Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I'm happy to say that our game group may be outgrowing our house. Fifteen gamers last night is about at the rated capacity, and there are now 30 members in the Facebook group of gamers in Bend.

Reluctantly, I'm thinking we may have to move to a public space. I'll miss the kitchen, stereo, good lighting, and comfortable seating of home. Also, it is nice to be able to play until 1:00 am when the spirit moves.

So where do you guys go that provides most of the comforts of home?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Libraries often have community rooms.

edit: not sure you can play until 1:00 AM there though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask around at local cafes, especially ones with big tables and that seem to always be fairly uncrowded.

Library is a good suggestion too, but you'll often have to pay for the room (though usually not too much).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our go-to places are a coffee shop and a pizza place (open until 4 am!) for our Ann Arbor group, and a coffee shop for our Toledo group. We're always on the lookout for the right mix of hours, menu and furniture...

Alex Yeager

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Roy Roger's Party/Community room off Rte 26 in Frederick Maryland

every 2d Saturday of the month

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There's one local game group that meets at the public library and they let the room be used until 11pm (or later) by the group. Another group meets in the Yahoo! cafe (one member is an employee.) If the weather's nice you can try the local park but gaming can get a bit rough as the sun goes down/wind comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
We meet one weekend at the Bartlett game store, one weekend at the Southhaven game store, one weekend at the pizza joint near the UofM. And every wednesday night at the home of one of our members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Houston has several groups, with overlap, and we meet all over the place.

One group spoke with the proprietor of a small Vietnamese Tea house. We' provide a good bit of business and play from 4pm until 10pm+ and if we need to go longer, he has us lock up on our way out.

We also meet at a Steak n Shake resteraunt that is open well into the night.

One of the comic / game stores allows us to game until midnight+.

Sometimes groups meet at a Pizza buffet and are there all day.

One thing is to simply find a place that looks nice, has room for people and speak with the manager. Inform her/him that your group is generally quiet, clean and will bring roughly X number of people ready to eat at the place.

Another is to see about using the local library's common room as mentioned above OR if you have college students who are in your group, they can generally invite guests to use the vast room most colleges have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
My gamegroup, (London On Board) meet in the basement bar of a pub in Central London, that is nicely air conditioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schramek
United States
Gridley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The group that I play with meets every Wed at the local Schlotsky's (I hope that is how it is spelled) Deli. It is a good size group and the folks there take good care of the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group is blessed with two game stores within 4 blocks of each other in a high traffic urban area, each of which with we have an agreement to utilize most of their ample gaming space for one board game night a week. I honestly don't know what we would do without these spaces. I would be very interested to know of alternatives (community centers, libraries, cafes, restaurants, etc.) that we would use if something ever happened (god forbid) to our current arrangements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the helpful replies so far.

A college would be great, but locally there is only a community college, and none of us are students there.

I've never seen anything going after closing time (8 pm) at the local library, though there are some good spaces there. We'd be happy to offer programs and introduce interested adults to this cardboard world, but not sure that any after hours activities are allowed.

I've checked with the local Sr. Center, which has fabulous spaces. I also think this would be a great demographic to introduce to the hobby (social, fun, engages brain cells, not physically demanding) but was basically told to buzz off -- people there play mah jong and bridge, and that is all there is to it.

How about high schools? There are a few teachers in the group -- is it frowned upon for teachers to use classrooms for their own extracurricular stuff like a game group?

How about churches? There are a few active church goers in the group, and we are all so well behaved ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've judged/played miniatures games at the Bookends Cafe and at the Oak Lawn Library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
The "sun room" at our local Panera Bread. Our group meets there 3 times a week and our Saturday game day is from 2:00 p.m. until closing time at 11:00 p.m. The space is large enough to hold our group of between 25-40 people on a weekend and the management encouraged us to meet there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.