Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Silverton works well with two. The Empire Builder series is playable, although the lack of competition for cities and ideal routes takes some of the fun out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Chicago Express plays great with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Supposedly 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
The Empire Builder series is playable, although the lack of competition for cities and ideal routes takes some of the fun out of it.

I second the recommendation of Empire Builder and other games in that series. There are rules included for 2-player play, reducing the access to some of the small cities to make it more competitive. When only one player can have access to the small cities, it makes for tough choices.

Though I have played it with three but not two, my suggestion would be India Rails, because the gameboard is smaller than Empire Builder and most of the others. This reduces playing time while increasing competition for cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some recent discussions with hotlinks regarding your question:

Train Game Comparison

Heavier Train games that play well with 2 players

train games - help me choose past ticket to ride (TTR)

A true train game? (esp. for 2er)

Check out the video for Empire Builder on This Geeklist.

We just bought and played India Rails 2-player and enjoyed it very much. It seems overly complicated and confusing at the beginning--because you are learning the map and the game (it was our first Empire Builder/crayon rails type game), but it is very engaging, challenging, satisfying, and enjoyable.

Good luck!!

Mrs. Mystery Bob[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Leveille
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Union vs. Central is specifically designed for two, though as it is a Winsome game it can be pretty difficult to track down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Chicago Express plays great with 2.

CEx isn't my favorite train game for a group (I have an origins article up on fortressat.com with reviews of a couple of train games right now) BUT I can definitely see it working really well for two people, more so than some other train games out there.

Doesn't Steam (the new one) play with two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hancock.tom wrote:

Doesn't Steam (the new one) play with two?

What I've read in other threads leads me to believe that the basic game (no auction) works well with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Finke
United States
Cumming
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy playing Railroad Tycoon with only 2 players. Just use only the center board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
The Empire Builder series is playable, although the lack of competition for cities and ideal routes takes some of the fun out of it.

My wife and I play a lot of Empire Builder series games. Sure, we'd like another player or two, but it sure beats watching TV! We can play a game in little more than an hour. It's more a contest of judgment and efficiency than of messing with your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Station Master isn't bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.