Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last October, my gaming buddy moved from Cuyahoga Falls, OH to Chambersburg, PA. This move was almost game over for this hobby. However, I stuck it out, found this site, and started playing games with my wife. Ticket to ride never quite replaced the CCG's and miniatures that we used to go crazy over, but tonight we found an unexpected gem to play with our wives.

I'll be honest, I had tried to teach my wife Agricola before, but I learned the hard way that some of us are simply destined to learn rules ahead of time and explain them clearly to the rest. That game ended with the wifey deciding that Agricola was "just too much." However, my buddy learned from my mistakes. He learned the rules and taught his wife in a more efficient manner, and she fell in love with the game. Keep in mind, our wives were best scrap-book buddies before the move.

So, last night, our friends returned to Ohio and our home for a fearsome game of 4 man Agricola. My wife was coerced into the game by my buddy's wife, and we did a much better job prepping her with some base knowledge ahead of time. Needless to say, it was a blast.

Here was the end result:

Pretty awesome game. There is so much happening in a 4 player game, that I found myself having trouble thinking ahead. Every time I thought I had a game plan, someone would steal my vegetable or slap a farmer in the love booth before I could reproduce. So, I found myself improvising quite a bit.

However, I pulled of a combo that gave me that cool feeling that I haven't had since I quit playing Magic years ago. It involved these:

All of a sudden, I had a way to stockpile wood and collect food without really worrying about grain or vegetables. It was so empowering. I built 14 fences in one turn. I turned around and added two rooms and 3 stables a few turns later. I could learn to love a game that offers combos like this, even if I didn't get them every game.

My end result was a victory. My board looked something like this:

I believe I scored 40 points. Not too bad for my first real non-solitaire attempt.

If I could have done anything differently, I would have picked up the well earlier. Once I learned that wood was my ticket to victory through the mushroom collector, I had no reason not to go for it. Why? The free food that the well offers over the next 5 rounds is no good if you buy it in the last round. I am not complaining about the 4 bonus points, but maybe I could have cracked 40 somehow if I had taken that well way earlier in the game.

So how did my "new to gaming" wife do, you ask? Not bad. See for yourself:

No begging cards!! She did all of that with 2 family members the whole time. I think that was all she could handle during her first real game, and I think she handled it quite well.

All and all, it was a great evening. BTW, Agricola jumped from a 7 to a 9 in my book tonight. Good times.

Thanks for reading,

Ben

(Special thanks to all of the users and BGG admins that helped me learn how to do this session report today!!! This site rocks. Woo-hoo!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Great report, loved reading it.

My wife was a bit intimidated by the 'Gric at first too, but now she loves it, and wants to play it constantly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
Great report, loved reading it.

My wife was a bit intimidated by the 'Gric at first too, but now she loves it, and wants to play it constantly

Thanks. I am hoping that my wife also warms to this game. It has so much to offer. (I do slightly fear the future whoopins' I might take when she fully understands the game, though. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Contway
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job and well written!

Yeah those combos are great when you get them in play. There's a whole lot of different ones that occur. Keep an eye open for ones that involve baking, those are fun too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.