.

That's OK. I tried to write airtight rules and clearly have not succeeded. One thing I'd like to do with this open source design, if at all possible, is to keep the rules (especially additions) to a minimum. Occam's Razor is my guide and so if it ain't broke, I don't want to add more rules.

I hope you understand.

Quote:
By the by, I've started making a Cyberboard module of your game. I don't have a printer, so this is how I play. Is that okay?

Totally. Just so long as you make it available to everyone who wants it. Oh, and please be sure to mention Christophe, Arnauld, and myself. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Niemand wrote:
Totally. Just so long as you make it available to everyone who wants it. Oh, and please be sure to mention Christophe, Arnauld, and myself. Thanks!

Of course! I'll upload it to BGG when I'm done. Getting all the counters is taking some time though.

There might be a typo: PlAid1_V1.pdf, page 2, Game Events, Summer 1916: I think it should read "UK 5th Army appears as reinforcement."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Figueras

Barcelona
Catalonia
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
fusag wrote:
There might be a typo: PlAid1_V1.pdf, page 2, Game Events, Summer 1916: I think it should read "UK 5th Army appears as reinforcement."

Yep! I noticed it, too, but I forgot to post it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Good catch!

I'll keep a file of typos so that they will be corrected in the next version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.