Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Meyer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he is far down my list. But I will make a case for taking Hammurabi.

It is a 4-player game (2-player leaves you too many better alternatives)

You draft late and are looking at what to do with your 3 or 4 CA. Rather than be inefficient, you grab Hammurabi in the 1 CA slot. Now, he is almost free to get. Then you play him after you have used an MA (maybe a tactics card play or a warrior conscription). Now he is pretty much free. You replace him with an age 1 leader and actually gain a MA!

I haven't done this often, but I think it can be worthwhile. Maybe you have a patriotism to use with him.

I will never turn down one of the big three leaders to get Hammurabi, but I can see taking him late for one CA in the drafting round. Unfortunately most age 1 leaders are less than impressive when compared to the big three.

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel pretty much the same...I have taken him before for 1CA to great effect. I don't hold on to him too long though funnily enough his extra CA he gives you can sometimes help you build troops. Age A leaders > Age 1...but I agree as soon as a 1/2 decent age-1 comes out thats when you switch away from Hammy having gained at least a few CA's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a game last night where Julius, Moses, and Alexander were all in the pile of ancient cards that got tossed. I ended up taking Hammurabi, and it changed my mind on his usefulness.

No one doubts the benefit of 1 civil action- the difficulty with Hammurabi is obviously that sacrificing 1 MA is a big deal, and not worth gaining a civ action in the long run. I'd posit that having Hammurabi for 4-5 turns at the very beginning of the game is not going to kill you, and will really help you jump-start your economy. Age I military cards, aside from a somewhat decent tactics card, are simply not that important in the long run. You DO need to have an exit strategy, though- I ended up taking Barbarossa as an age I leader to make up for my somewhat underdeveloped military. I also ended up researching an early Warfare to give myself a leg-up on military actions.

As a result of the extra CA on those first few turns where it mattered I ended up with a much better starting economy over my opponent &, perhaps more notably, double his science generation fairly early.

The more I play the game the more I don't think this game is about identifying which cards are the strongest in general, but more about filling in weaknesses & being flexible. If I'm on turn 1 and I have to choose between Homer(2civ actions) and taking both Ham & a good civil card(or wonder!), there's a good chance I'll do the second option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
The benefit of Hammurabi is largely dependent on the card distribution. If good action cards come evenly distributed, you can gain quite an advantage by taking and playing 1-2 action cards per turn. On the other hand, if they show up all at once, or grouped at the end, then Hammy can be worthless.

Also, if Warfare comes out early and you have a chance to grab it, then that can counter-balance the loss of a MA and you can look like a hero.

I had one amusing 3-player game where I took Hammy, built the Pyramids, grabbed Code of Laws, and revolted to Monarchy. I had 7 actions while still in Age I. This was too many to be useful, and I almost lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Meyer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With your glut of civil actions you probably took marginal cards and brought some bargains down to your opponents faster!
To balance out Hammurabi you can grab warfare, usually a better bargain than code of laws.
How much better is Caesar than Hammurabi?
More than difference between high speed internet and dail - up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.