Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there are no reviews here, I thought I'd post a short one to give people an idea of what Long Shot is all about.

In summary, Long Shot is a horse racing/betting game with a whole lot of luck and not a whole lot of strategy. Even with this high luck/low control you can get right into the game and be yelling and cheering for your favourite horse.

I picked this up at Origins after a quick demo at the Z-Man booth and ended up getting 3 games in (2, 5, and 6 players). The box says it plays 3-8 but I actually played it successfully with 2. The time on the box is correct, and it will play in about 45-60 minutes (including explanation!).

It's super easy to play. You have 10 horses, each with different odds and a special power. Two dice, a D6 (0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3), and a D10 that represents each of the horses on it's sides. On your turn you roll the two dice and move that horse forward the amount rolled. You also check the cards of the horses you own, which have a row of numbers on them. If the number rolled matches a number on the card, your horse also moves forward the number on the die. This only happens when YOU own the horse and YOU roll the die, so owning a horse will make them move a little quicker. There is a 'No Bets' area for the last 1/4 of the race where bets can no longer be placed on that horse. This can be frustrating where there is a horse real close you'd like to bet on this turn, and you end up rolling and moving him into the no bets zone Everyone does have a "reroll" token that they can use to reroll ONE die once per game which could help you in this kind of situation though.

If you roll a 0, you do not move any horses, but instead you get to steal an action card from whoever owns the horse you rolled, if it is unowned, you draw a card from the deck. If you own it, tough luck.

After you've moved the horses you get to choose between 4 actions:
1. Play a card
2. Sell 2 cards to the bank for $5
3. Place a $5 bet on a horse
4. Buy an unowned horse

After that, you draw a card and it's the next players turn.

That's all there is to the game, once three horses cross the finish line the owners collect money based on their position ($100, $75, $50) and then you calculate the payouts for the bets on the winning horses. Most money wins.
It doesn't seem like much, but our games ended up being extremely rowdy with a lot of cheering and funny looks from the other gamers in the room.

The cards have some humorous titles like Jockey Itch (send any horse back two spaces) or Grandma's Dividend Check (collect $10). The cards have many different actions like sending horses forward, backwards, collecting money based on different factors, stealing cards, placing bets, etc. There is a huge stack of cards included and adds a lot of fun to the game.

All in all, this is a very light horse racing game that plays in a short time that is a blast to play. One of my highlights of the convention!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Unck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for posting your review. I can't wait to play it. I should have it by this Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wozenilek
United States
Blue Ash
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this three times. The first two times with the dice provided by Z-man (0-1-1-1-1-3). The third time I used a new move die I bought at the convention (1-1-2-2-3-3) and I found the game moved much quicker and was more enjoyable.

I suggest picking up some extra dice to try out diffent combinations.

-Matthew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Handy
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great comments!

Just a quick note on the die altering. In playtesting (8 years worth), we have tried many die configurations. We decided on the final die (0,1,1,1,1,3) for a couple of key reasons.

The pacing of the game is just right with this above configuration. With 8 players, each gets enough turns to feel satisfied and to achieve enough in a game. If enough 3s and 2s are rolled early on using an altered die, it may only allow for 4-5 turns for some players in a 7-8 player game.

The single "3", added a level of excitement, being that it was less common to roll such a high number. 2's take away from this excitement as well.

Finally, the "0" adds some interaction, and somewhat of a balancing mechanic for those players that want to buy a lot of horses.

Certainly though, the die configuration can be altered for a different game.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisHandy wrote:

Just a quick note on the die altering. In playtesting (8 years worth), we have tried many die configurations.

I really enjoy the die you selected as well. Having just that one 3 makes it all that more exciting when you roll it. And stealing cards on the 0 does add that extra bit of interaction and fun.

I think using a 1/1/2/2/3/3 could make the game go much too quickly, since once you start owning horses you could be moving multiple horses 2/3 spots a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Unck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Hey Chris,

Just wanted to let you know that our family and friends all enjoyed Long Shot very much. Thanks for your hard work. It really shows through in the game. We had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.