Popular Tags: [View All]
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's more info on the expansion: Uwe Rosenberg has recorded an explanation about the game.

http://cliquenabend.de/index.php?page=news&d=1246184217

Of course it's in German. A full translation is too much work, but here is a summary:

0:00 "Hi I'm Uwe Rosenberg, author of Agricola, Le Havre, Bohnanza."

0:30 "The new expansion is called Moorbauern ("Moor Farmers"). Wine farmers, Mountain farmers, let's see what else we can come up with."

0:50 "I'm from Ostfriesland, where the moor was settled by farmers.

1:45 "There is even a moor museum in Ostfriesland."

1:55 "What are the changes in the expansion?" "There aren't any." "...?" "There are only additional rules."

2:10 "First change: every one gets a start card, that shows how to set up the wood and moor tiles on your board."

2:45 "Additional actions are not on the board, but on cards. 7 new actions, distributed on a number of cards."

3:05 "They are on two cards in the 3-player game; the same 7 actions are on 4 cards in the 5-player game."

3:30 "For example the action Torfstechen, "produce peat". Take a moor card, and remove it from the game, for 3 fuel."

4:00 "In every harvest, you now also need 1 fuel for each room in your house."

4:35 "In each turn, you have to consider if you want to take an action with a family member, or take a card to perform one of the actions on it. In that case, you keep your family members."

5:00 "The same card can be used by 1 other player in the same round. The second player pays 2 food. Then it is turned face down."

5:30 "There are two actions for the forest on your board: cut wood (2 wood for a forest tile)"

6:15 "Or burn the forest down: replace a forest tile with a ploughed field."

6:30 "New fields must border the old ones, as before."

6:50 "There is a new kind of animal: horses. The horseeples aren't ready yet. This is the raw material for them "

7:00 "You get horses with the new action Horse Market."

7:20 "Horses are treated like the other animals. Except that each horse is a point (10 horses = 10 points), and they cannot be slaughtered with the standard major improvements."

7:55 "There are new major improvements below the old ones, like the Kochnische ("kitchenette"), where you can turn your horses..." "...into sausages." "No, 12 year olds should enjoy the game too. You can exchange them for food."

8:35 "There are 3 other new actions. The first is the Labour Market. You just get two food."

8:55 "There are 14 new major improvements. You can build them with the Schwarzarbeit (Illicit Work) action, for an additional cost of 1 fuel and 1 food."

9:50 "There are 110 new minor improvements."

10:05 "We play on the family boards, where you get food instead of a minor improvement on the start player action. So there is a new additional action Schwarzmarkt (Black Market) to buy minor improvements."

10:30 "There are 118 new minor improvements, all of them involving the new game elements. None of them could be used in the base game."

11:00 "You can play the game on 3 levels. Family version: no hand cards. Second level: with minor improvements. Third level: use the occupations from the base game. The second level is comparable in weight with the base game."

12:30 "If you renovate, you pay less fuel in the harvest."

13:00 "If you cannot pay fuel, you become ill. Put a bed-marker on a person. It can only use the action card Krankenstation ("Hospital"), to discard the bed-marker. You also get 1 food. Several family members can use the hospital at the same time." "So not exactly like the standard rules then?" "....Yes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
No, 12 year olds should enjoy the game too. You can exchange them for food.

I can't tell if that is a translation hiccup or a joke from Uwe. Funny either way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Quote:

I can't tell if that is a translation hiccup or a joke from Uwe. Funny either way...

It's about horses. Uwe fears that his fanclub of 12-years-old girls will buy Bella Sara cards instead if their beloved horses are eaten.
So, alternatively, you can (with a kitchenette) "have your horse win a blue ribbon at the County Fair, gaining 1 food, and then retiring".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanno wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
Quote:

It's about horses. Uwe fears that his fanclub of 12-years-old girls will buy Bella Sara cards instead if their beloved horses are eaten.
So, alternatively, you can (with a kitchenette) "have your horse win a blue ribbon at the County Fair, gaining 1 food, and then retiring".

Is there a Small or Large Improvement called Glue Factory by any chance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanno wrote:

And, just for clarity, this removes the horse from the game. Not the 12-year old. You can blame that confusion on the translation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanno wrote:

AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!

My 10-year-old daughter just recently discovered Bella Sara cards, got my 8-year-old son hooked on them, and now they want to spend all their spare time on the computer taking care of the damn things.

Plus, they were already doing Webkins before they discovered the horses. My wife and I put our foot down and said they could do one or the other, but not both. So they worked out a deal where he takes care of the Webkins and she does the Bella Sara.

I could choke the life out of whoever conceived the idea of those Bella Sara cards. I never expected to find them mentioned here on the 'geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awsome!

So, if I read this correctly, level 3 would be playing the standard game with all 7 minors and 7 occupations plus the expansion?

Either way it sounds really good and I can't wait.

Maus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maus wrote:
This is awesome!

So, if I read this correctly, level 3 would be playing the standard game with all 7 minors and 7 occupations plus the expansion?

Either way it sounds really good and I can't wait.

Maus

Yes exactly. The first in-depth article on BGG regarding this expansion strongly implied that the expansion was incompatible with Occupations and Minor Improvements (complete with supporting publisher comments). I was heartbroken and was considering how I could remedy this "problem."

An alternate mode of play is even better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
About the three levels: Uwe says that he thinks level II is suffieciently complex and that he won't play the game on level III ever, most probably. This would be far too complex for him and comparable to work instead of play. I don't know if this was mentioned in the video, this is at least (more or less) what he told me in private.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
About the three levels: Uwe says that he thinks level II is suffieciently complex and that he won't play the game on level III ever, most probably. This would be far too complex for him and comparable to work instead of play. I don't know if this was mentioned in the video, this is at least (more or less) what he told me in private.

I can see why. From a "planning" standpoint, this is one of the most stressful games I own. You constantly set goals and fail them; you're in constant worry about feeding the brats; you allocate jobs to all your family members at the start of the round (the "I need to do this" meta-game) and then forget completely when you go to place them.

If Level 3 becomes too complicated we may not play with it anymore, but I'd hate to play the game without an entire stack of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanno wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
Quote:

Actually,

I got an e-mail from Uwe several months ago about using a variant I came up with based on Johnathan Swift's A Modest Proposal.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/386335 He asked for permission to use the idea, which, of course, I granted without reservation. I should see if I can parlay this into a free copy of the expansion.

Here is the text of the e-mail in case there are those who don't believe me. I would post the actual e-mail from my geekmail if I knew how.

Subject:
Hi Craig!
I'm the author of agricola.
Do you allow to me, writing about your swift-variant? it is interesting.
Best wishes, uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
Hanno wrote:

AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!

My 10-year-old daughter just recently discovered Bella Sara cards, got my 8-year-old son hooked on them, and now they want to spend all their spare time on the computer taking care of the damn things.

Plus, they were already doing Webkins before they discovered the horses. My wife and I put our foot down and said they could do one or the other, but not both. So they worked out a deal where he takes care of the Webkins and she does the Bella Sara.

I could choke the life out of whoever conceived the idea of those Bella Sara cards. I never expected to find them mentioned here on the 'geek.

Made me think of this (from Penny Arcade):

"The Unhorse"

Warning: f-bomb (but really, it'll be alright)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be horses of a different color?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dickson
United States
National City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:

Made me think of this (from Penny Arcade):

"The Unhorse"

Warning: f-bomb (but really, it'll be alright)

An awesome one. I think it's amusing that you could use the "Horse" card from the original game to cover for your lack of ... horses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.