Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Putting aside any nostalgia about this being the original game, is it also the best core Munchkin game to buy if I want to get in as a new player with a group of about 3-5 players? If I buy this and like it, does this one have the best line of expansions given that they all have at least one sequel it seems?

Or should I start with the space, western, kung fu, spy, superhero, cthulu, vampire, etc version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that it is the best in gameplay, but there isn't a lot of difference and Munchkin is more about atmosphere and the jokes anyway. I'd so go for the theme that the group will like best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well we kind of like all the themes and so I was hoping to get the one that played the best. :-)

Which one do you think is the best in gameplay, if as you say this isn'tit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO Cthulhu is the best game. Evolution of characters is about average (just as in the base game), but it has some more gimmicks that the base doesn't, especially if you also add the one existing expansion. Its propaply the most unique of all sets.
But really I'd pick the THEME I like most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Neal
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
IMHO Cthulhu is the best game. Evolution of characters is about average (just as in the base game), but it has some more gimmicks that the base doesn't, especially if you also add the one existing expansion. Its propaply the most unique of all sets.
But really I'd pick the THEME I like most.

Have to agree with the above, though I do not own the Cthulhu themed deck I played it with an experienced group right after the expansion dropped, and it was the only one I hadn't played at that time. the above assessment is spot on from my personal experience, including the portion about picking the theme that is the most appealing to your group, I really think this will be the key to long term enjoyment.

Edit for:Spelling (of all things blush )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[color=blue]I have to chime in on "your favourite theme" as well. But if they are all equal then Munchkin is as good as any to start with, maybe the best. It has by far the most expansions (of course you can mix all sets together anyway), and it doesn't have those "extra special rules" some of the other sets have (like the Cultists in Cthulhu, Sharks in Booty, Honk Kong Monsters/Items in Fu, Bats in Bites, etc). Also it's a theme most people are familiar with, and the race/class thing is easier to figure out/makes more sense than some of the other stuff (like Accents og Styles). For me it also has the most amounts of "Aha, I get it!" jokes.

On the negative side the cards may look a bit bland compared to the other multicolored sets. And it might not be as balanced as some of the others.

In any case you'll be reading the rules quite a few times, and make sure to check out the FAQ/Errata :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The set I use for casual play is Star Munchkin..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm gonna have to jump on the "theme" bandwagon as well. I'm a big comic book fan and the last time I played Munchkin with the group I was most competitve with, Super Munchkin worked best for us.

Than again, the core munchkin set we were burnt out on only because we had seen just about every card in the deck. Super Munchkin worked because it was something new and fresh.

The only upswing to the original is the fact that it has the most expansions of all of them and adds more to the game. The only downside to Vanilla munchkin is card variety. As you add more expansions it gets harder and harder to see the newer stuff and what they change when you have the previous expansion before that (I think the only exception I think to this is number 6 which I don't have, but from what I've read sounds like it could change things up for a bit.)
So while I don't know if it has the BEST expansion it does have the MOST expansions of the entire family.

Something else to consider is Munchkin Quest...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks all. Seems likely that we will go with the base game then.

I haven't read a lot about Munchkin Quest though. I'll see what's on the geek about that. When I saw it wasn't the same type of game I kind of skipped over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
My advise: stick to the card game, don´t do quest.

And yes, chose the theme not the mechanics. I prefer Cthulhu and super.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just read the rulebook, looked at the pictures, and read some reviews and articles about Quest. OH MY GOD. From what I've read so far it sounds exactly like the sort of game my group and I would love. Random dungeon crawling? Yes please. I think I may actually splurge and get both games: Original Munchkin and Munchkin Quest. A game/hobby store near me is having a sale right now that will make this all quite a bit more affordable. I may even toss in Munchkin 2, which they are selling for a mere 10 bucks. If I don't like it I'm sure I can eBay it for that amount to get my money back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for the theme,
cthulu is the best, but I've some friend that never heard about Lovecraft and jokes are lost (I know, I've strange friends).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Nies
United States
Keizer
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group is severely twisted and we throw in as many as we can. That said, I'd go with the main box if you are into the old school D&D genre. If you like the Lovecraft Mythos, then, by all means, get the Cthulhu expansion.

-InnsmouthMedic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, taking advantage of some sales, a little extra cash I've got floating around, and the contributions of some fellow gamers, I'm going to get Munchkin (original vanilla), Munchkin 2: Unnatural Axe, Munchkin Quest, and Munchkin Quest 2: Looking for Trouble. A game store owner told me he may have a used copy of the Troll Booth promo floating around that he would toss in to that lot, but he's not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.