Subject: Game Recommendations for an Extended Hiking Trip rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm going on a 5-day camping trip in the Adirondacks starting Friday morning. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good game or two to bring along? Anything I bring should be lightweight, durable, and ideally waterproof. Also, shouldn't have a lot of bits to get lost, etc... We'll be in the woods, playing by light from flashlights.

Thanks!
Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I usually play RPGs when camping specifically because of the lack parts involved and exposed to the elements.

But as far as boardgames go with minimal parts:

1.A wet erase version of Twilight Struggle? (eliminates the need for all counters and fits in a manila envelope)

2.Ca$h 'n Gun$: Live ? No guns needed, fingers do fine.

3.Any miniatures game, but the amount and resulting weight of pieces could be a deal breaker. The bonus is beautiful 'free terrain' borrowed from your surroundings. To eliminate bringing your own miniatures you could also borrow them from nature too, but you need a better imagination. All you practically need are the rules and dice if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Gilmer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
How much do you mind getting cards possibly wet? Bohnanza or traditional card games don't take up much room.

How about Cash n' Guns? If you can't see the (very light, easy to carry) orange guns, use flashlights!

Wait--did you say Adirondacks? Say hi to South Carolina's governor for us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive

Of course, how lightweight do you need it? What's your base pack weight? What else are you carrying? (Backpacker here, obviously.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring a set of double-nine dominoes. You can get good sets at Wal-mart, Toys-R-Us, and similar outlets.

Advantages:

1. Many games that can be played, with as few as two players and as many as 7 or 8. (Chickenfoot proved extremely popular with our Scouts -- very popular after dinner). Games are easy to learn yet challenging, and even non-gamers tend to catch on quickly. Sets usually come with rules, but you can also find more online.

2. Don't take up a lot of space, and most come in handy plastic or tin containers. They aren't heavy, but if space/weight is a consideration, the set can easily be divided and bagged separately to be carried among the hikers.

3. Durable. Won't fold, tear, crease, or break.

4. Washable and waterproof. Dirty hands and dirty surfaces are not a problem. Leave them out all night -- wake up in the morning and find them covered with dew -- not a problem

5. Inexpensive. One-third to one-half the cost of a good Euro card game.

6. No small bits to lose.

7. No set-up time.

8. Played on any relatively flat surface, and under any conditions, including rain and strong wind.

The Adirondacks are beautiful hiking and camping mountains. Are you doing low-impact camping, or are you overnighting at campgrounds with facilities? What towns/lakes will you be near?

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luciusgilmer wrote:
Bohnanza or traditional card games don't take up much room.

Although, Bohnanza takes up three times as much space as a regular deck of cards. It's actually pretty hefty as card games go. If we're talking lightweight, you'd better enjoy Bohnanza as much as any three other games.

I second a deck of cards, though. It's possible to get all-plastic cards that will survive a dunk in the creek just fine. Very few specialty card games are waterproof.

Dice games are also a good choice for weight and durability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tantrix -- especially if you can get your hands on the travel edition (so far I haven't been able to in the states).

Six -- with which you can also play Halves. 38 nuts in two different colors will also work for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Bring a set of double-nine dominoes.

What mule should he hire to carry them? Definitely not lightweight. Double-twelves would actually equal my base pack weight all by themselves. I was reluctant to recommend Hive, and it contains only 22 bakelite pieces compared to the 90 you suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
native_son wrote:
Eldard wrote:

What mule should he hire to carry them? Definitely not lightweight. Double-twelves would actually equal my base pack weight all by themselves.

Judging by a couple of items on amazon.com (which is handy because it lists weights), they'd be around 3.7 pounds. Which is a bit more than a liter and a half of water.

If you go out of your way, it looks like you can get that down to a 2.2 pound "travel size." I would consider dominoes myself, for durability, but then I don't care for any game that needs more than travel-sized double-sixes (about 2/3 pound).

While I'm being so precise, a single KEM bridge-sized card deck (they come in packs of 2) is about 5 ounces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Brinks
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan is a winner in my book

Ditch the box and use a ziplock bag...

It also scales nicely from 2-4. If you have more than 4, Bang! can be a lot of fun as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think card games are generally your best bet. All sans boxes of course.

For 2:

Blue Moon with a couple of expansion decks.
Twilight Struggle with the travel size map/file available on BGG and a pencil.

For 3-5:

Witch's Brew
Colossal Arena
Race for the Galaxy

For 5+
Shadow Hunters
BANG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
Judging by a couple of items on amazon.com (which is handy because it lists weights), they'd be around 3.7 pounds. Which is a bit more than a liter and a half of water.

Yup, ridiculously heavy, unless car camping in which case the weight is a total nonissue. My two-person tent weighs less than that. For a five day trip, I usually aim for 25 pounds total, and 3.7 pounds of dominoes would be killer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, while I like and recommended Hive, here's a real winner: Treehouse. In fact, if everyone carries their own icehouse pieces, you could play tons of games while adding hardly any weight at all. See the Icehouse Pyramid Games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/20
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Varela
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Treehouse
100% waterproof, and zillions of games to play with the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
native_son wrote:
Eldard wrote:

What mule should he hire to carry them? Definitely not lightweight. Double-twelves would actually equal my base pack weight all by themselves.

If you go out of your way, it looks like you can get that down to a 2.2 pound "travel size." I would consider dominoes myself, for durability, but then I don't care for any game that needs more than travel-sized double-sixes (about 2/3 pound).

While I'm being so precise, a single KEM bridge-sized card deck (they come in packs of 2) is about 5 ounces.

That's why I asked about the hiking/camping conditions.

If I'm low-impact camping, I'm packing a lightweight sleeping bag (or a couple of blankets), a few polypropylene clothing items, and gear. If one hiker is carrying the tent, and another is carrying the stove, water, etc., the dominoes probably aren't that much extra. I've carried a set of dominoes in a pack, and it was no hassle for me, but it certainly depends on the size/experience of the backpacker, the distances and terrain, and the availability of water along the trail and at the cite of the camp. Naturally, if they have to haul all their fresh water, weight is a greater consideration.

As I mentioned, like any 'common gear' and food, the set of dominoes can be broken down and bagged for distribution among the hikers. Taking the 3.7 pound set you cited, four hikers each carry about 1 pound.

A deck of playing cards is also very handy, and may last 5 days in the woods, and there are many games that can be played. But I'll take dominoes over a "one-trick pony" Euro-type card game that is (a) relatively costly to purchase or (if owned) replace, and (b) has only one set of rules, which may not be popular with the group.

Hive isn't a bad recommendation; it has many of the advantages as dominoes. But it only a two-player game, and unless you can invent new rules, the tiles can only be used to play Hive. A 2-player game of less weight would be a small travel chess set, some of which don't weigh any more than a deck of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
A deck of playing cards is also very handy, and may last 5 days in the woods, and there are many games that can be played.

KEM cards are about as close to indestructible as you can get. They'll cost you more than cardstock, but not fail in the middle of your trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldnt be Adlung card games fit the
bill perfectly? For example:

PalastgeflüsterMeutererThe Castle of the Devil

The publishers website for the adult games (though in german): http://www.adlung-spiele.de/List?articles=7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nvarela wrote:
Treehouse
100% waterproof, and zillions of games to play with the system.

Which is not to say zillions of especially good games. Worth educating yourself a bit before committing, as you may need quite a few copies to play your favorites.

Still, super-light and durable, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Killoran
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eight standard dice will allow you to play Farkle, Knizia's decathalon, craps, etc. A Cosmic Wimpout set in the tube provides a bit more funkiness, as does a Cinq-O case (which can clip to a daisy chain on your pack.) As a rule, dice games are ideal for backpacking and camping because they are small, lightweight, versatile,waterproof,indestructable, and inexpensive. They scale very well for a wide variety of player numbers and experience.

Also, don't forget that a number of good games can be manufactured from resources naturally available at any campsite. I sometimes play Mancala with pebbles and pits dug into the ground with the heel of my hiking boot. 9 Men's Morris boards can be scratched into the dirt with a stick. If you have dice, you can make a Can't Stop board out of flat rocks. Perhaps the best thing to bring would be a paperback Hoyle and try out some unfamiliar traditional games with whatever materials present themselves!

The Uno H2O decks are waterproof and can be used to play a wide variety of card games. Good luck on your adventure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Lost Cities for bicycle (and future canoe/ kayak) camping - not quite as weight restricted as backpacking. SET might work as well (plays 1 - many). Maybe Citadels (using locally found rocks for coins)

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Knizia's decathalon is fantastic--print the nice pdfs in the file section and either laminate/dry erase, or print 4-up. Bring 8 dice, and you're there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive sounds like a good bet (compact and durable), but it's only for 2 players.

Otherwise, you might want to pick up an inexpensive card game. Bang! and Citadels both work well with larger groups. You might also try one of the Werewolf games (Ultimate Werewolf, Lupus in Tabula, etc.), which just seems so darned appropriate for playing out in the wilderness. Of course, that kind of game really only works with larger groups (6 or more), but I can just imagine how playing that around a campfire would be!

Of course, any 'travel' version of a game ought to work as well (Travel Blokus, Travel Carc, etc.)

Oh, Gloom ought to be waterproof, and with expansions can go from 2 to 7 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Michaelis

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 30+ games of No Thanks on a recent backpacking trip to Canyonlands Utah. It was a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
native_son wrote:
Hive

Of course, how lightweight do you need it? What's your base pack weight? What else are you carrying? (Backpacker here, obviously.)

It's weighing in at appx 27 pounds now. I like Hive, but there will be three of us. Card games are a good suggestion, but a lot of rain is forecast. Still, the inside of the tent should be dry (but no good for a game which requires a lot of space like Race for the Galaxy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gatheral
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar issue as I am going hiking this weekend. I have printed out this MEDICI homebrew designed by user Kilgore

The board can be as simple as an A3 piece of paper, though I have glued mine on to 2 pieces of A4 foamboard. The cards can be pasted onto old magic cards and placed in decksleeves in a deckbox. I am borrowing 7 discs of 6 different colours from my agricola set, (the seventh set is so that each player can have a disc in front of him so we can see who is which colour.

Very light and compact.

Great game, accessible to gamers and non gamers alike.

I really hope my friends like it!

DG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.