United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a special kind of review that I designed because certain games in my collection have received such a massive number of reviews that one more from me would just be like a pebble in the ocean. Instead I thought that people that aren't familiar with the game in question could use a one-stop review that encapsulated the opinions of all the experienced gamers. Here's how it works:

If you have played Carcassonne: Please answer all the questions in this poll honestly, and to the best of your ability. Your opinions will be added to the masses so that new people will know what we think.

If you haven’t played Carcassonne and are here to learn more about it: Go to the bottom of the poll and click on the "Results" button. This will show you how others have been voting. You can use this information to figure out what the populace of www.boardgamegeek.com thinks about the game.

Poll: Carcassonne Cooperative Review Poll
12. What is your opinion of the quality of the components in Carcassonne?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Average
Poor
13. How easy is Carcassonne to learn for someone new to the game?
Simplistic. The rulebook is well laid out and everything should be understood the first time through.
Pretty easy. There are a couple rules that will take some review, but otherwise things are straightforward.
Average. There are some rules that could be confusing, but with a little practice it will be understandable.
Hard. There are rules that you will need to re-address even after playing the game several times.
Frustratingly difficult. You may never get the rules right because they are so messed up and confusing.
14. How would you rate Carcassonne as a "gateway" game for non-gamers?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Average
Poor
15. How would you rate the balance of luck to strategy in Carcassonne?
100% Luck & 0% Strategy
90% Luck & 10% Strategy
80% Luck & 20% Strategy
70% Luck & 30% Strategy
60% Luck & 40% Strategy
50% Luck & 50% Strategy
40% Luck & 60% Strategy
30% Luck & 70% Strategy
20% Luck & 80% Strategy
10% Luck & 90% Strategy
0% Luck & 100% Strategy
16. How would you rate Carcassonne with each number of players?
  Excellent Good Fine Average Poor
17. Have you ever had issues with Carcassonne slowing down because of analysis-paralysis?
No, I’ve never had that problem.
Occasionally, but only with certain players.
Yes, it happens all the time but I just grin and bear it.
Yes, but we remedied the situation by letting players draw the tile for their next turn at the end of their prior turn.
Yes, but we remedied the situation by having each player hold a "hand" of tiles that they can select from for their turn.
18. How much replay value do you think Carcassonne has?
Endless. It will always be a fresh game experience.
Tons. It will stand up to hundreds of plays.
Some. It will keep you entertained as long as you don't overplay it.
Limited. Only play it occasionally or it will get too programmed.
Nil. A couple plays are all you need.
19. Carcassonne has a massive number of expansions. How vital are they to the game?
Crucial. There is 1 or more expansion that makes the game work, and without them you won’t enjoy this game.
Important. Though the base game is playable without expansions it doesn’t really shine until you throw in one or more of the expansions.
Unimportant. They add a new feel or a new twist to the base game, but are only necessary if you want to add variety.
Pointless. The expansions, almost without exception, ruin the base game and should be avoided.
20. What is your overall opinion of Carcassonne as a game?
It's superb, one of my all time favorites.
It's really enjoyable, I have had a lot of fun playing it.
It's good, and I've gotten some enjoyment out of it.
It's mildly annoying, I just haven't had a good time with it.
It's awful, I regret ever playing it.
21. What do you rate Carcassonne on the BGG rating scale?
10 - Outstanding. Always want to play and expect this will never change.
9 - Excellent game. Always want to play it.
8 - Very good game. I like to play. Probably I'll suggest it and will never turn down a game.
7 - Good game, usually willing to play.
6 - Ok game, some fun or challenge at least, will play sporadically if in the right mood.
5 - Average game, slightly boring, take it or leave it.
4 - Not so good, it doesn't get me but could be talked into it on occasion.
3 - Likely won't play this again although could be convinced. Bad.
2 - Extremely annoying game, won't play this ever again.
1 - Defies description of a game. You won't catch me dead playing this. Clearly broken.
      243 answers
Poll created by Blott

If you have other poll questions that you would like to add or any questions, please post them in the comments below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, where are the first 11 questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgrandpa wrote:

I wish I knew. I noticed the same numbering issue a few minutes ago on my work computer. But now that I'm on my laptop the question numbers are gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the question numbers seem to have disappeared entirely. Must be a system issue.

Neat idea, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the numbers (12-21) when I am viewing the poll, but I do not see any numbers when I am viewing the poll results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hummel
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I take the poll and look at the results, I realize I must spend some time in this area of BGG and figure out what other people like about the game. It wasn't what I expected so I've been disappointed with the game. But there must be much to appreciate about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a review where you ask people to write reviews of the game in your thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgrandpa wrote:

I think your question counts as number 11... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Burns
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Carc, but anyone who thinks farmer scoring is easy or simplistic really wants their head seeing to... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
didaskalos wrote:
Romeo wrote:
I really like Carc, but anyone who thinks farmer scoring is easy or simplistic really wants their head seeing to... shake

It doesn't help that they changed the rules a couple times between printings.

When I teach the game, I leave farmers out and get them used to scoring roads, cities, and cloisters.

Then, at the end of the game, when complete fields exist, I introduce farmers, show them how they score, and use them in the next game.

I've never understood all the complaints about farmer scoring. We've scored farmers from the first game and never had a problem. We find it can make a huge difference in the final scoring, and we always factor it into our strategies. We misunderstood some other rules and played several intial games incorrectly, but the farmers were never confusing to our family gamers. As far as changing the rules, we just stick with the orginal ones we began with and don't worry about the new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How true!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Blott wrote:
gamesgrandpa wrote:

I wish I knew. I noticed the same numbering issue a few minutes ago on my work computer. But now that I'm on my laptop the question numbers are gone.

I assume you were making another poll at the same time? If you make multiple polls in one session, I think it just keeps increasing the questions numbers.

They disappear once you vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.