Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
keith gell
United Kingdom
eastbourne
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking at some of the gorguous work produced by Nils for 1830, and I would like to use a similar technique for a new 18xx Game.

Some of these images use digital maps as a transparent background layer.

The area I had in mind would span from Richmond Virginia in the South to New York in the North.

Could anyone tell me if there is some online resoruce in the USA where I could get digital maps from?

Also, could anyone recommend me a good history book on US railraods?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
The US Library of Congress is a good place to start for maps:
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/rrhtml/rrhome.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Hall
United States
Hurricane
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Some books you might consider:

The North American Railroad by James E. Vance Jr.
Railroads Triumphant by Albro Martin
The Routledge Historical Atlas of the American Railroads by John F. Stover
The Encyclopedia of American Business History and Biography: Railroads in the Nineteenth Century edited by robert L. Frey

You can get most of these relatively cheaply as used books on Amazon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith gell
United Kingdom
eastbourne
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, this is really great,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith gell
United Kingdom
eastbourne
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks you for the list.

Which do you recommend I start with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Hall
United States
Hurricane
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm not sure which you should start with because I'm not sure what you need to learn. The North American Railroad book is probably your best overview of how the American railnet was built.

The Atlas and the Encycloedia are both the kinds of books that you can read in bite-sized bits, but they don't have as much prose on the whole process of how the railnet was built.

Railroads Triumphant is also a good overview, but I tend to like the Vance book a bit more. But that may not hold true for you.

Cost may also be a consideration. The cheap copies of the Vance book seem to be gone from Amazon (but check www.abebooks.com as well). The other books may be cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Keith,

concerning the map: if you're just looking for a boardbackground, maybe this page is a good ressource:
http://www.shadedrelief.com/

Using a vintage map as gameboard background won't be easy, since even those vintage maps in higher resolution tend to get very pixelated due to the text on them.

Another way for finding historical maps is google image search (extra large). The pages which contain the extra large images mostly contain other large images and a lot of links to other pages containing extra large images

Greets,
Nils

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used background maps from http://davidrumsey.com for my homebrew 18xx editions of 1800 and 1851:

Usage rights from the site:

Images may be reproduced or transmitted, but not for commercial use. For commercial use or commercial republication, contact carto@luna-img.com. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. By downloading any images from this site, you agree to the terms of that license.

Creative Commons License
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.