Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anybody point me to a (probably generic) player aid that can be used to help teach newbies various 18RR games? I am thinking about something that is about 5 X 8 and has a couple sections on the card.

1. A blank area labeled treasury where players store their personal treasury (and that the teacher can use to re-inforce the concept of company money vs. player money).

2. A super-set of the list of steps that occur in the operating round. Not even 100% sure this will work since some games have more steps than others (i.e. repay loans step). However, if a master super-set of all the steps has been generated, the teacher could explain what steps to skip for a specific title. Again, may not even be possible?

3. A small color-coded graphic showing the progress from phase to phase that could be used to remind players to keep the train rush in mind and that certain things will happen when each phase is triggered. I realize that game-specific player aids could add a lot more value with this line item and that it is not possible (due to the variation between games) to create a phase chart with details.

It would be similar to a company charter but for the player. Does such a player aid exist? Can you point me to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen such a thing. I have doubts about a "generic" aid for all 18xx games, though. If I were teaching the "system" to new players, I would pick a short and simple title (18AL, 18GA, 18FL all qualify) and create an aid specific to that game. Then, when you teach them a more involved title, they already have the basics down and you can focus on the differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. One tailored for a specific game would be best, as there are so many differences among the 60 or more titles:

1. Lay/upgrade track (in several games, other steps occur before this; e.g. moving survey party in 1829, buy/sell shares). Some games allow for two (or even more in 1829 Mainline) yellow tile lays! Cost for tile lays varies as well.

2. Place station (provide specifics for cost and restrictions - several different mechanisms for this).

3. Run trains (remembering to add bonuses where applicable; e.g. mail run in 1853, 'red to red' bonus in 18EU, Moscow/Warsaw/Odessa bonus in 1861)

4. Decide how to pay revenue (options depend on the specific game)

5. Purchase train(s) (restrictions and events triggered by train purchases vary widely)

Loans add an additional complication, as do other game-specific rules (such as 1870's destination runs and formation of public corporations at the end of operating rounds in 1861)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.