Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42» Forums » Strategy

Subject: CoH Strategy Guide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I've played this game for the last couple of weekends and got through to Firefight#1 and 2.
In both scenarios we played both sides, and in both scenarios I lost badly (well, at least the game was closer when I played the Germans).

Now, I had very mixed feelings about it, but now I'm starting to see how deep it can be. One of my biggest mistakes, I think, was to play CoH like I used to play to Squad Leader. In SL, position is everything and infantry squads don't have a chance if they try to cross open fields.
I remember that my first SL games where a disaster until I read the strategy guide that you could find on the back of the rulebook. Then my playing experience improved greatly.

It would be wonderful to read a tactical guide to CoH! So that newbies, such as myself wouldn't get razed every game they play, at least at the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Strategy guide? I don't know what to tell you but I can give you advice for the FF

FF1
Spoiler (click to reveal)
GERMANS
Move a LMG on the north light woods. Don't let the Soviets cross the street. Your main strategy is to avoid CC. The opposite stands for the
SOVIETS
If you can move a squad to the woods across the crossroads during your first activation. Get in CC. Don't count on the Maxim. Most probably it won't survive the first round. I have never won as the Soviets.

FF2
Spoiler (click to reveal)
GERMANS
I spend CAPs to get the initiative. Then I order the foremost two squads with CAPs to open fire at the Maxim (fire leader the foremost LMG) I spent an extra 2 CAPs to augment FP this brings it up to a total of 9 If you have a +2 FP card play it (a possible 11 FP!!!). All this against a DV of 13 Unless you are unlucky you should tear the maxim in pieces... You have spent 6 CAPs and a Cards but now you have a clear way by the woods Also let a squad with an excess rifle unit move between the woods to your left to get LOS to the Hex... That will give you steady VPs. You could reach to the house but don't push it.
SOVIETS
The objective is to hold the Germans back for as long as you can. Hide all your units (I keep one close to the house with the MMG to be able to control it on the 3rd round) Preserve CAPs and Activations. Activate before the Germans has the ability to pass two times in row thus ending the round (usually when he has one or two unspent units)

General advice:

1. CAPS and Cards. When I use them, I use a lot of them at once in order to gain a significant advantage. Don't be afraid to spend 5 CAPs and 2 Cards in a series of actions-reactions if the gain is worth it. Find opportunities to put all the weight of my force in order to gain something

2. Think well before you hide your units. THERE are optimal places to hide your units, find them. Especially for the FF2 and FF3.

3. Use smoke as a screen. This will be very useful for the Germans in FF3

HAVE FUN!!!

I wish I could play this game more often than I do...cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These FFs teach important lessons to any soviet player for later firefights. They highlight the two things that soviets generally have going for them:

A: They are on the defensive.

B: Hidden units.

In FF1, the heavy woods hexes just west of the control point are a great defensive spot for the germans. So, as the soviets you need to make them pay if they want to take them. the PPSH squad is in a good flanking position, just dont use him too early(keep him safe by spending 1-2 caps to move him out of LOS, then have him run to short range (or CC) if the germans move LMGs there.

Chances are the germans wont stack their infantry with their LMGs. If you can out-wait the germans and run your ppsh squad up right on top of an lmg, you put them in a tight spot on turn 2. They have a few choices on how to deal with it, the best one being to retreat farther in the woods (which would generally cost them 3 caps and make them lose ground. If they do, dont follow - back your ppsh out of the woods with a couple caps. at the very least, this buys you some time to get your reinforcements on t2 someplace actually useful.

as far as t3 goes - try to set up your MMG so he can at least threaten the entrance of the pioneers. having them back in the woods will give you the advantage of getting a shot off a short range if the pioneers go for the mmg, or waiting till the pioneer decides to go around those woods, so you can pop out and possibly get a flank shot.

a few general pointers:

HAVING caps makes you dangerous and unpredictable. It is much more beneficial to simply have extra caps than to SPEND them.

As the soviets, sometimes firing is a bad idea. Think about how you could set yourself up for a shot on the next turn before deciding that running in and firing is your only option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saan wrote:
These FFs teach important lessons to any soviet player for later firefights.

I just wish they could do that while being more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Saan wrote:
These FFs teach important lessons to any soviet player for later firefights.

I just wish they could do that while being more balanced.

Haha, yeah - They teach you that you are outgunned, outmanned, and sometimes outnumbered. :)

Greeek Geek wrote:
GERMANS
I spend CAPs to get the initiative.

As per the updated FF rules, the soviets always activate first in FF1. Otherwise, i would agree. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the living proof that you can play the Germans so badly that they may very well lose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saan wrote:
Greeek Geek wrote:
GERMANS
I spend CAPs to get the initiative.

As per the updated FF rules, the soviets always activate first in FF1. Otherwise, I would agree.

I was talking about FF2

Playing FF1 with cards makes it more interesting because it gives some mobility to the Soviet player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please don't get me wrong here as I may have explained myself poorly.
I have little use of the guides for the single firefights as I can find many already here on the BGG.
What I was asking for was a general guide that covers some basic situations, for instance, how do I attack in this game? How do I punch through the enemy lines? What do I have to do to exploit what I've achieved? How do I achieve a good defence?
And again, how do I handle the CAPs? And what about the reaction fire?
Are there any general tactical rules you can share, that work in this game?

The game seems most asymmetric in the way it should be played depending on which side you take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few strategy tips I've learned over the past year:

CAPs
Don't spend CAPs to improve your chances of a hit unless you need a hit in the 6 to 9 range. The odds of that CAP you spent doing any good are just too low otherwise. A CAP spent when you require an 8 is more than 6 times more likely to be worthwhile than a CAP spent when you require 13.

Opportunity Actions
Don't be afraid to use Opp Actions on your own activation. If you don't plan on moving a hit unit, you might as well use an opp action to rally as soon as possible. If a unit costs 5+ to fire, you are often best just firing with an opp action if the unit is in a good position. If you're planning on hiding a unit, building a road block or hasty defense, don't wait to activate the unit, use an opp action and get the job done right away - you lose nothing by doing these kind of actions earlier.

Control Markers
Control markers are really worth double the VPs they say they're worth. A control point that is worth 2 VPs for both of you is actually worth 4 VPs to you, as you'll be taking 2 VPs away from your opponent as well. Remember that when deciding how much you're willing to risk losing your units in order to take the point.

Defense
Pass a lot. If you can't do anything substantial, don't do anything at all. Let the offense use up their resources before you do. If you use up your resources before the offense does, they will overrun you.

Offense
See previous note. Try to lure your opponent into spending CAPs and cards when not totally necessary, then when he's run out, you can run through his lines with ease.

Punching through the opponents line.
Say you want to punch through the north part of the opponent's defense line. Fire smoke in front of the southern section of the line to make it more difficult for them to fire. Concentrate your attack on the northern part of the line and when they are destroyed/damaged/used then drive on through. (This can work particularly well in the Monsters firefight.)

Reaction Fire:
With soviets, their AP to attack is so high, I would rarely hesitate to fire as a reaction if in a good position to do so (i.e. short or close range). Soviet units tend to have higher fire power but can only fire once per turn (without adding extra resources), so opp fire is often just as good. For the Germans, consider using cards or CAPs for reaction fire to keep the unit from being used up. Many of the German units can fire 3 times in one activation, and spending a couple CAPs or a card to make sure that they will still have all those attempts to fire can really help.

That's it for now - if I think up more I'll post them.
Hope that helps!

(Oh, I'll throw in a bonus one - when you're out of cards, and then pick up a new card, and it's really useful, say "Crap, I'll never get to use this card!". Note, this tactic will probably only work once against any given opponent.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1COMMAND (CAPs and Cards)
The most useful advice I can give you was the advice about CAPs and Cards in my first post. Save them in order to use them when they are needed. When you see a situation you can exploit don't be conservative about spending your Command (CAPs and Cards). Spend what you need to gain what you want. An example is the first move I make as the German in FF2. Always try to keep some CAPs or a Card as a reserve. That will make your opponent slow and cautious especially when trying to storm positions in CC. For me this is the the most important thing is to keep in mind.

2HIDING
Study where you can hide your units. As the soviet you are very good at CC with your hordes of riflemen in a single squad. If you can avoid hiding in a place where you can get under fire do it. The Germans usually spend some actions firing at possible locations were the Soviets can hide. If the Germans are likely to move through some woods don't hide in the first row where they can fire from afar. Hide on the second row and let them walk in you position and fire them at close range or CC.
In some FF there are places to hide your units in order to gain some advantage, call Artillery support, rain down fire from a MMG, set up an antitank weapon. Search for them and use them.

3SACRIFICE
You say you were playing ASL so you'll know that one. CoH was the first Wargame for me so it was a tough lesson to learn. You WILL have casualties. You will have MORE casualties of what you are hoping. You can't make an omelette if you don't brake some eggs right?
As the German the most effective way to snare out the hidden Soviet units is to get shot at. As I understand that was true during the war. You can't be cautious and speedy at the same time. You have to sompromise...

4SMOKE
Use smoke to cover your advance. In some firefights I fired smoke in front of supposed Soviet MMG positions in order to move fast and safely my squads across open ground. Smoke blocks LOS or hinders the attack. It gives you better chances to move fast your units.

thumbsdown Since I am in no way an expert in tactical wargames, or wargames in general, I could be all wrong!!!

That is all I can think for now... If I think of anything else I'll post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You say you were playing ASL so you'll know that one.

I've been tempted many times over to tame the ASL beast, but I lacked the courage for such an enterprise.
I played Squad Leader, and you are right, I know that one...

What about fields of fire? And urban combat? How do I best use my mortar and off board artillery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:
How do I best use my mortar and off board artillery?

Remember that mortars and off board artillery hit the flank, and that heavy woods offers no protection against them. This means they are very good against certain units that are very hard.

Use them against guns, such as infantry and anti-tank guns, that have a high blue front defense, but a low red rear defense. In some firefights (like the swamp) this will be just about your only effective way of getting rid of these nasty units. Units in heavy woods are also a prime target.

If you have a spotter, remember that your elevation counts where your spotter is. Hiding mortars behind hills is a great strategy, since the top of the hill provides great LOS and a bonus to attack, and your mortar will remain difficult to get at by your enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortars are a GREAT tool vs german LMGs. They hit flank, and lmg flank defense is 10.

Mortars on hills become very deadly. They can outrange most units, and even though you might think 2 or 3 FP is weak, there are a few reasons it is not:

Many times you will have hills to put these mortars on. that is +1FP.

They hit flank. Which means mortar FP is, in essence, 1 higher if attacking rifles, and 2 higher when attacking LMG squads. so already we are at 4-7 'relative' FP.

As the soviets: want to make user of the MMG maxim that is generally just short of worthless? Have him support fire on a mortar! he can support up to 24 range, and can provide some up-close defense to your mortar in a pinch.

Now as far as the 82mc baddies: Two awesome abilities, one huge drawback.

Firing smoke: provide cover anywhere you need it. block entrentched positions so you can get other units to CC, provide some defense to flanked and vulnerable units.

Indirect fire: Keep your mortar off the crest of a hill and safe from enemy MG/mortar fire while still raining death on those nazi/soviet bastards.

Drawback: Slooooooow. Keep some infantry support close. Granted, in many FFFs, you definately have range on your side.

Artillery - well, that is a question that needs to be addressed on a FF by FF basis: just remember that heavy woods do NOT give their defense bonus VS artillery, and it hits flank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have played FF1 4 times as the Soviets and I have won 3 times. The trick is to bring you machs to the woods close to the VP objective. Before the end of the turn move one unit onto it. You will be able to cover it with your oder units. Always use the woods and play defensively when attacking (if you understand what I mean). When getting your reinforcements, try to get them to kill the German pioneers ASAP! This way you will risk a lot but making sure of winning VPs.

Enjoy,

Romian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Use them against guns, such as infantry and anti-tank guns, that have a high blue front defense, but a low red rear defense. In some firefights (like the swamp) this will be just about your only effective way of getting rid of these nasty units. Units in heavy woods are also a prime target.

Ok this is what I call sound advice!

I may recap all the lessons you are giving me in a big single post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.