Ryan Dalton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew! I feel mentally exhausted after all of it, but a friend and I finally finished our first game. We've played before, but this is the first time we've finished. We played "Retaking Vierville" (the first scenario) with the victory going to the Americans in the end. It was a very close match. By turn 4 the Germans had taken 3 of the 4 objective houses. On turn 6, in a last ditch effort the Americans double-timed it across the battlefield, passed their morale checks, and assaulted, breaking and routing off the remaining German forces, while killing 2 leaders in CC. I was amazed at how close the game was, and how excited I stayed through the whole thing (despite it being 4 hours long) .

We got faster at procedures as the game progressed, but all the downtime with analysis paralysis, rulebook checking, and temporarily forgetting what we were doing caused us to move a little slow. Does anybody else have similar experiences or are we just a couple of really slow guys?

Couple rules questions arised that we couldn't really find in the rulebook. Any help would be much appreciated here. We made calls on the rules to keep the game flowing, but wanted to make sure we're playing right.

1) Does anything special happen when you roll a 12 on a PTC? It seemed to happen multiple times, but with no effect. We're pretty sure it's only on a normal MC or a rally check that any kind of reduction occurs.

2) Can a unit be in DM and also pinned simultaneously? We thought yes. This caused a broken/pinned unit during the game that was assaulted to be eliminated.

3)If you have a unit that advances into a CC and there's a broken unit adjacent to that CC, does that broken unit then receive a DM counter? This was really important, because there was a unit occupying the buildings, that was able to rally and hold it the next turn. We made the call of no (it favored my opponent).

4)According to the best of my knowledge, a unit that is pinned does not move during the Rout phase, even if its in open ground; it'll just stay in that same hex until the pin counters are removed. Can someone clarify this?

5)When rolling for interdiction, if a unit has a DM counter on it - do they add 4 to the interdiction roll? Our call was no, because rolling for interdiction is a morale check and not a rally check, which is was DM affects. It seemed to harsh to have to add 4 to the roll which almost always would lead to casualties.

I'm really excited about the ASLSK, it's a whole lot of game for the package it comes in. The game was exciting, and I felt overwhelmed with tactical decisions at times. If anybody knows a good tutorial or thread that contains great tactical advice in game procedures, please let me know. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 12 on a PTC doesn't do anything special. Just a pin.

2. Pin is removed on a broken unit.

3. The broken unit adjacent to the Known Enemy Unit receives a DM counter IN THE ROUT PHASE and is then forced to rout. In the rally phase, would not have the DM.

4. A broken unit cannot be pinned, cannot advance, and can only rout if under DM.

5. No, do not add the +4 DM for interdiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some further thoughts upon re-reading 4.

If the unit is NOT broken, but pinned, then it cannot move in the Advance Phase or Rout Phase.

If the unit was broken and routing, then interdiction caused a pin - by rolling equal to the moral number - then YES, it is forced to halt its rout in the open hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and I'm not sure about 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daltonovich wrote:
Does anybody else have similar experiences or are we just a couple of really slow guys?

That's me! I was in the same boat as you, but it goes much quicker for me now. I just finished a SK scenario in 2 hrs. Each time you come back to the game things get easier. Even if you set it down for a while.

Scott

PS - I also don't feel as mentally drained as when I was learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daltonovich wrote:
1) Does anything special happen when you roll a 12 on a PTC?

You pin really, really badly.

Quote:
3)If you have a unit that advances into a CC and there's a broken unit adjacent to that CC, does that broken unit then receive a DM counter?

Yes. If an enemy unit moves adjacent to your brokie, it is immediately DM'd if not so already.

Quote:
2) Can a unit be in DM and also pinned simultaneously? We thought yes. This caused a broken/pinned unit during the game that was assaulted to be eliminated.

4)According to the best of my knowledge, a unit that is pinned does not move during the Rout phase, even if its in open ground; it'll just stay in that same hex until the pin counters are removed. Can someone clarify this?

These are related questions. If you're pinned and unbroken, then you can't move further for the rest of the Player Turn, whether by regular movement or advancing. But if you break, you lose the Pin immediately. So your question about the Rout Phase doesn't entirely make sense, because you'll only move in the RtPh if you're broken, and if you're broken you're not pinned. However, you can sort of Pin again in the RtPh. If a brokie is routing, takes Interdiction, and rolls exactly their ML, then it must immediately stop moving - it's "pinned" in that sense, though it doesn't actually receive a Pin marker.

Quote:
5)When rolling for interdiction, if a unit has a DM counter on it - do they add 4 to the interdiction roll? Our call was no, because rolling for interdiction is a morale check and not a rally check, which is was DM affects.

Very good. Go by what the counters say - DM says Rally +4, not MC +4.

Quote:
If anybody knows a good tutorial or thread that contains great tactical advice in game procedures, please let me know.

There are bunch of tutorials in this forum written by Jay (richfam) that I'm sure you'd find helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daltonovich wrote:
If anybody knows a good tutorial or thread that contains great tactical advice in game procedures, please let me know. Thanks!

Check out my blog. The right hand links list has a whack of resources from the 'net on it, including the absolutely indispensible richfam tutorials.

http://triplepbf.blogspot.com/

EDIT: Where are my manners?! WELCOME TO ASL! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ryan,

Here's a link to richfam's essential tutorial for ASLSK1 right here on BGG:-

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/35936

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dalton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a ton guys, that will make things much easier for our game next week (War of the Rats! I'm already jazzed up about it). I do have Jay Richardson's tutorials (thanks for the links) and went through the first one a while back (like 2-3 months ago), but I think that I'm going to need to read it again though plus read the other ones as well so I can get my tactics down better.

It's a little strange, I've never played a game like this. It's kept me thinking about it afterward, and despite it's length and the confusion with rules and rulebook searches (things that usually detract me from certain games), I already want to play again.

I expect I'll be getting into VASL here shortly.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
re; Slow game, The first few games I played I was so overwhelmed almost by learning the system itself, I didntreally have time to analyse the tactical ramifications of certain moves , I still had a massive amount of fun though!

After that however I started to learn more about moving units in a specific order IE: move half squads close to draw fire, then run squads around the range of the enemy, or to move units SINGLY not in a stack

Glad to hear you had fun, and thinking about the game when you are finished is a good sign I think, it means the concepts are starting to take root!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Hundley
United States
Danville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:
After that however I started to learn more about moving units in a specific order IE: move half squads close to draw fire, then run squads around the range of the enemy, or to move units SINGLY not in a stack

I believe that "moving in stacks is a really bad idea" is the first lesson I learned while picking up the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that your technical questions were answered already. I agree with the recommendations to read the Jay Richardson tutorials. I would also humbly recommend my recently uploaded tutorial Examples of Play (EOPs), two each for ASLSK 1 & 2, using Scenarios S1, S2, S15 and S16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daltonovich wrote:

It's a little strange, I've never played a game like this. It's kept me thinking about it afterward, and despite it's length and the confusion with rules and rulebook searches (things that usually detract me from certain games), I already want to play again.

It's already been said here, but after reading that it needs to me said again. Welcome to ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:
or to move units SINGLY not in a stack

But it's soooo tempting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One rule that sometimes gets forgotten...
If your stack containing a leader and a squad is attacked and the squad BREAKS and the leader is PINNED then the leader is not allowed to rout with the broken squad. A Pinned leader may not move with a broken squad during the rout phase. Normally an unbroken leader may move with broken units during the rout phase.
But, anytime a squad breaks it loses all of its other conditions. And before you ask a broken unit is immune to ELR replacement, too. ELR only applies to unbroken units. Sometimes people forget that one. Basically all a broken squad can do is take casualty reduction and rally. It can rout and low crawl but it is subject to interdiction which as was pointed out before is a form of pin.

In regular ASL a broken squad CAN be a prisoner guard. But prisoners guarded by broken units can attempt to escape. The prisoners declare an escape attempt and it triggers sequential close combat. If the prisoners win then they are escaped prisoners and can try to scrounge for weapons to be armed as a conscript sq/hs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bluerock
United States
Mufreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
misfits859 wrote:
dude163 wrote:

I believe that "moving in stacks is a really bad idea" is the first lesson I learned while picking up the game.

Yeah. Imagine being told to huddle up and charge a machine gun nest! No Sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.