• [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not surprising considering where Age of Steam is ranked. The only question is does this top out just above it, or below it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be very suprised if Steam didn't make the top 20. The rate of its rise has been phenomenal but it will slow down now as I am sure there will be multiple 'anti shill' ratings just to make sure it doesn't get ahead of particualr favourite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hammy wrote:
I would be very suprised if Steam didn't make the top 20. The rate of its rise has been phenomenal but it will slow down now as I am sure there will be multiple 'anti shill' ratings just to make sure it doesn't get ahead of particualr favourite games.

Not only that, but a lot of people will have to really like it. If I had a quarter for every game that was said to "make the top 20"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammy wrote:
The rate of its rise has been phenomenal but it will slow down now as I am sure there will be multiple 'anti shill' ratings just to make sure it doesn't get ahead of particualr favourite games.

Most likely the Age of Steam diehards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oh, and my guess will be... Somewhere around top 50. There are too many non-trainers out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully, it will replace Dominion. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Stanley
United States
Nacogdoches
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
Hammy wrote:
The rate of its rise has been phenomenal but it will slow down now as I am sure there will be multiple 'anti shill' ratings just to make sure it doesn't get ahead of particualr favourite games.

Most likely the Age of Steam diehards.

I'm pretty sure, that if the die-hards are like me, they consider this to be the true follow-up to Age of Steam and would like to see it succeed. I know that AoS is my favorite game, and I hope this one does really well, and I would be ok if it went above AoS in the rankings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
flabber23 wrote:
I'm pretty sure, that if the die-hards are like me, they consider this to be the true follow-up to Age of Steam and would like to see it succeed. I know that AoS is my favorite game, and I hope this one does really well, and ..

I would think this means you're a veteran, but not a die-hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
flabber23 wrote:
I'm pretty sure, that if the die-hards are like me, they consider this to be the true follow-up to Age of Steam and would like to see it succeed.

I'm not sure if I qualify as a die-hard. I expect many think I do.

Quote:
I know that AoS is my favorite game, and I hope this one does really well, and I would be ok if it went above AoS in the rankings.

I'm less generous to Steam as a game and to Steam's future. While I don't want it to fail, I've also little interest in helping it succeed. Much like the sad situation of Small World vs Vinci, I view Steam as a poor and crippled AoS expansion which detracts more from the parent game than it adds, and encourages a mickey-moused approach to gaming that I abhor. That said, I also expect that many people will enjoy Steam (and Small World), that it will better suit their preferences, and for some it even will introduce them to the genre, possibly even introducing new people to gaming in general etc etc etc, all of which is a Good and Admirable Thing -- there is perhaps some silver lining -- but I still don't like it. So I'm left, not wanting to help, not really wanting to hinder, kind of wishing the situation didn't exist, realising it does exist and there's nothing I can do about that, and still interested in the design and how it is perceived and developed, even with its shortcomings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually surprised at the ratings. There are very few ratings below an 8, and only 2 people rated it a 1. I would have thought that there would be a) more shill voters trying to bring it down and b) more people who kind of like the game, but don't think it's amazing.

There is a very uneven distribution of votes which I suspect will even out in the future. I've been noticing a lot of meteoric rises to the top 20 recently, but I think as hype dies down, ratings are reassessed and games settle in to a more stable position.

That being said, I still wouldn't be surprised if it cracked the top 20 without breaking a sweat - almost regardless of whether or not it's any good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Leveille
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam, Age Of Steam, Railroad Tycoon, Rails of the World.

It's all good and it's all good for us.

The standard Steam game doesn't change the core game any more than some of the expansion maps do. I like that I can take or leave the rules changes, bits changes and maps as I see fit.

Heck, I thought the little plastic trains in the latest release of AoS were far more blasphemous then the rule tweaks in Steam

To each their own. I plan on playing them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
I'm actually surprised at the ratings. There are very few ratings below an 8, and only 2 people rated it a 1. I would have thought that there would be a) more shill voters trying to bring it down and b) more people who kind of like the game, but don't think it's amazing.

My guess is that so far, most of the people who have rated it were the folks who preordered and were predisposed to like it. I'm absolutely loving it, but I expected to. Once its been out for a few weeks and more people start playing it at game days and stuff, I'm sure it will find its way to folks that might feel more middle-of-the-road about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Since AoS was out of print for a good while, how did it stay high in the ratings for so long? (It's fallen since I last looked - but it was holding it's own for quite some time, long after it went out of print.)

Does the ranking algorithm weigh 'recent' and 'old' reviews relatively equally, or were _lots_ of people continuing to review it highly? (That would be surprising, just given the limited availability.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No weighting on age that I'm aware of. I know some have requested it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting to read the comments that go with the (few) low ratings. One person clearly feels that the world has enough railway games, and another is throwing a temper tantrum because people are rating a game that hasn't been released yet. Except, of course, it has been now, so he just looks like the child in his avatar. Then there are a couple of Winsome cronies who I suspect meant to rate the game 6 or 7 based on the BGG scale, but simply can't bring themselves to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowengrin wrote:
Where will it top out at?

13th

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
The early ratings for Steam frankly have surprised me. I thought the fans of AoS (and there's a ton of them) would view this as a watered-down version of their favorite and push the ratings down. But so far, the average rating is sky-high: over 8.5 after 300 ratings! That's easily the highest rated non-expansion on the Geek with over 300 ratings. Obviously, the overall rating will start to tumble once more people play it, but that's still a hell of a start. Given that this is from Mayfair and therefore the coverage should be extensive, I'd say breaking into the top 20 is a given and making the top 10 isn't out of the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Power Grid is still #3. I would expect Steam to be closely ranked, if there were any justice in this world... meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, let`s see how this develops until - let´say, my birthday.

On June 20th, the Geeklist "Lookin` out for a new #1 ?" started (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43575) and I kept track of the current rank. I will replace this graph daily and we can see what happens.
Edit: 2nd graph now, with comparing graph of "Le Havre" (see next comment) when hitting the top 200.
Steam reaches #69 with 353 ratings, 550 plays.
Le Havre had reached # 70 with 481 ratings and 1090 plays and #68 with 494 ratings and 1104 plays.
Considering how the ranks are calculated, it had a worse average rating by then than Steam has right now. It is still the only full game (no expansion) with over 300 votes and an average above 8.4.
Where will it end?
Edit 4th of July: Oops - the curve bends ...
Edit 5th of july: and up gain. Not too many people here on the 4th of July to rate the game, I guess. Independence Day, correct?
Edit 8th of July: First "flat" - and at the "same day" when "Le Havre" had its first "flat" - nice coincidence (indicated with a light grey area).

EDIT: To be continued here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3665256
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albatros
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
Well, let`s see how this develops for - let´say, my birthday.
On June 20th, the Geeklist "Lookin` out for a new #1 ?" started (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43575) and I kept track of the current rank. I will replace this graph daily and we can see what happens.

Nice graph. We'll see how Steam does compared to something like Le Havre in it's Stats Watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albatros
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Edit: 2nd graph now, with comparing graph of "Le Havre" (see next comment) when hitting the top 200.

Interesting comparison. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albatros
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Edit 5th of july: and up gain. Not too many people here on the 4th of July to rate the game, I guess. Independence Day, correct?

But maybe a lot played it on their day off because now it's about to break into the top fifty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.